Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Shocking news from Iraq

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17313 comments Mod

Not cool. I wonder what other atrocities are going to come to light, now that the veil of our former asshole regime is being lifted.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I am so disgusted.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wow. That's SERIOUSLY shitty electronic work. I mean...you've got to try to do it that badly...

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) KBR (and its' parent, Halliburton) have been responsible for many a non-combat-related death. Not only did they win those no-bid contracts for billions of dollars, they farmed out the work to Iraqis who had no formal training in terms of infrastructure building.

The fleecing of America, and the world, is sickening.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Everything about the mess in Iraq is sickening. I am hoping that President Obama makes a good well timed decision in regards to a withdrawal, and that we as a nation can finaly move past it all.

message 6: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments We, as a nation, may be able to move past it all, but the repercussions from the Bush era will echo through the years for a long while yet. There is going to be blowback from our actions on a scale that we can't even conceive of, and there's little we can do about it.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Sobering.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I've been looking everywhere for a thread in this group that mentions the shoetosser. The only mention of the shoetosser that I've seen is when Gus mentioned he's a fan on facebook.

I wanted to post this update in a shoetosser thread, but I guess this one is as good as any. It's a moving tribute, IMHO. I read somewhere that in middle eastern countries throwing a shoe at someone holds considerable significance as it's the ultimate gesture of disrespect. The symbolism of the tree in the shoe is something on which to ponder...

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

That is hilarious, The Heidi. I love it.

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'll see if I can find some better pics (and more info). It's really a very interesting anecdote.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (last edited Feb 02, 2009 02:04PM) (new)

Reading A Thousand Veils also gave me a similarly happy perspective/opposite of typical American news about the state of humanity in Iraq. I tend to forget about buoyed spirits. All the news images are ever of chaos and destruction.

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Feb 02, 2009 02:07PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Here...

Here's what I read the first time I saw it.

And here is the picture I saw that accompanied that story copy.

#####

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I want to read that book, Sally! It seems like it would be a good read. :)

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'll mail it to you with your shebangs today, if you want to swap me for something else!

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

(it was a really good read.)

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments What are shebangs? I'd be happy to swap for something... I'll need to find something you might enjoy reading that you haven't read yet.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

That is the GR word for the CD mixes.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I get mixes?!!

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Shoot! Aren't you in the Shebang Club? Oh, you signed up for the next one. That's right.

Well, yes. I'll send you a copy of my mix and the book. You send me the same: a heidi mix and a random, enjoyed paperback you'd be happy go get rid of. It'll be a kismet mix group.

:)

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments You scared me for a bit there. I thought you were saying that you were holding up the mix distribution for me.

I have a Heidi mix already made! So the timing would be perfect. I'll find a good paperback for you to read. In fact, have you read The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille ? It's, hands down, my favorite social satire - he describes it as The Great Gatsby meets The Godfather. I could agree. I'm not typically a fan of his writing (or the movies his books inspire, for that matter), this one is my exception. It's brilliant!

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Awesome. I need to reread Gatsby and I should read Godfather. So this will be the perfect segue way. :)

message 22: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Okay... deal. Watch your PM.