Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Archives > Our Jim in KY is affected by the terrible ice storm in Kentucky!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Please say a prayer for Jim and his family and his animals who are now dealing with the terrible effects of the ice storm in KY.

Jim has been a loyal participant at our group and has kept the ball rolling in so many threads.

About a half hour ago (a little after 10:00 AM-ET, 1/30/09), he posted the following:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm in to work briefly today, been out since Tuesday as we got killed with an ice/snowstorm. No power or phone & our house is electric. Keeping warm & getting 5 dogs & 4 horses taken care of has been eating me alive. Then I got a 24 hour stomach bug in the midst of it. They don't expect to restore power for another 7 - 10 days. Ugh!!!

"I haven't slept more than 3 hours at a stretch since this started about midnight Monday/Tuesday. I'm whacked. We're supposed to get another storm Monday, but hopefully it will get above freezing on Sunday.

"They closed Murray college, so my daughter is going to try to make it home today. No gas in the area & the parkway has been closed since Tuesday. Luckily, she's been staying with a friend whose parents have a woodstove, so she's been warm.

"It was mostly freezing rain that alternated with snow. The snow has helped. We have grass stems that are as big as my thumb due to the ice build up. Power lines are down all over & while getting Amber the other day, I crossed over at least 6 phone lines down across the road, so they can't even plow. I had to close off the north field as the phone line that crosses it is down almost to the ground. It's normally 11' at its lowest & 1/4" in diameter. I can barely get my hand around it now due to the ice buildup.

"Anyway, don't expect to hear much from me until sometime next week."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(See the above comment at the following thread): ===>
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

I hope they'll all be OK.

Please post some encouraging and caring notes here for him. Thanks.

Joy

message 2: by Regina (new)

Regina (luncrest) | 26 comments Hope things improve soon, hang in there! Your in our thoughts and prayers.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) oh my goodness-that ice does some awful damage....take care Jim & family...

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 19 comments Oh my what a terrible thing to go through, you have my prayers that you and your will kept safe and warm.

message 5: by S.A. (new)

S.A. (suerule) | 21 comments Jim,

I hope you come through it all intact - thinking of you and the real weather from a simply damp and chilly England.

Sue

message 6: by UpstateNYgal (new)

UpstateNYgal | 7 comments Jim and Family,

I cannot imagine how hard it must be.
Thinking good thoughts and sending good vibes your way.

Stay safe,

Donna S.

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Sending good thoughts (and warm ones!) your way Jim - hope things improve quickly!

message 8: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 9 comments Jim and family, best wishes for a quick warmup. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. We too have experienced no heat at minus 15 degrees below zero so our hearts go out to you and your entire family since we know what being cold is like and wouldn't wish it on anyone. It is heart wrenching to see our dogs come in from the cold with frozen paws and try desperately to warm up when there is no heat. Wishing you and yours a fast recovery, From the frozen wasteland of Hampton, NY.
Dianne

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Jim, hope things improve fast for you all. I prayed for you and also for my friend Priscilla in Arkansas who is also without power and sick.

I hope your dog hasn't had her puppies in this cold?

Alice in Colorado

message 10: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 30, 2009 12:36PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Alice wrote: "I hope your dog hasn't had her puppies in this cold?""

Alice, see Message #45 at: ====>
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 11: by John (new)

John | 14 comments Hi Jim,

I hope you and your family can stay safe during this cold spell. We're all hoping that it warms up soon!
--John

message 12: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Jacobs | 3 comments I will say a prayer for Jim also. We have been without power since Monday around midnight. We have been staying at my son's house about 7 miles away from where we live. The power just came on at our house last night around 9pm. It has been terrible, but I haven't had to take care of horses. The little town where we are looked like a war zone. My family members in Kennett,Missouri aren't likely to get power for another week. Pray that it will melt all the ice there. Most of the ice here melted today. KJ

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbaron) Hi Jim, I'm new to this group and don't know you, but I have immense respect for all the life you are working to keep fed and warm. Wishing you the best as well as more sleep; you and yours will be in my thoughts. H

message 14: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrapurdykong) I don't know you either, Jim, but I'm sending out a prayer and good thoughts for you and your family. Hang in there. You'll make it through.

message 15: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Good luck, Kj. Sorry to hear that you too have been a victim of this bad weather. Good luck to your family. Yes, I hope the ice melts very soon. Even here in northern NY we've had icicles for quite a while. The snow and ice keep building up. The snow is piled so high from the plows that it's hard to see around the corner as we drive the car. It's one rough winter!

message 16: by Werner (new)

Werner Jim, I know you won't be able to read this until you get access to a computer; but you and your family have been in our prayers here, too. I wish that Barb and I could help in a more direct way; but we'll be looking forward to the news that your current is restored and that things are getting back to normal!

message 17: by Eileen (new)

Eileen (eileencolucci) | 9 comments Jim,
Hope that you and all others affected by the harsh weather will stay safe and warm. I know my poor expat blood could not withstand a NY winter any more.

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Jim,
We miss you and hope you get some heat and power soon. As you know, my sister is in KY and she's having a hard time of it too. You guys really got slammed by all that ice. As of yesterday 3 PM she had 7 inches of ice on her deck. She had to leave her house today and stay wtih friends who have a generator. This was one destructive storm. I ce is so much worse because it's so heavy and pulls down powerlines, trees, etc. and of course makes road conditions dangerous.
We're all hoping to hear from you soon.

message 19: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hope you're sister will be OK, too, Jackie.
It's not only the discomfort and the inconvenience, but the stress of just being in such a threatening situation. My heart goes out to all of them.

I never thought this could happen in Kentucky.
I wonder how often it happens there.

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments My sister has been there for 15 years and I don't ever remember anthing like this happening to her.

message 21: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments After this, a lot of people will be buying generators so they'll be prepared in the future. It's a good time to invest in a company which manufactures and sells generators.

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Yes, but they are too expensive. We wanted one but can't afford it.

message 23: by Susan (NY) (new)

Susan (NY) Jim and family,
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the ice storm. Hopefully you will get your power back soon. I hope your family and all your animals are able to find a place to keep warm. You will be in my thoughts until we here from you again on goodreads.

message 24: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments Good luck Jim. We'll see you soon.

message 25: by Hubert (new)

Hubert (igoodreads) | 2 comments Never give up! Everyhing will be ok.I Belive you can fight it!

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Thanks all for the good wishes. Still no power, but we're dealing with it & haven't lost any pipes so far, although the hydrant outside my shop isn't running, which could be trouble.

Lots of branches down along the fence, but we have water, so that makes life a LOT easier. The little generator is doing good, although we will lose some food, but hopefully not much. Lots are buried in snow/ice next to the porch in laundry baskets with horse blankets over them.

Marg & Erin have been filling the generator at night which has helped a lot, since after a few hours of sleep, I can't go back to sleep. The lack of it was horrible.

Erin is on her way back to Murray College. They're still having to boil water & didn't have phones, but they think all will be OK for classes tomorrow. Murray was hit hard, losing a water tower & the AT&T tower, which meant we couldn't get in touch with her - very worrisome as any parent knows.

We're not sure when Marg is going back to work. Since we don't have power, the bus won't start anyway - needs the block heater running to warm it.

We just got a shower at my Son's house in Louisville. We took him to lunch as he's off to the Open Source Software Conference in Brussels, Belgium later this week. We also have a truck stop about 15 miles away where we can shower, but it's $8.50 a pop, so we've used it sparingly.

Thanks again & I'll chat more tomorrow.

message 27: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 01, 2009 11:31AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments So good to hear from you, Jim!
Thank you for the detailed update.
Glad to hear you've been able to make the best of a bad situation.
Gee, we were all so worried about you.
I've been hoping you could get through to the Internet sooner or later.
Good thing you had a generator.
Do you worry about running out of fuel for it?
I often think about that.

message 28: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments Welcome back Jim.

We have power in Glens Falls but I'm getting pretty sick of seeing 6-8 foot piles of snow everywhere I go-both sides of the road, the driveway, all around the mailboxes.

Someday it'll get above freezing again and some of this can melt!

message 29: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 01, 2009 11:49AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Don wrote: "Welcome back Jim ... (snipped)
Someday it'll get above freezing again and some of this can melt!"

Don, the snow will be here until April.
I can't wait for all the ice to melt!

message 30: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) Jim, Glad to hear you are surviving. Good wishes and prayers have been said for you from here in Arizona. Keep your chin up, don't make yourself sick from lack of sleep, and remember Spring is really just around the corner! :)

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Thanks again for all the good wishes. Looks like it all worked out. I'm back at work today & Marg will be driving the bus, but starting an hour late.

We got electric at 7pm last night. We had a 48 degree day yesterday & all the ice on the wires & trees melted off. The ground is now a sheet of ice, but the gutters & all got freed up. The wire in the north field rose back up within a foot of where it had been, too. Still a little low for the horses, but high enough I opened the field back up for them.

I got all the branches off the fence line & only have one place to repair, but even it isn't low enough to be a problem. There's still one big branch hanging that may take out the fence, but it will just have to come down on its own. In the meantime there is plenty to clean up.

We learned a lot from this. The propane heaters were our saving grace. By putting one on a dolly, I could move it between the tack room & the house or to the shop. The 30 gallon tanks lasted a lot longer than I expected. I thought one was almost empty but it ran all night last night in the shop getting it back up to temperature. I'm going to get a real propane heater for the house & another tank. That will give us enough to swap around easily. Kerosene wasn't available for a while, stinks & would require keeping more stuff around. Propane was plentiful throughout, though.

Getting out to get propane or gas was tough at first, so I'll make sure to keep the bottles filled & at least 10 gallons of gas on hand. The generator goes through about 5 gallons a day. Heat is the big deal, though. With city water, the pipes freezing is our biggest concern.

We do have 10 gallons of drinking water on hand since Marg has two 5 gallon containers she uses for the horses at shows. We have a pond & a well that we can get water out of for the horses, dogs & for flushing toilets or washing.

Anyway, all seems to have gone pretty well & the hydrant is running outside my shop, so we weathered it pretty well. Due to the animals, we're stuck. We know a few more things we're going to do to make life more livable the next time it happens. Live & learn.

message 32: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 02, 2009 05:37AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thanks for explaining how you survived the ice storm, Jim. The propane heaters saved the day. And it was handy to have the water from the pond. Was the pond frozen?

Yes, you'll be better prepared if this should ever happen again. We should all be thinking of being prepared for long outages. They seem to be occurring more often these days, for one reason or another. It's a frightening prospect.

message 33: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 02, 2009 05:40AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim, was it necessary to have the tanks of propane inside the house?
Is that worrisome?

Do you use propane heaters as a regular thing, perhaps for the animals?

When we had a 5 day outage here a few years ago during the winter, our kerosene catalytic heaters saved the day. We didn't have the generator at that time.

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments I don't worry about propane cylinders in the house. They're not going to hurt anything or be dangerous. I worried about the heaters attached to them as they're not rated for indoor use. I noticed that most kerosene heaters aren't any more either. Seems to be one of those insurance things.

I have a carbon monoxide detector, which is the biggest worry. I have the tank tied to a dolly & backed into a corner so it is tough to knock over - the next biggest worry. Still, we weren't running them while asleep. I plan to buy a better propane heater that I can mount to the wall, has a thermostat & is rated for indoor use. I'll still run the carbon monoxide detector, too.

For 8 years, ending about 10 years ago, we lived in a horrible old farm house where we heated with kerosene & a wood stove. I will never heat with kerosene again, if I can possibly avoid it. We got 'blacked' a few times. The wick would suddenly start smoking just a little & we'd get oily smoke all over the place. Yuck. I hate the smell of the stuff now.

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Dianne - do you guys have heat yet?!!! I must admit to skimming through here quickly - so much to catch up on. I just saw that you're so cold! Let us know, please.

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Jackie, have you heard from your sister? I hear there are still 165,000 without power. Best wishes to her.

Getting a generator is tough & expensive. You can buy a 5000W one for $600, but in a year or three, it may not deliver the proper current to your appliances & you could lose them. I opted for a $1000 generator that only does 2000W. It's a Honda & if it can't deliver the right power at the right frequency, it shuts down. A new fridge is $800 or more. Not worth it.

When I was looking into generators, I found that they should be run under a load for 30 minutes monthly. If you don't, they lose their generating ability or can. Mine is only 50 lbs when full of gas, so gets used more as it's handy on the farm. I can put it into the back of my truck one handed & carry it for quite a ways without a problem.

It will only run one major appliance at a time plus a couple of lights. That's kind of a pain, but it was the best I could afford (more than, really) & the best for me all around. It is 110V only, so won't run the hot water or drier, certainly not the heating system.

I'd have to go to about $3500 to run the heating system, though. Since we don't have natural gas piped in our way, that means putting in a propane tank or lots of diesel/gas storage & then you worry about it going bad. It was $5000 or more to replace the house heat with propane.

I think I got the best generator for me. We've used it twice now, once per year, during power outages. Last year was only 10 hours. This year 6 days straight. I don't think I could have kept a big generator fed properly for 6 days. I have neighbors that had that problem. One was going through 15 gallons of gas a day. The others about 10. I was using 5.

message 37: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 9 comments Jim wrote: "Dianne - do you guys have heat yet?!!! I must admit to skimming through here quickly - so much to catch up on. I just saw that you're so cold! Let us know, please."

Jim, we do have heat now but most of the problem was our own inexperience with oil heat. When living in Boston we usually had gas heat and then we moved to Arizona and New Mexico for the past ten years or so. This is why the dogs aren't accustomed to such cold either. We came back to New England to be closer to family and here we are using oil heat. We found out the hard way that oil freezes when not mixed with kerosene (hate it) so naturally when the temps fell below zero everything froze up. A few weeks ago it was actually minus 15 degrees below zero, oil and kerosene froze up and there goes another lesson to be learned! We are now using all kerosene. We aren't too far from Joy in Glens Falls so she must have had similar weather as well but was more prepared than we apparently were. Never having been so cold before our hearts went out to you and your family. Wouldn't wish it on anyone! So glad you are getting back to some normalacy. We too are going to be more prepared come next winter - like maybe Florida???? All the best to you and your family. Glad to have you back with us. I've learned a lot from your posts.
Dianne

message 38: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim - Eddie's been listening to me read your posts aloud, the ones about heaters and generators. I want him to hear what you have to say because I think we can learn from your knowledge and experience. Eddie is pretty knowledgeable about technical things but there's always room for more information.

I'm also learning this way because your posts prompt me to ask Eddie questions and he explains things further. I think you and Eddie would have some interesting conversations.

message 39: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hi Dianne - We have an oil-fired furnace at our summer place and a gas-fired furnace in town here. The oil tank is in the basement with the furnace. So the oil doesn't freeze.

I hope you're keeping warm these days. We have hot-air heating here and it's not as even a heat as hot-water-baseboard heating. So the temperature in the house fluctuates too much. I'm always putting on my sweater or taking off my sweater.

The older I get, the harder the winters seem. I can't wait until spring. At least the winters teach us to appreciate the summers. (g)

message 40: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 9 comments Hi Joy, If our oil tank was in the basement we wouldn't have these problems but we are renting a mobile and the propane tank and oil tank are at the back outside. Live and learn I say. NOW, that we know what happened and what needs to be done, hopefully we won't have this problem again. Also, we definitely need to get some inside portable heaters because we had none - we were so-o-o-o unprepared. As we get older my husband Steve and I just don't like the cold. Long gone are the days when we'd bundle up, take our books we're reading stuff them in the backpack and hike the Mt. Washington Auto Road in NH or any other packed trail to sit in the snow, in the sun, relax and read. We loved a nice winter hike and picnic. I'm afraid those days are gone for us! These achy joints need some warmth to them!

And, yes, the days are getting longer so winter is slowly on its way out. Keep warm!
Dianne

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Joy, I'm sure Eddie could teach me a thing or three. I'm with Diane, live & learn. I TRY HARD to look ahead, research stuff & make sure we're prepared, but I never get it all right.

I'd love to have a different setup. If I had built the house, there are things I'd have done differently. I was a remodeler for 15 years & learned a couple of things. I have a tight budget, a pretty good existing house & so there are some things that will just never be perfect. I don't plan on moving just to fix them, either. Otherwise I might be meeting Diane in Florida!

Diane, glad that things are looking up. I hadn't known about using kerosene mix with oil or pure kero. I know some people were using it in diesel trucks & tractors, but I thought that was for beating the road tax only. Diesel will also gel, but kero in the mix STINKS! Hope you're not getting much of that smell in the house. Glad you're warm & thanks for the kind words.

message 42: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Diane, you're so right about "achy joints" needing warmth. I don't know what I'd do without my electric throw-blanket. Even the dog likes it. (lol)

Sounds as if you've lived in several different parts of the country. We've lived in NYS all our lives. So we have no basis for real comparison. I know that each area of our country has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Personally, if I could, I would be a snowbird and go to southern Florida for the winter, but Eddie loves the North Country (he doesn't like FL) and I can't afford to go to Florida by myself. If I could, I would, if only for a month or two.

message 43: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim, I know what you mean about the fact that some things will never be perfect. Like you, we "have a tight budget, a pretty good existing house" and situaton. So we don't see the sense in trying too hard to make things perfect. Sometimes the effort of changing things just isn't worth it.

If I've learned anything in my 74 years of life, I've learned that everything in life is a trade-off. We just can't have it all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"He who knows what is enough, will always have enough." -Tao
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

message 44: by Ilyn (last edited Feb 03, 2009 12:40AM) (new)

Ilyn Ross (Ilyn_Ross) It's great that everything is now fine with you and your family, Jim. Best wishes.

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Thanks! And lots of thanks again to all for their good wishes.

Last night I put away the generator, propane heaters, gas, extension cords, camp stove, candles, etc...!!! Wow, we dragged a lot out. All is in my shop, just a couple of hundred feet from the house, so it's easy enough to get out again, if needed. (Hope NOT!!!) We are supposed to get 1 - 3" of snow today, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments I fixed my neighbor's pipe last night after work since an emergency plumber was going to take a few days & be $200. If the electric had stayed on Saturday, when they teased us for 30 minutes, he wouldn't have blown that pipe. It went 4 hours after the electric went back off, so he & his moved to a friend's house in town for a couple of days. They moved back in last night.

If a pipe had to go, this was the best one. It was in the garage & exposed. It was copper & originally I was going to splice in a new piece of copper. It was going to be a tough job because it's jammed in a corner with no where to gain any slack in the pipe & using a torch would be a pain. You need a little slack to put the new pipe in between the copper unions.

Instead of Home Depot or Lowe's, I deal with a locally owned, small hardware store. I'd rather pay a little more & have the personal service. Joe Chisum, the owner proved me right again. I was wandering the aisle looking for a wire brush for cleaning the inside of the 1/2" unions & he asked if he could help. I told him what I was doing & he steered me in another direction.

Instead of copper unions, he showed me "SharkBites"
http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre....
which are couplings that don't require sweating (heating with torch & soldering) but just snap on to the pipe & they're rated for in wall use. I normally don't trust gadgets like that, but he recommended them as did Larry, the plumber who was sitting at the back table, smoking & drinking coffee with a few others. (It's a small, friendly store.) A copper union is 50 cents & a SharkBite is $8 & I'd need two. Ouch!

I mentioned the space issue & got a piece of flexible, plastic pipe for $2.50, which I couldn't use with copper unions. A piece of copper that length was $16. Ouch! (Solder is up to $14 for 1/2 lb. but I have that & acid already.) All in all, it was about the same to use the SharkBites. Total cost for the repair was $20.

I went with the new fangled setup. Took me 15 minutes, most of which was spent stripping the paint off the pipe where I needed to cut it out & join it. Worked perfect first try, too. No burns on the drywall or problems with that crappy antimony solder, either. (You can't get lead solder any more & antimony is really picky about the temperature. No problem for a real plumber, but for someone like me who does it only occasionally can have issues.)

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know about the SharkBites. ANYONE can now fix a pipe. All you need is a pipe cutter. They accept a couple of types of pipe & you can even pull them apart (if you try real hard) & be reused. I don't guess I'll be able to live without them any more...

message 47: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments I forgot the ice pictures, but had some others from the first day of the storm. Looking out the patio door from our dining room, we can see the barn. Speedy & Topaz were playing, so I snapped some shots through the glass door. Not the greatest, but they're kind of fun.
http://www.wysiwygwood.com/horseplayp...

message 48: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hi Jim,
Thanks for your explanations. I've emailed Eddie a copy of your post and the URL to the SharkBite webpage. As I've said, he's a Mr. Fixit and I think you Mr. Fixits can learn a lot from each other.

Ed's already remarked on the info you gave in your post. He's learned something new. He says he saw a plumber at our assn. pump house use something like a SharkBite and he wondered about it. He also said, he was able to remove it to put a water meter in place, and then he was able to easily put the SharkBite back in place. But he didn't know it was a SharkBite and wondered about its dependability. Eddie monitors the assn. pump house at our summer place.

Eddie sits across from me in his matching recliner in our living room. We both have our own laptops on our laps. So we send each other "stuff". (lol)

I see you made use of your campstove. That's what we often do during outages. Thank goodness we're campers. I also keep cans of Sterno for emergencies... and kerosene lanterns ... and lots of battery operated lights. I suppose we should stock up on batteries too.

Jim, I've been wondering... do you have to heat the barn where the horses are kept? How much cold can horses stand?

message 49: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6066 comments Prayers do help. I remembered you and your family at Mass last Sunday and in my evening prayers. I am glad you all survived; including the animals. I remember praying for my daughter's horses in somewhat similiar situations with our devasting ice storm seven years ago. In spite of the misery it looked like a wonderland, if only for a second you could actually appreciate it's cold beauty. Take care, nina

message 50: by Nina (last edited Feb 03, 2009 08:30AM) (new)

Nina | 6066 comments Jim wrote: "I forgot the ice pictures, but had some others from the first day of the storm. Looking out the patio door from our dining room, we can see the barn. Speedy & Topaz were playing, so I snapped som..."
I love the pictures.You won't forget this trial but how wonderful to have some humor to go with the misery. nina

« previous 1

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Power Lines (other topics)