The Pacific Northwest Contingent discussion

Best NW fiction?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gareth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:25AM) (new)

Gareth i liked it

message 2: by Patti (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Patti | 3 comments Hi - I'm new to the group too, but I have to plug David James Duncan - especially The Brothers K.

message 3: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Michael | 1 comments Benjamin Percy's collection, The Language of Elk. perfectly nails contemporary eastern Oregon.

oh, and Charles D'Ambrosio: his collection, The Point and then the essays from ClearCut, called Orphans--most of these essays originally appeared in the Stranger

I really loved Craig Lesley's latest, the memoir, Burning Fence, too. So direct and sad and inspiring.

message 4: by Linera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Linera Molly Gloss The Jump-Off Creek
David Long The Inhabited World
Michael Byers The Coast of Good Intentions
Martha Gies Up All Night

Those are my current favorites for Pacific NW Books.

message 5: by Martha (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

Martha | 2 comments Citizen Vince by Jess Walter

message 6: by Jo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Jo | 1 comments This is such an impresive list, and I have been having trouble narrowing but I don't want this to be a LIST, so on this day at this time I love most the feel good books of Debbie Macomber.

message 7: by Patti (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Patti | 3 comments Having just recently read it, I'll have to add The Littlest Hitler by Ryan Boudinot. Very good.

message 8: by Dave (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Dave Clapper | 1 comments Patti, between Duncan and Boudinot, I'm thinking our tastes in fiction are REALLY similar.

message 9: by Kevin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Kevin (kevinsampsell) | 2 comments Boudinot is definitely up there, especially for an up and comer. But I'd have to throw in a vote for The Motel Life by Portland's Willy Vlautin. It's my favorite novel of the year. Such a sweet, strange, depressing, funny, and even magical story about two brothers on the run from their life and the power of dreaming/storytelling.

Other great NW novels--Geek Love by Katherine Dunn, Please Don't Kill the Freshman by Zoe Trope, Girl by Blake Nelson, Winslow in Love by Kevin Canty, the works of Rebecca Brown, some Tom Robbins, Clown Girl by Monica Drake, some Palahniuk, and some Brautigan. Alexie and D'Ambrosio too.

message 10: by Dawnelle (new)

Dawnelle Wilkie (dawnelle_wilkie) | 1 comments I agree with Alexie completely. Also Ryan Boudinot's The Littlest Hitler was great. And I'm glad someone else read D'Ambrosio's Orphans, a wonderful little (literally, the book is physically tiny) collection of essays. The Dead Fish Museum was equally good. I also quite enjoyed Tanarive Due's The Living Blood (though it is neither set in PacNW nor written while she was living here so I'm not sure it counts) and The Good House, also by Due and set in southern WA. A bit pulpy, both of them, but quite enjoyable.

message 11: by Jen (last edited Jan 23, 2008 08:54AM) (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) Thanks all for the great recommendations. These are amazing. My to-read list is growing exponentially!

I would second Citizen Vince by Jess Walter - excellent story, plus if you happen to be from Spokane you'll feel right at home in this book.

I would also add:
Atomic Farmgirl - Teri Hein
Snow Falling on Cedars and East of the Mountains - David Guterson

message 12: by Patrick (last edited Jan 25, 2008 12:48PM) (new)

Patrick Ahern | 1 comments I again have to the nominate Citizen Vince. Love this book! And it's not just my Spokane heritage speaking. How about Raymond Carver? Cathedral is great!(I know, little late on the feedback. I just started this goodreads business.)

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (goodreadscommelissa_johnson) | 1 comments I would have to add Tom Robbin's Another Roadside Attraction, as it paints such a cool visual image of the Olympic Penninsula and Pacific Northwest. I just love the quirky characters placed in a location fimilar to me.

message 14: by Keri (new)

Keri | 5 comments I have discovered Kate Wilhelm last year and really enjoying her books. Having trouble finding some of the earlier ones since they weren't available on the Nook.