Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Sarah > The Best Moral Award

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Feb 05, 2009 08:56PM) (new)

Sarah (sed5071) | 14 comments This award is given to the best moral in a children's book. It must reach children from kindergarten all the way to sixth grade. It can be any genre that has an outstanding moral that children can learn from.

Harvey and Goudvis state,"We look for responses that illustrate insight into characters' problems, actions, and motives or that demonstrate that kids understood ways to meaningfully connect to books." Children must be able to make a clear understanding of the moral through illustrations and words. (Strategies That Work)

Nominations must be posted by March 5th.

Have fun!!!

message 2: by Darlene (new)

Darlene | 14 comments I nominate "The rabbit and the turtle" by Eric Carle. This book contains Aesop's fables that are retold and illustrated by Eric Carle. One of the most memorable fables for me is the rabbit and the turtle. The rabbit is know to be faster than a turtle, but in this tale the turtle wins the race. Each short story has the moral printed at the bottom of the page. The moral for the rabbit and the turtle story is slow and steady wins the race.

message 3: by Corby (last edited Feb 21, 2009 02:26PM) (new)

Corby Lancaster | 14 comments I nominate "The Paper Bag Princess" by Robert Munsch. This is not your typical girl meets boy and lives happily ever after story. In the story the princess out wits the dragon to save her prince. When she reaches the prince, he dismisses her because of what her clothes look like. The princess realizes at this point the prince is not worth having. This story includes an outstanding lesson, don't judge a book by it's cover. This is an extremely important message to young people, just because someone may have the nicest clothing, doesn't mean he/she is the nicest person. This also works the other way around, someone may not be able to have nice clothing, but it doesn't mean he/she is not a person worth knowing. Unfortunately, people are judged by what they wear alot. Wouldn't it be great if we could instill the importance of it's not what's on the outside that counts, it's what's on the inside that counts.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "The Special Raccoon" by Kim Carlisle because the book gives children an understanding of what it means to be physically and mentally challenged. When the raccoons accept the special raccoon Brookie, it showed an outstanding moral for children.

message 5: by Linzi (last edited Feb 26, 2009 02:13PM) (new)

Linzi Wilkinson | 14 comments I nominate "The Witch Next Door" written by Norman Bridwell. This is a very cute book about a women who moves into the neighborhood. Many neighbors think that she looks like a witch and knock on her door and ask her to move out of town. She casts a spell on them and turns them into a prince and princess. Everyone is happy. This teaches us that although we may look differently from one another we are all still humans beings.
This book would be good for 1-3 grade. I would use this as part of a read aloud.

message 6: by Amy (last edited Mar 04, 2009 12:00PM) (new)

Amy | 16 comments I nominate "The Sneetches" by Dr. Seuss. Through the use of inventive words and masterful use of end rhyme, a valuable lesson is taught about the importance of being content with who you are. The poor sneetches learn a lesson the hard way from an opportunist named McBean. Too often kids are bombarded with catch phrases like "be yourself"; some lessons just have to be learned through experience and some can be learned second-hand from yellow folk like sneetches!

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori | 19 comments The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss I nominate "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss for this award. The message of the Lorax is more important now than it has ever been, and this book is an excellent way to introduce young students to the concepts of social responsibility and environmental concerns. As the Lorax persists in "speaking for the trees," he also teaches the importance of setting priorities, standing one's ground, and defending those who are unable to speak for themselves. This book could be used in Grades K-4, but its message is valuable at any age.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Amici | 16 comments Bully Bully by Judith Caseley

I nominate "Bully" by Judith Caseley for The Best Moral Award. This story is about a boy named Mickey who notices a bully named Jack at school. Mickey's parents and sister suggest ways to understand and solve the situation. They tell him to use brave words because bullies are cowards. And to try to be nice because Jack must be feeling unhappy. At last, the boy is able to bring about a truce with some cookies and laughs. The bully in this story is feeling neglected and out of sorts because of a new sibling at home. The friendship is fixed, and even though Jack does not apologize, children will understand that his behavior change means that he, too, was unhappy about the way he was acting. This book would be perfect for The Best Moral Award because it will really teach children a valuable lesson. Great for grades k-3!

message 9: by Ericajean (last edited Mar 05, 2009 12:55AM) (new)

Ericajean | 13 comments The Berenstain Bears and the Truth (First Time Books(R)) by Stan Berenstain
I nominate the Berenstain Bears and the Truth for the Best Moral Award. These books introduce a variety of morals in a kid-friendly way. Very easy read with bright pictures. Brother and sister learn to tell the truth after they get tangled in a lie. “No matter how you hope, No matter how you try, You can’t make truth, Out of a lie.”

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "The Only Boy in Ballet Class" by Denise Gruska for The Best Moral Award. The moral of the story is to always be yourself, no matter what the people around you might say. The main character, Tucker Dohr, loves his ballet class. The kids at school tease him, and even his uncle joins by saying Tucker should play football... all until the day of Tucker's dance recital. After the recital, Tucker, his mother, Uncle Frank, and Tucker's little twin sisters walk home past the football field. The same boys that have always made fun of Tucker pulled him into the game because they were short a player. When the game got tough, Tucker found that some of his dance moves helped him to make the plays. When his team won, the boys were so excited that they signed up for ballet class the very next day in order to learn the lightness of foot that Tucker possessed. The Best Moral Award should go to "The Only Boy in Ballet Class" because it encourages children, grades K-6 to always be themselves, because their talents are unique. Only Boy in Ballet Class by Denise Gruska

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber | 14 comments Hansel and Gretel by Jane Ray I choose to nominate the book, "Hansel and Gretel" retold and illustrated by Jane Ray. This particular Hansel and Gretel book should be used in grades 3-6. The illustrations in this book are different than most versions and give it a new, interesting twist. I chose to nominate this book because of some of the morals there are to learn from this story. All of us as human beings are curious, and in this case, that curiosity gets them stuck in a bad situation. It's kind of a harsh story and I think that as a student I would learn the lesson for these siblings by just reading the book.

message 12: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Cunningham | 15 comments I nominate "Seven Blind Mice" by Ed Young.

This is a retelling of the Indian tale where seven blind men argue over what an elephant is after they each feel a different part. In this story, the men are portrayed by blind mice. Each mouse has a different story of what it is by only feeling one part of the animal.

I think the moral in this book would be to make sure you make an informed decision. You should not be quick to judge or make an assumption based on only part of what you know.

message 13: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Stoner | 10 comments I nominate "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White

This book offers moral support for students who stand up for something they believe in or are loyal to. Sometimes, it's hard for children to stand up to someone who has more say than them. This book ranges from 4th to 6th grade