Education Books discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 64 comments Mod
Hello Dorothy,
I'm happy to see you here. I think this group might be especially interesting to people in the helping professions.

Jeanne

message 2: by Jeanne (new)

Hello Edward,

Welcome to a group where we can discuss and learn about many kinds of education books. I will be posting some suggested book titles here, but no one is required to read them. We can talk about education ideas, too. I am very glad to see you here. Since you have attended school in the U.S. and in Korea, you have had a wonderful opportunity to learn from two very different school systems.

message 3: by Jeanne (new)

Hello Martyn,

Welcome! As a retired teacher, Deputy Head Teacher and fantasy/adventure author, you must have read hundreds of books on the subject of education. I am looking forward to hearing your views. Please consider adding some titles that interest you.

Jeanne

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Lee (bigd0707) What do we do in this group?

message 5: by Jeanne (new)

Hi Daniel,

I am happy to see you here. You can tell us about education in Korea. I see that you have read many books in English and that you play a musical instrument. I am very impressed by your mastery of English. Have you studied English only in school or have you had extra classes outside of school? Did you learn to play the saxophone in school?

In this group, we can talk about education. What kind of education is best? We can also talk about books that give us ideas about education. For example, there is a book called 'The Seven Intelligences'by Howard Gardner. This book has
changed the way that many educators think and has inspired new ways of teaching.

Traditionally, schools have focused on two very important intelligences -- linguistic and mathematical -- but they have ignored other intelligences that are important for success in life.
I will write more about the Howard Gardner book for this group.

message 6: by Jeanne (new)

Welcome Marieke, Alessandra, Richard, William, Steven and Margaret!

It's great to see some Goodreads authors here and some international participants. Please feel free to add some books for discussion or some topics of interest. I value your contributions and opinions.

message 7: by Jeanne (new)

Hi Alycia,
Welcome to the education books group. Let us know if there is a particular topic you would like to explore or a book you would like to discuss.

message 8: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 19 comments hi jeanne, this looks like it could become a very interesting group! i sent an invite to a friend who works as a literacy coach...

message 9: by Jeanne (new)

Thank you, Marieke, I look forward to meeting your friend. I noticed that you listed 'education reform' as an interest on your profile, so you have come to the right place.

Unfortunately, literacy in the U.S. has declined over the last 20 or 30 years, as has competence in mathematics. Now, when U.S. high school graduates apply to a university engineering school, they often cannot be admitted unless they take remedial math first. Reforms are certainly needed.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello and thank you Jeanne for the invitation.

I've already posted on another thread. : ) I have five kids. When my oldest was 7 I pulled her out of public school and taught her at home through a Homeschooling Organization. Teaching at home is not for the faint of heart, let me tell you. She graduated from highschool at 16 and scored in the top 2% in her SAT's. She is now earning her BA, though I made her wait until she was 17 to start college. Because of a divorce, I had to put my children back in public school five years ago. They are having varying degrees of success.

I work from home now as an editor and writer. I try to stay as involved as possible in my childrens' education but to be honest, though there are wonderful teachers out there, I've only grown more frustrated with the system.

Well, that's me. I look forward to joining in.

message 11: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) Hi Jeanne,
My primary interest is literacy. I'm heavily involved in extracurricular literacy programs at our local elementary school. I'm not an educator, so rather than developing curriculum, I focus on developing and running programs that will encourage kids to read and to view reading as a fun and positive activity.

message 12: by Jeanne (new)

Welcome, new members Shawna, Jessie, Donna, Ed, Irma, LuAnn, and Juli!

I am tutoring today, so I will just pop in from time to time between appointments. Please go right ahead and post your education interests. If you have questions for Dr. Richard Selznick, post them with the others. He will be coming by to answer questions
some time today.
more later . . .

Jeanne

message 13: by Jeanne (new)

Hi Lori,
It's great to see you here. I know that you love trees, as do I. If you read my review of 'Frames of Mind', I hope you will add to or comment on my take of what Naturalist Intelligence is. After Howard Gardner wrote about the 7 intelligences, 3 others were proposed. Only one of them met his criteria and was accepted and that was 'Naturalist Intelligence'.
I simply tried to post what I think might be examples of Natural Intelligence, so I could be wrong.

message 14: by Jeanne (new)

Shawna wrote: "Hello and thank you Jeanne for the invitation.
I have five kids. When my oldest was 7 I pulled her out of public school and taught her at home . ."

Hi Shawna,
Wow! You did a fantastic job of home schooling your first child. With 5 children, you can see how unique each one is. Your 11-year-old sounds like the classic 'Lego Kid' that Dr. Selznick talks about in his book. In his book, 'The Shut-Down Learner', Dr. Selznick suggests educational strategies and also how to build on the child's strengths. He also has written in some links to teaching resources.

message 15: by Jeanne (new)

Hi Sheri,

Welcome to the Education Books group!

message 16: by Jeanne (new)

Welcome to new members James, Corinna, Tara, and John L. I am happy to see you here.

I have made a short list of Education Books that we can talk about. Please feel free to introduce others that interest you or that have influenced your thinking.

Richard Selznick, PhD, is available to answer questions about his book, 'The Shut-Down Learner'.

I would also like to discuss 'Frames of Mind' and the practical applications of The Theory of Multiple Intelligences'.

Jeanne

message 17: by Jeanne (new)

Welcome, Val! I loved reading your account of beginning school in a one-room school house. I'm just running out the door to an appointment this morning, but I will want to write more about this later. Jeanne

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori | 2 comments Thank you Jeanne! I'm sorry but I can't find your review! I would love to add a comment!

Jeanne wrote: "Hi Lori,
It's great to see you here. I know that you love trees, as do I. If you read my review of 'Frames of Mind', I hope you will add to or comment on my take of what Naturalist Intelligenc..."

message 19: by Jeanne (new)

Hi Cleveland,
Welcome to the group. If you have questions or comments, jump right in!

message 20: by Madison (new)

Madison Paine (madisonpaine) Hello Everyone,

Any group that promotes education is a group where I belong! I am a teacher turned author who is currently on the frontlines of teacher advocacy. Teaching is my passion and I wrote a book that I hope will shine the light on some disturbing trends in the work place. Please feel free to add me as a friend. --Madison

message 21: by Jeanne (new)

Hi Madison,

Welcome to the 'Education Books' group. It's encouraging to know that you are actively advocating for teachers. I love your decision to write 'The Poisoned Apple' as an allegory. Brilliant! I think this will give it a wide appeal.

message 22: by Madison (new)

Madison Paine (madisonpaine) Thanks Jeanne. I know educators love to think so that is why I chose to write in an allegory format. I just want to make sure my fellow teachers know they are loved and someone is willing to put it all on the line if it will help us have better working conditions. Thanks for agreeing to be a reader. If you know any other teachers who would like to be a reviewer and receive a free eBook copy, let me know.

message 23: by Dan901 (new)

Dan901 | 1 comments Hi guys, I think that education is the most importntn part of our lifes. We need to spend more time on that. I like read literature reviews at https://pro-papers.com/literature-writing-service. It's so interesting and helpfull. I'm trying to improve my reading skills. So, have to learn a lot.