FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Hurdles > commute home temptations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mary elizabeth (last edited Jan 30, 2009 06:39AM) (new)

mary elizabeth  Williams hi, i wanted to bring up something i have been struggling with to get suggestions. for context and background: i do physical labor at work that is very demanding, and tend to get very hungry during the day. i pack lunch and snacks for the day that are healthy and satisfying. my boyfriend is a great cook, and i love having dinner with him in the evenings.
my conundrum is this: i take public transportation home, and have to walk through a station with a dunkin donuts. they bake the cookies and donuts in the station, so it always smells really good. no matter how satisfied i am, and no matter how much i know that a good dinner is waiting for me at home, i have to use all my will power to resist stopping by and getting donuts!
i have given in once so far. each donut is about 300 calories, so i think about that a lot, and how i won't feel better after i eat it. but the issue for me is knowing that it is coming, and that i have to resist. its more a level of frustration with resisting day after day after day more than a problem of giving in.
does anyone have any suggestions on how i can make this not an issue? i am at my wits ends.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 30, 2009 07:04AM) (new)

RandomAnthony Heh...I hear you on this one. I'm only a slight detour from two Taco Bells. As long as I stay on the hallway I'm safe.

What about taking something with that's healthier to eat while you're passing?

message 3: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Two things... take a different route... if it is longer, all the better. If that is not realistic as RA says, keep your hands full with a healthy snack.

I am going to look for an article we had here on Bagels... kind of similar to the donut thing... Something like eating a donut a day is the equivalent of gaining 30lbs a year or something ridiculous... If you know just how bad it is for you (aside from 300 calories not being bad enough), then you might be able to walk by unphased.

Trust me - I am with you on this one... If there is a box of donuts in front of me, there is NO WAY I am just having one!!!

message 4: by Angelica (last edited Jan 30, 2009 01:32PM) (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Wow, I suffer this too. Except mine is when they have donuts or bagels in one of the rooms at my work. I like Trudy's idea of avoiding it if you can. I also like Random's idea of eating while passing. My advice would be gum. I find that when I'm chewing gum, I'm not ready to jump on food and growl at people. Also as stupid as this sounds, try an affirmation too (Gosh I feel like such a moron for suggesting it, but it has helped me in tough times... something like "I'm healthy and in control of my eating habits" or something like that. I read that idea from Think Thin, Be Thin. They say 20xs in morning and 20xs in the evening. Again, I really feel like a doofus for suggesting it).

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 90 comments Mod
I know it's hard, boy oh boy. Someone once told me, those "donuts" or whatever will always be there. Is it worth it to give in now? I think Petunia is right the affirmations will help. A lot of good suggestions here, you'll do the right thing.

message 6: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) That is a great way to look at it Debbie... The donuts will ALWAYS be there... There is no sense of urgency to have it now, so keep walking.

After this thread all I could think about was donuts this weekend... lol... and there are three Dunkin Donuts from the gym to my house... sigh... But now I am looking at it like this: If you want one later, go out and get one... ONE - and maybe just a munchkin at that!!! That is actually a good idea for me... so I think the next time I am going crazy about it, I will get a couple (two) of munchkins instead of a whole donut!

mary elizabeth  Williams Trudy: I've done that before! If you ask for one munchkin they do not charge you!! But, that's just in case of donut cravings emergencies!

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 90 comments Mod
Good job, I think I like this too! Reading what you write sometimes makes for a big eye opener!

message 9: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) WOW - don't tell me the munchkins are free... LOL... I have enough DD's near me to schedule a donut emergency almost every day!!! : )

mary elizabeth  Williams ok, so today is my first trip past the DD since this conversation... my mantra is: I don't think I can, I know I can. I know I can!

message 11: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) GOOOOOOO Beth!!!

message 12: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Awesome!!! I love that mantra!!! Hope it helped today Beth!

mary elizabeth  Williams Hi all, Just to report back. I made it! Phew! It really wasn't a problem. Good news all and all!

message 14: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Yay! Beth!!!

message 15: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) So beth - how goes it these days with the donut temptation?

mary elizabeth  Williams Hi Trudy, Thanks for asking! I haven't been back to D.D. since! I have to admit I've been tempted, but have resisted. Now if only I could resist ice cream when I am drunk.
I had a pint glass sundae, delish by the way, yesterday. Only after I finished it did I realize, that it was a full pint of ice cream. HA! I feel pretty disgusting today.

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 90 comments Mod
Cliche here - tomorrow's another day. Pull your self up and start over tomorrow. Your human and allowed to have slip ups. Don't beat yourself up, nobody is worse on us than ourselves, right? Sorry, I see me in your words..... :)

mary elizabeth  Williams thanks debbie, i really appreciate those kind words. i will try to think about them today anytime i am down.

message 19: by Trudy (last edited Mar 11, 2009 10:51AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) WTG on resisting DD...

LOL - I know what you mean on the ice cream!!!
not when I am drunk though : )

That might be the reason you felt "disgusting"... you might want to rethink the cravings... beer and ice cream... that can't be a good combo for your tummy.
LOL

message 20: by mary elizabeth (last edited Mar 11, 2009 03:15PM) (new)

mary elizabeth  Williams No, I tend to get really bad heartburn when I overeat, so much so that I can't lay down. You would think I would learn my lesson, but I always seem to forget after that second beer.
See my St. Patty's Day post....