Writers Wanted!!! discussion

1 view
In Your Opinion...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) In your opinion, what makes a book a bestseller?

J-Lynn Van Pelt When the story doesn't loose the focus on the characters. Scares, thrills, drama, shocks, etc. are fine, but readers have to identify with and care about the characters.

Also, the marketing campaign of a major publishing company helps.

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (robin10hood) a bestseller is merely a book that gets a lot of attention. it doesn't matter how good it is. in fact, i enjoy the 'humbler' books. kindof give it a try.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (aliceinlove) | 32 comments Mod
in a away i agree. most of the best sellers are boring. Most bestsellers are written by Tom Clancy, James Patterson...ect. i have a few favorite authors of bestsellers but i'm not a huge fan of them

message 5: by Kevin (last edited Jan 03, 2008 08:42AM) (new)

Kevin | 5 comments the problem with the bestseller idea is that there are a lot of people out there and some people like one type of book, some people another, so its not like the book will appear attractive to everyone or even a majority, much like the classics.

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 7 comments I agree with Dianna: a best seller is one that gets a lot of attention regardless of how good it is. I've read some horrible best sellers (horrible in my opinion). Marketing is the key, really.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I think bookstores definition of bestsellers is the quantity of books that are sold. I don't think they care about the quality of a book.

message 8: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chlover) | 1 comments What makes a book a bestseller is simply how many book are sold. Take the Harry Potter series for instance. What makes that a bestseller? The characters are interesting, and many people, no matter what age, love to read the books. Because of this, more books are sold. It doesn't have to be the best writing, just a pretty good plot and interesting characters.