Drizzt Do Urden discussion

Suggested Authors

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 13 comments I have not been able to find another author like R.A. Salvatore. I appreciate his writing style and characterization. I am hoping that some of you can suggest another author for me to enjoy.

message 2: by Kataury (new)

Kataury um.... I don't know any other authors that write like Salvatore does... but there is an author that's pretty up there next to him. Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy is one of my favorites.

message 3: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 13 comments Kataury wrote: "um.... I don't know any other authors that write like Salvatore does... but there is an author that's pretty up there next to him. Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy is one of my favorites."

Thanks for the recommendation. I will give it a try.

message 4: by Brian (last edited Jan 31, 2009 07:12AM) (new)

Brian (fantasyaddict) | 14 comments I see you've read the Chroncles of Thomas Covenant, He has written a new trilogy in the Covenant series. The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I also would recommend Ed Greenwood's Band of four series, Silent House and Knights of Myth Drannor.

message 5: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 13 comments Brian wrote: "I see you've read the Chroncles of Thomas Covenant, He has written a new trilogy in the Covenant series. The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I also would recommend Ed Greenwood's Band of four s..."

Hey Brian, Thanks for the advice! I will give Ed Greenwood another chance and I look forward to reading the new covenant series.

message 6: by Olin (new)

Olin | 113 comments ive given greenwood too mant chances.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian (fantasyaddict) | 14 comments Yea, I've read several of his books and started several others I never could finish. See my currently reading list,lol. The ones that I mentioned here were, I thought, the best of the ones I've read, especially the Band of Four books.

message 8: by Kataury (new)

Kataury I haven't tried him yet.

message 9: by Olin (new)

Olin | 113 comments dont

message 10: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 9 comments You could always try my book. =)

Dreamsbane of Tamalor by Bradley James Simpson

message 11: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 13 comments Bradley wrote: "You could always try my book. =)

Dreamsbane of Tamalor by Bradley James Simpson"

Shameless, but I like it. I will definitely read your book. Thanks!

message 12: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 9 comments So, promoting a lot is pretty shameless but I think it has some meaning. You can take a look at the polygot of books I have in my reading list. Personally, I love Drizzt and family. =) As for anything like it.. I really could not say. Although RA Salvatore has written more than just the Drizzt series. Might be worth checking out. =)

http://www.cardshark.com/content/view...

message 13: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 13 comments Bradley wrote: "So, promoting a lot is pretty shameless but I think it has some meaning. You can take a look at the polygot of books I have in my reading list. Personally, I love Drizzt and family. =) As for anyth..."

Thanks again and I will peruse your book list for ideas. However, I am most interested in reading your book. As for R.A. Salvatore’s books, I think I have read them all at one point or another. I have even read the new book he put out with his son Geno. It was readable. It may be my least favorite Salvatore book and it is clearly a set up for another series. Maybe the sequel will be better. Hopefully other readers appreciated it more than I did.

message 14: by Bradley (last edited Feb 17, 2009 12:41PM) (new)

Bradley | 9 comments Talking about a parent/child combo, have you had a chance to read one of Todd McCaffrey's books? It is palatable.. but I don't really care for it. It has vague Pernish flavor.. but not the same thing. =)

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

message 15: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 13 comments Bradley wrote: "Talking about a parent/child combo, have you had a chance to read one of Todd McCaffrey's books? It is palatable.. but I don't really care for it. It has vague Pernish flavor.. but not the same thi..."

Oddly enough, I have not read any of Todd McCaffrey's, or his mother's, books.

message 16: by Kataury (new)

Kataury The Pern series never really seemed to stick on me... then again I haven't tried the real series that she started.

message 17: by Bradley (last edited Feb 18, 2009 04:49AM) (new)

Bradley | 9 comments I read constantly when I am on one of my benders. I will admit I only read Pern for the dragons.. only reason why a sci-fi would stick with me as such. =)

http://quizilla.com/users/orcishdream...

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian (fantasyaddict) | 14 comments I want my own fire-lizard!!

message 19: by Ben (new)

Ben Robert Jordan, Pierce Anthony, E.E. Knight, Margaret Weise,

message 20: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 9 comments Actually, I recommend Elric to people who want to read something as edgy as Drizzt. Gotta love an anti-hero. =)

message 21: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Elric?

message 22: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 9 comments Ahem, the Elric Saga by a british author named Michael *wait for it* Moorecock. It is somewhat older but still good. =)

message 23: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 13 comments Bradley wrote: "Ahem, the Elric Saga by a british author named Michael *wait for it* Moorecock. It is somewhat older but still good. =)"

For those who are not familiar, Elric is definitely an anti-hero and worth a look. I read one of Robert Jordan's book and was not hooked, but I did enjoy Margaret Weise. I have not read E.E. Knight and I will look into it.

Thanks,

Shawn

message 24: by Ben (new)

Ben Robert Jordan is amazing but u have 2 like long books and series 2 like his books
E.E. Knight is writing a series from the Dragons point of view

message 25: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 9 comments Actually, I do love long books. =)

message 26: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 13 comments Ben wrote: "Robert Jordan is amazing but u have 2 like long books and series 2 like his books
E.E. Knight is writing a series from the Dragons point of view"

Thanks Ben! An old girlfriend had been passionate about Jordan and I am willing to give him another chance. I was reading several other books at the same time I gave him a try and maybe he simply didn't compare. On his own he may just surprise me. I don't remember his books being particularly long, but I will find out soon enough.

Thanks again,

Shawn

message 27: by Ben (new)

Ben i think the shortest is 800 pages, n the last book in the Wheel of Time by him and brandon sanders is due out this fall

message 28: by Olin (new)

Olin | 113 comments i just finished book 11 and for only the second time EVER, in starting over on the series right away. only this time in keeping a notebook of all the names of the characters. so i can keep track of the "little" people of the story strait .
when i first started the WOT i didnt like it, but it grew on me, and now it is my second fav, right behind drizzt.

message 29: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 9 comments Are you gonna read the work slapped together by this other author? =)

http://www.cardshark.com/content/view...

message 30: by Ben (new)

Ben yes!! its not going 2 b slapped 2gether he has notes left by rober jordan and recordings(i think) and robert jordan's wife helped him alot n she'll help brandon and brandon has written his own series so he knows what hes doing

message 31: by Olin (new)

Olin | 113 comments i dont think that it will be slaped togather eather

message 32: by Stephen light (new)

Stephen light | 62 comments ill have to try alot of these books robert jordens good im about to start number 2 and im currently reading i think lost tales of middle earth book one and its good. the elric saga sounds good too.oo and for good books try shannara books. at first its like wtf this is copy so generic but its not after a while they get to be amazingly in depth with the characters.
((Sorry for poor grammer and such im in a hurry))