The Veldt - Weekend Homework #19 discussion

WH #19: The Veldt - Writing About Modern Technology

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vincent (last edited Jan 29, 2009 08:37PM) (new)

Vincent Harris (brainbackbend) | 5 comments Mod
Assignment Overview:

Write a composition answering the following: What One Piece of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?

Post your final composition to this group. (See the note at the bottom of page if you want to post anonymously).

Criteria:

--You need to have a completed brainstorm and a rough draft (showing revising & editing) before posting your final composition to this page.

--On Monday, your brainstorm and rough draft is due. Without a brainstorm and rough draft, your Weekend Homework assignment will not be counted.

--Your composition must have a beginning, middle, and end. So...at the very least there will be 3 paragraphs. You can have more, but 3 paragraphs minimum. This should answer the "how long does it have to be?" question that many students ask.

--In the "end" part of your composition, please make sure you have "reflective" comments that address the prompt: What One Piece of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?

[reflective/reflection means: a thought or opinion resulting from careful consideration]

--You are encouraged to craft this composition into a story that elaborates on what that one piece of technology is, why it is important to you, and what your life would be like without it.

Rubric:

--Visit this link for a student-friendly TAKS writing rubric and to see actual TAKS compositions: http://tinyurl.com/blus28 Your composition will be scored using the student-friendly composition found at the above link.

--This choice of prompt was inspired by "The Veldt" and the wording was taken directly from the following website: http://tinyurl.com/d55ne8

Fulmore students work very hard. Your teachers know this. The more writing and reading you do, the more successful you will be. The TAKS Writing test is coming up on March 3rd. This Weekend Homework is practice for TAKS and practice to help make you a more effective writer overall.

Now get going on that brainstorm and rough draft. We look forward (Ms. Garcia, Mr. Harris, and Ms. Kelly) to reading your responses.

Note: If you prefer to post your composition anonymously, you have to do 3 things:

1. Send me your composition via email, and I will post it to the group page and leave off your name.

2. In the subject heading of your email to me, please write your first name and first initial of your last name and WH#19 Post. Here is an example using my name:
Vinnie H. - WH#19 Post

3. Include your composition in the body of your email. Do not send your composition to me as an attachment.

message 2: by Caron (last edited Apr 01, 2010 01:55PM) (new)

Caron  (caron_sharp) | 2 comments Great assignment, Mr. Harris! "The Veldt" is one of my favorite stories! FYI- it appears in the Junior Great Books series.

Ms. Sharp

message 3: by Vincent (new)

Hey there, Ms. Sharp, thanks for the comment. Yes, the 7th graders at Fulmore are reading some of the stories in the JGB. I love that program. I visited your Huck Finn, page. Twain is my favorite author of all time. I recently finished reading a good book exploring the relationship between President Grant& Twain. I added the book to my goodreads.com shelf. Good to hear from you.

Ms. Sharp wrote: "Great assignment, Mr. Harris! "The Veldt" is one of my favorite stories! FYI- it appears in the Junior Graet Books series.

Ms. Sharp"

message 4: by Caron (new)

Caron  (caron_sharp) | 2 comments I am at TCTELAtoday - part of my presentation discusses Goodreads. Digital literacy is great!

I am back in 7th grade this year and will be launching some groovy goodreads stuff soon. My 8th graders last year enjoyed the online discussion about Huck Finn (funny, on their final surveys, they believed the discussion improved their comprehension, but not necessarily their writing).

Have a good weekend!

message 5: by Gabi (new)

Gabi What One Piece of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?
Brain storm: phone, TV, computer, mp3, radio.
Rough draft: the one piece of technology that I need is a phone, because it can be a web browser and that’s important because what if you had to look up something for notes. A messager you can text message and that’s important because what if you……..ummm……… missed the bus at school then you would have no way to get to school and you would have to walk back home, and what if you got kidnapped. It can be a regular phone too, because if you need it during a emergency like if someone broke in to your house. It can E-mail people and that’s important because what if you needed to e-mail someone because a change of plans. An organizer so you can always be organized. A music player so if you are bored you can listen to a song you like. And a camera so if you go somewhere you want to take a picture at and forgot your camera you can use your phone.
Final rough draft: The one piece of technology that I need is a phone because it can be a web browser and that’s important because what if you had to look up something for notes. A messager you can text message and that’s important because what if you missed the bus at school then you would have no way to get to school and you would have to walk back home, and what if you got kidnapped. It can be a regular phone too, because if you need it during a emergency like if someone broke in to your house. It can E-mail people and that’s important because what if you needed to e-mail someone because a change of plans. An organizer so you can always be organized. A music player so if you are bored you can listen to a song you like. And a camera so if you go somewhere you want to take a picture at and forgot your camera you can use your phone.

message 6: by Vincent (new)

Gabi:

Thank you for your response. You have some good ideas in your work. Please consider that the composition is a minimum of 3 paragraphs. It should have a beginning, a middle, and a conclusion. So...use the good work you have done already, and expand it into 3 paragraphs. For example, have you ever missed the bus and then used your cell phone to call a parent for a ride? You could turn that experience into a story that begins your composition.

Mr. Harris

cherry cola (Gabi) wrote: "What One Piece of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?
Brain storm: phone, TV, computer, mp3, radio.
Rough draft: the one piece of technology that I need is a phone, because i..."

message 7: by Damon (last edited Feb 05, 2009 04:59PM) (new)

Damon | 2 comments Damon Meredith
Lunguage Arts
1-30-09

What One Peice Of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?

Brainstorm: Computer, T.V., Ipod

Rough Draft:

Technology; by definition it means, "The use of science to produce useful things for practical purposes that improve life." However, in my opinion, that definition has a hidden definition: "The use of science to produce useful things for practical purposes that improve life." and on that note, the one item I could not live without is my computer.
The first reason I need my computer is how would I be able to do this weekend homework? Sure, I could do this on paper, but how would I know what the assignment was?
The second reason I need my computer is that I am able to keep in touch with my friends at a fast pace. I don't have to write letters and wait about a month for a reply when I can get replies within minutes.
There are many reasons why I need my computer; in fact, I could go on for a long time. But since I am only limited to a small amount of space, let me close with this: my computer IS my life.

message 8: by SAUL (new)

SAUL (wwwgoodreadscomsaul17) | 1 comments Saul Mendez
8th period

What One Piece of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?

The One Piece of Modern Technology I Would Have Trouble Living Without is a computer. There are lots of reasons why I would have trouble living without a computer but I’ll only tell you some. One is that I don’t really watch TV so I get info from the computer. Two is that were will you play games other than the game consoles. Three how would I do my weekend homework and I don’t like using mechanical type writers.

There is also times when I don’t want to do my weekend homework so I start playing games. I can not imagine my boring days with out a computer because when I’m bored I play cool violent games on the computer. But after I get bored of playing videogames I start doing my weekend homework. No matter what I do in the computer I always am doing some thing.

But the computer is also used for other stuff so not just what I mentioned but lots more stuff to. Like you can use a computer to watch online TV, online radio, movies online and much more that I don’t remember. So that is why life would be so hard for me or it might kill me without a computer.

Ishkabibble (Rachel) (nisharain) | 1 comments Oh, I remember reading this story in 6th grade. We all hated it :D I guess it was interesting though...

message 10: by Natasha (last edited Jan 31, 2009 08:00AM) (new)

Natasha | 1 comments Mr. Harris wrote: "Assignment Overview:

Write a composition answering the following: What One Piece of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?

Post your final composition to this group. (See the n..."

Rough Draft:

If I were to choose one peice of modern technology that I couldn't live with out it would have to be my computer. My life surrounds the computer, there is alot of things I do on the computer that I can't do that can't be done whithout it the way it is done now. Such as Mr. Harris's weekend homework I can't do it the way I do it now without my computer. I also personally love surfing the internet more than the average midde school student. It would be extremely hard for me to get threw school the way I do without my computer.

My computer my be slow now but it's ok as long as it's a computer I can manage. I can deal with it because it holds everything I need it to. It also has great internet connection! No matter how bad my computer may be I always find the silver lining.

Computers are a daily thing for me. When I get home the first thing I do is check my email. I never really realized how much I was conected to my computer. Now, after this project I think I'm going to take a little time from the computer. Also, when I'm home alone and bored I can browse the internet and I always find something. For example if I'm on youtube I find new songs, or if I'm on goodread I find new books! Or if I'm just browsing the internet I may find web sites, that's how I found goodreads. So basically computer are a part of my everyday life and I don't think I can live without mine.
- Natasha 6th period

message 11: by NeverLoved (new)

NeverLoved (shurikanlee) | 1 comments The one piece of modern technology that I would have trouble living without is television. Without television I would be EXTREMELY BORED(most of the time). I wouldn't be able to watch televised movies or my favorite cartoons, and I'd actually have to read the newspaper to keep up with current events.

Television is basically my portal to the rest of the world. I can visit China for their New Year Festival or Africa to see their tribal dances, there's no limit to what I can watch. If my mom would let me, I would sit in my room for hours on end and think that mere minutes had passed. I am easily bored and usually play video games or watch television in my free time. If t.v. were to go "poof", I'd be playing a lot more video games!!

Another reason that I'd have trouble without television is because I couldn't watch televised MOVIES! I watch an average of 6 movies a month on t.v.. Without t.v., my average would greatly decrease because it costs too much to go to the theater nowadays. It costs around $6.50 for me without a student I.D.! Since the economy is worsening, that price is most likely going to rocket up!!! That's why I would have trouble living without television.

message 12: by Eydie (new)

Eydie  (ajadunn) | 2 comments I'd just like to say, this is one cruel and unusual punishment. This isn't the only homework we have you know.

message 13: by ♥Alyssa♥ (last edited Jan 31, 2009 03:13PM) (new)

♥Alyssa♥ (alyssa33) | 1 comments "What one piece of modern technology would you have trouble living without?"
Brainstorm: cellphone, computer, T.V
final decision: cell phone

Final draft:
One piece of modern technology i would have troble living without is my cellphone. I chose my cellphone because I need to stay in contact with my family and just incase an emergency I could call whoever i need to at that time. An example of when i could use my cellphone for an emergency is if there was a rober in our house while we (the family) are in the house. i could either call 911 or call a neighbor or some person that can help quickly.

Another way i would have trouble living with my cellphone is if i have a problem of some kind, i could call anyone i need to talk to. For example if i need to talk to my parents for some type of reason i could call them or send them a voicemail.

I could also use my cellphone to take down important dates on the calender or put an alarm. I need to put an alarm, if not I will wake up at 12:00. I will be late for school or for an important event that day. I could use the phones calender to remind me for any special dates or evants. I could put tests dates or when the six weeks begins and ends. That is a modern technology i would have trouble living without.

message 14: by Rolando (new)

Rolando | 1 comments What one piece of modern technology would you have trouble living without?

BRAINSTORM:my computer and my TV

FINAL DRAFT:Those are really the only technological things i cant live with out.

I can live with out those things but those are usually the things that i do at home.Well another thing that i do at home is listen to music.I cant really live without my computer because i do alot of things here like find out new things or i use it to do WEEKEND HOMEWORK!!!!!

When im bored i just watch television because there really isnt nohing better to do....or maybe go outside.TV is like the same thing as the computer i find out new things or just watch movies or something.Maybe even listen to music. when im really bored i watch the news, so sad.

i cant live with out those things because when im bored and go nothing to do outside or something i just come in and play or watch.

message 15: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (Adriana_rambo) | 4 comments First of all i would like to say that you have to brainstorm , rough draft, then do your final product! READ THE DIRECTIONS!!!

message 16: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (Adriana_rambo) | 4 comments What one piece of modern technology would you have trouble living without?

Brainstorm:(i dunno if thats one word or two) Pieces of technology that i mostly use are: The computer; My cellphone; my Nintendo DS; my radio and my TV. I CHOOSE MY COMPUTER!!!

Rough Draft: I am pretty sure that it would be hard to live without my computer because i need the internet(even though my computer runs so very slow!) for many things. I need it to search things like definitions, or just random things. I also need it for doing Mr. Harris' homework. I remember a few times, i was not at my home or my computer was not working, that i could not turn my homework in on time which is BBBBAAAAAAAAADDDDD!!! I also like to browse on youtube or check my Myspace out as a form of ENTERTAINMENT because i love music and my friends!Another reason for needing my computer is to use Word Documents for book reports and just school in general! Just recently, my mom and i purchased a new web-cam and its pretty awesome! It can take photos and record videos(although i need to figure out how to get the sound to work). So, basically if i did not have a computer, life would be much harder for me in my opinion, :(,and probably would not be able to do many of those things that i love and thats why i couldn't live without my computer.

End of Brainstorm and Rough Draft!

message 17: by Jessenia (new)

Jessenia (monkey11) | 1 comments Write a composition answering the following: What One Piece of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?

Final Draft:

One piece of modern technology i couldn't live without is my computer.I use my computer everyday, at least 3hrs a day or more,i get very addicted. Its really important to have one, because it helps you with your school work

My computer right now is 3yrs ,its very old know, but i love it anyway.It has all the necessities I need.Its basically my whole life.

Computers are great,because you can listen to music(Mp3),watch TV shows or movies (TV), and even communicate with people(Cell Phone).So its practically everything i need built into one.I would literally die without my computer.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Weekend Homework #19
What piece of technology could you not live without?
Brainstorm: Television, Computer, Cell Phone and iPod
Rough Draft: I think that the one piece of technology I couldn't live without would be my iPod. It would be my iPod because I love music and (since I have an iTouch) I can go on the Internet anyway already. I love music because when I listen to it I just escape from the world and melt into the wonderful world of music. Another reason why I love music is because there are so many different types of genres and artists, I can get them all if I want or just pick out the the genres and artists I like.
The second reason why I say iPod is because (since I have the iTouch) I can go on the Internet whenever needed. Whenever I need to use the Internet, like if I wanted to check my email I could do that. Also my iTouch has an iTunes channel so I can download songs whenever new ones come out and I can also do yahoo messenger because I downloaded it onto my iPod. I also have many different t.v. shows so I can watch them too.
So as you can see I love my iPod and take very good care of it. It also does the same thing as a computer maybe more! It can play music ( obviously), I can get new music when my old music gets tireing (iTunes), by using Safari I can acess my yahoo,yahoo messenger, gmail, and goodreads accounts. What about t.v. you may as, well I got it covered because I have purchased many different t.v. shows and not to mention games for entertainment of course. So without my iTouch/iPod I would probably not be able to handle it because my iPod fits my every needs.

message 19: by Captain Mason (new)

Captain Mason (notmason) | 1 comments Mason L.

Brainstorm: Computer, iPod, Car

Rough Draft:

It would be VERY difficult to live without a computer. For most people it is a source of information, a business tool, and a mean of communication. A computer is an all-around piece of technology. If someone needed to know about a animal, they could look it up. If someone needed to know about a language or a culture, they could look it up! With a computer you can learn almost anything!!! It is also a very important business tool, for almost any business will need something done on the computer. In my family the computer is the workplace for my parents! My dad is a graphic designer so he uses the computer to design things, and my mom teaches graphic design! Without a computers, I wonder what would happen!
To me, a computer is very imporrtant! Without my computer my music listening, my communication with my friends, and my entertainment would be hindered! Music is VERY important to me and without it, I would be lost forever! Music and my friends are the most important things to me! So without a computer I would lose touch with both of them. I don't have a cell phone, so I chat instead of call. Oh yeah! And without a computer... I wouldn't be able to write this!
Computers are important to almost everyone who has the acess to them. My family, my friends, and YOU, (yeah, thats you Uncle Vinnie) would have trouble living without them! Without a computer communication would be smothered. Without a computer business would be even harder! Without a computer so many different things that we have come to take for granted would be shoved in our spoiled fat faces!!! I am very glad that the computer is here to protect MY fat face from having stuff shoved in it!

Final draft:

It would be VERY difficult to live without a computer. For most people it is a source of information, a business tool, and a main mean of communication. A computer is an all-around piece of technology. If someone needed to know about a animal, they could look it up. If someone needed to know about a language or a culture, they could look it up! With a computer you can learn almost anything!!! It is also a very important business tool, for almost any business will need something done on the computer. In my family the computer is a workplace for my parents! My dad is a graphic designer and illustrator so he uses the computer to design things. My mom, on the other hand, teaches graphic design. Without a computer, I wonder what the world would be like!
To me, a computer is very important! Without my computer, my music listening, my communication with my friends, and my entertainment would be hindered! Music is VERY important to me and without it, I would be lost forever! Music and my friends are the things that matter most to me, and without a computer I would lose touch with both of them. I don't have a cell phone, so I chat instead of call. Oh yeah! And without a computer... I wouldn't be able to write this!
Computers are important to almost everyone who has the access to them. My family, my friends, and YOU, (yeah, thats you Uncle Vinnie) would have trouble living without them! Without a computer communication would be smothered. Without a computer business would be even harder! Without a computer so many different things that we have come to take for granted would be shoved in our spoiled fat faces!!! I am very glad that the computer is here to protect MY spoiled fat face from having stuff shoved in it!
{-_-}<--my face [0101011:]<--computer {feughwijceu}<--stuff

message 20: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 1 comments What one modern piece of technology would you have trouble living without?

To me, modern technology definitely includes things like phones and computers. But where are the finer lines? Is duct tape modern technology? Is it even technology at all? It makes it hard for me to decide then, what I would have trouble living without. Finally, I decided it would be hard to live without my glorious, wonderful stove.
At a simple glance, stoves don’t seem to play much in our lives. However, when you look closer, you realize how much they impact your life. Almost every single dinner meal you prepare involves the stove (at least, the meals that I like). Stoves are machines that burn controlled fires underneath grates (burners). You put a pot or a pan on the stove and then the fire underneath cooks the food in the pot or pan. That may not sound great and awesome, but first, you have to imagine what it would be like without your stove.
If we didn’t have stoves, we would probably end up cooking on open fires outside or in our fireplaces. Anyone who has ever made s’mores in their life knows what I am talking about. Open fires are hard to control. First, you have to find all the wood and make the wood and catch on fire, which is hard to do. Then, they’re hard to control. Open fires will catch onto grass, make lots of smoke (especially if you use green wood) and throw sparks in your face. You also have to control, at least somewhat, the temperature to be able to cook. I remember one night recently, my family wanted to have s’mores because it was cold. Unfortunately, that couldn’t happen because the fire wasn’t warm enough, it was too late to make another one and then have it cool down enough to be at the point where we wouldn’t catch our marshmallows on fire. This brings me to a second point, the heat of open fires which is often really hot. Another problem is rain! You can’t cook outside if it’s raining and even if you have a fireplace, it’s harder to get it to start. On stoves, you press a button. A button!
Now, consider stoves. We’ve already discussed the button thing a little. Stoves are just plain easy to control (except for when they make your house burn down – sorry, had to say that). With the flip of a switch, press of a button or turn of a knob, you can turn on the stove or change the temperature. Not only that, but stoves retain heat, for the most part. You can actually get closer than three feet away from them without being burned to a crisp, blinding yourself with smoke (that’s only on open fires) and being pulverized by a spark. Stoves are also convenient because you can easily place pots and pans on it, with the handy grates they make to place on top of the fire.
Stoves, as previously stated, are used in almost every single dinner meal. They fry eggs, make soup, stir frys, pasta and (more importantly) make red-beans-and-rice (my favorite food). Although we may not realize it, stoves are a big part of our lives, and I know that I would find it difficult to live without them.

(I'll give the rough draft and brainstorming on Monday)
-Sydney

message 21: by Jack (last edited Feb 01, 2009 09:41AM) (new)

Jack | 1 comments OK, Mr Harris, please define "modern."
My favorite invention is the hot water heater. What would I do without hot showers? However, that may not be modern enough for you.
Another bit o' tech I need to employ is the air pump. I may buy myself a new one today. Otherwise I can't ride my bike to work. That still may not be the type of "modern" of which you speak.
If you are talking digital communication age, I'd have to say the various orbital satellites, without which none of our wireless global communiques would happen, and all commerce would travel so much more slowly.
Wait! That still may not meet the requirements you're calling "modern."
You must mean personal tech equipment. Hmm, this is a toughie.
Although I am tempted to say computer, I've lived the first 3/4 of my life without that benefit, so I could probably survive. I currently use it very frequently, but that doesn't mean I couldn't live without it.
I'm also tempted to say 'cell phones,' but I didn't own one until about 6 years ago, and I was fine. I rarely use mine anyway, and I don't own a personal video game or ipod. :(
If I had a hi-techn prosthetic, that would be very hard to go without, but I don't. I'd have to say that there are no modern technologies that I COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT.
Perhaps the hardest, though, would be losing email and researching on the internet, so I guess INTERNET is my choice, which necessarily includes a personal computer of some sort and an assortment of other infrasystem stuff.

Oh, BTW, Eydie, ..Boo-Hoo!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Cora Correia
Ok Heres my Final Draft
Final Draft: I think that the piece of technology I couldn't live without would be my iPod because I love music and (since I have the iTouch) I can go on the Internet as I please. I love music because when I listen to music it is basically the only time when I just escape from the world and enjoy music. Another reason why I love music is because there are so many different types of music and artists that I could get them all if I want or I can just pick the types of music and genres that I like.
The second reason why I say my iPod is because (since I have the iTouch) I can go on the Internet, if I wanted to check my email I could do that. Also my iTouch has an iTunes channel so I can download songs whenever new ones come out and I can also do yahoo messenger because I downloaded it onto my iPod. I also have many different t.v. shows so I can watch them too.
So as you can see I love my iPod and take great care of it. It also does the same things as my computer maybe more! It can play music (obviously) I can buy new music when my old music gets boring (iTunes), By using Safari I can acess my yahoo, yahoo messenger, gmail, and goodreads accounts. What about t.v. you ask, well I got it covered I have many purchased videos and t.v. shows and not to mention games for entertainment of course. So without my iTouch/iPod I would probably not be able to handle it because my iPod firs my every needs.

message 23: by ßilly (new)

ßilly (btak12) | 1 comments BrainStrom:xbox360,cellphones,computers

RoughDraft:I like to use my computer nearly everyday
and its my favorite.i like playing game online with my Pc and i like surfing the net.

Fanal Draft:
I use my computer almost every day. They help me with my school work, and I could listen or hear my media or play games.
I could not live without my computer. It is my favorite, and most useful piece of technology .
There deferent types of Operating Systems (OS). I personally like windows the best, because I know how to use it better than other OS, and it has a lot better games and software. Macs are good as well, but I wish I could know how to use them better.
Computers have been around since the 80s, and back then they where completely different from today since they didn’t have color display or graphics. Today’s computers have all of that and much more, but in the future there will be better smarter computers that could exceed the human mind.

message 24: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Cervantes | 1 comments What One Piece of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?

I would have trouble living without a lot of pieces of technology. But the hardest thing to me would be… screens(computer screen, TV screen, ect…).

I would have trouble living without it for a lot of reasons. One reason is because… when ever I’m not playing soccer or just playing outside what I do is watch TV or use the computer. Also if there is no TV or computer, I don’t know what I would do all day. Basically not have much entertainment without them.

In conclusion… life would be boring.

message 25: by Marissa (last edited Feb 01, 2009 11:01AM) (new)

Marissa | 1 comments Hey, Mr. Harris... Here is all of my Weekend Homework bundled into one solid package. Enjoy! :)

Marissa Hansen
Period 6

Brainstorm Ideas: My computer because I have everything on there: Drawings, E-mail, the Web, Stories, TV Shows, Live Chat, etc.

Rough Draft: One piece of modern technology I would have trouble living without would be my Computer. I have several personal reasons for choosing this piece of technology, one of the reasons being purely social. As a social individual I can not live without socializing with friends or family, and when school is out and/or its the holidays or the weekend the computer gives me access to my e-mail and chat, which are several useful devices I can use to communicate with my friends down the street or on the other side of the city. The computer also allows us to reach and be able to do things we can't do when we are away from something such as shop at a grocery store or order a new phone at the Verizon Store, but the computer has ways of reaching past these limitations. The modern world's advancing society and business world as allowed new methods of getting work or chores done possible, which is handy to the busy person with no time to do such chores in their life. Some methods include ordering groceries online, ordering products such as phones or computers, contacting a house doctor (A doctor that comes to your house instead of you going to an office or hospital; it is slightly more expensive but more personal), or even scheduling an appointment with the local hair salon.

What would life be like without a computer? Unfortunately, today's modern society has adapted to technology which has become almost like a handicap to society. Without technology society would fall and be crippled, as children who once depended so much on calculators would have to do their homework with knowledge and those who depended on writing documents on the computer for work or business would have to write them by hand with only a dictionary to help them spell words. However, in a different prospective, technology is a necessary and useful handicap to modern society. Technology helps us build and fix things, from cars to our homes and buildings we work in. Technology heats and helps make the food on your table or the water in your shower or bathtub. One thing is for sure: Technology is very useful to you and me, because it supports us and helps us.

In conclusion, computers are a helpful and useful machine that would make life challenging without their use. They help you run errands, talk to your friends, watch and record your favorite TV Shows, and get that big work project done with a single click of a mouse! Computers are very important to me, and therefore my life. Life without a computer would truly by difficult.

Final Product:

One piece of modern technology I would have trouble living without would be my Computer. I have several personal reasons for choosing this piece of technology, one of the reasons being purely social. As a social individual I can not live without socializing with friends or family, and when school is out and/or its the holidays or the weekend the computer gives me access to my e-mail and chat, which are several useful devices I can use to communicate with my friends down the street or on the other side of the city. The computer also allows us to reach and be able to do things we can't do when we are away from something such as shop at a grocery store or order a new phone at the Verizon Store, but the computer has ways of reaching past these limitations. The modern world's advancing society and business world as allowed new methods of getting work or chores done possible, which is handy to the busy person with no time to do such chores in their life. Some methods include ordering groceries online, ordering products such as phones or computers, contacting a house doctor (A doctor that comes to your house instead of you going to an office or hospital), or even scheduling an appointment with the local hair salon. Computers can defintely help you in many situations and make life easier.

What would life be like without a computer? Unfortunately, today's modern society has adapted to technology which has become a handicap to society. Without technology society would fall and be crippled, as children who once depended so much on calculators would have to do their homework using only their learning and those who depended on writing documents on the computer for work or business would have to write them by hand with only a dictionary to help them spell words. However, in a different prospective technology is a necessary and useful helping hand to modern society. Technology helps us build and fix things, from cars to our homes and the buildings we work in. Technology heats and helps make the food on your table or heat the water in your shower or bathtub. One thing is for sure: Technology is very useful to you and me, because it supports us in our daily lives.

In conclusion, computers are a helpful and useful machine that would make life challenging without. They help you run errands, talk to your friends, watch and record your favorite TV Shows, and get that big project done with a single click of a mouse! Computers are very important to me, and therefore my life. Life without a computer would truly by difficult.

message 26: by Kyle (last edited Feb 01, 2009 11:51AM) (new)

Kyle | 1 comments Kyle Ray

What One Piece of Modern Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?

Brain Storm: Tv, Video Games, computer

Rough Draft: I think that video games are the most important thing I must have in order to live cause ps2 has this online thing where you can chat play multiplayer online with your friends and you can win money in torments and stuff like that!! So what im trying t say it would be very had to live with out video games.
Tv would probably be my second worst nightmare if my video games weren’t around any more because you need the tv lets say obama had got enogerated and we didn’t have tv’s to record or watch that awesome stuff my baseball games would be history. Lets say as in toaday the superbowl is going to be on and I got todo this in order to watch it so that brings me into my next point.
COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldent of watched the super bowl because I have to do my weekend home work #19 before I can even do anything with the tv which would really suck cause If I didn’t have a computer I couldent watch the super bowl. AND I couldent of bought my ps2 from gamestop online so I wouldent have any video games. So hat would lead to trying to grow a long beard and trying to make fire with a rock and a couple of sticks.

Final Draft:
I think that video games are the most important thing I must have in order to live because ps2 has this online thing where you can talk play multiplayer online with your friends and you can win money in torments and stuff like that!! So what I’m trying t say it would be very had to live with out video games.
TVs would probably be my second worst nightmare if my video games weren’t around any more because you need the tv lets say obama had got enogerated and we didn’t have TV’s to record or watch that awesome stuff my baseball games would be history. Let’s say as in today the Super bowl is going to be on and I got to do this in order to watch it so that brings me into my next point.
COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn’t have watched the super bowl because I have to do my weekend home work #19 before I can even do anything with the TV which would really suck cause If I didn’t have a computer I couldn’t watch the super bowl. AND I couldn’t have bought my ps2 from game stop online so I wouldn’t have any video games. So hat would lead to trying to grow a long beard and trying to make fire with a rock and a couple of sticks.

message 27: by Eydie (last edited Feb 07, 2009 03:17PM) (new)

Eydie  (ajadunn) | 2 comments What piece of modern technology can you not live without? For some people, it might be cellular phones, a PSP, their television, an MP3 player and so on. A piece of modern technology that I could not live without is the computer. I rely on my computer for many reasons, such as completing homework, connecting with friends and family, getting updates on news and weather, entertaining myself and more! Without a computer, my life would be incomplete!
One way that I rely on my computer is by using it to complete homework. I must have a computer so I can complete Mr. Harris’s weekend homework. From time to time I have to do research for projects and other homework. One big project that I definitely needed the computer for was NHD. I had to use the internet to find information to create a website for my project. Even when I am not doing a research project, I need to use the computer for everyday homework. Clearly, the computer is a must so that I can do homework.
I also rely on my computer to connect with friends and family. I chat with my friends all the time on Gmail. I have to keep up with my friends to know when the latest concert is, or when we’re all meeting on Congress for First Thursday, or where to go for a friend’s birthday party. Also, it is not so easy to send letters to friends and family members, so I use the internet to e-mail them. I also use the computer to communicate with my teachers. Why just the other day, I used the computer to ask Mr. Harris a question about this very project.
Another way I rely on my computer is to get updates on news and weather. Without a computer, I’d just have to rely on hearing news from my parental units or by watching it on TV, but I get very bored watching the weather and news on television. When I get up in the morning, I have to check to see how warm or cold it will be to determine what I should wear. I also use the computer to see when it gets so cold that AISD gets closed for a bad weather day. I don’t want to go to school on a day that the school is closed! With my computer and the internet, I can find out information and news from all over the world. For example, I learned that yesterday was National Popcorn Day.
Entertaining myself is another way that I rely on my computer. I love to take pictures, and I need to store my pictures on my computer for my blossoming photography career. I also need to send them photos to my friends and edit them. I mean, you just can’t keep every picture you take in your camera forever! I also play games on the internet all the time! The computer is a great alternative to television. I get quite bored sometimes when I am just staring at the idiot box for a couple hours. In addition to photos, I even use my computer to store all of my music on iTunes and in files.
It’s amazing how people rely on electronics, such as computers these days. Some people rely on them even more than me. It is unbelievable how quickly people such as myself can become dependent on modern technology! The computer is definitely the hardest thing for me to live without. Seeing that I use the computer for homework, communication with friends and family, updates on news and weather and for entertainment, it is hard to imagine what I would do without it. Our generation is very lucky to be able to possess and control these mechanical works of art.

Aja D. Final Draft.

message 28: by Schmitty (last edited Feb 01, 2009 12:51PM) (new)

Schmitty (tastygreenjelly) | 1 comments What One Piece Of Technology Would You Have Trouble Living Without?

erina c. 6th period

Brainstorm: television, cars, indoor plumbing, running water, air conditioning/ heating

Rough Draft: My world is filled with many modern technologies, but life would be most challenging without automobiles.

Automobiles are passenger vehicles with four wheels and it's own power source. Automobiles include trucks, jeeps and mainly cars. Automobiles dont have an exact origin and the first true creator of the automobile will most likely remain an enigma. Many believe that Leonardo Da Vinci was the craetor of the automobile, because of sketches, blueprints, and models of transport vehicles found. However, others argue that the first automobile was actually constructed in 1885 or 1886 by Karl Friedrich Benz in Germany. Many candidates have been suggested, but no inventor is yet identified as the true creator of the automobile.

Since the introduction of the Ford Model T, the first truly affordable, peoples' car, in 1907, the number of cars driven has increased considerably. "There are over 600 million motor vehicles in the world today. If present trends continue the number of cars on Earth will double in the next 30 years."- 'Cars Emit Carbon Dioxide, Global Warming, Focus On The Future, 1997'. Automobiles in today's world are of great significance, and are commonly used in transportation. Everyday, new technologies are created and used to improve the quality of life, by making tasks easier. Transportation can often be difficult, expensive, time consuming, and sometimes even impossible. Cars make traveling easy, quick, affordable, and possible. Cars are mainly a luxury, but because cars are so common, your job or career may depend on it. A promotion in a different town is useless if you can't travel there on a daily basis.

I can't imagine life without automobiles, and ecspecially when automobiles are so prevalent in society. Honestly, my life would really suck if i couldn't get hauled around in my dad's car to where ever i needed to go. I'm just extremely lazy, and I absolutely despise doing anything that requires effort. Walking or riding a bicycle are two activities that require way too much effort. So i prefer to sit in my dad's air conditioned VW Beetle, than ride a bicycle in Texas, where most of the time, its 95 degrees in the shade. n my opinion, automobiles aren't a luxury, but a necessity.

Final Draft:

My world is filled with many modern technologies, but life would be most challenging without automobiles.

Automobiles are passenger vehicles with four wheels and it's own power source. Automobiles come in all shapes and sizes, and include trucks, jeeps and mainly cars. The most commonly driven types of cars in the U.S. are Fords and Chevrolets. However automobiles don't have an exact origin and the first true creator of the automobile will most likely remain an enigma. Many believe that Leonardo Da Vinci was the creator of the automobile, because of sketches, blueprints, and models of transport vehicles found. However, others argue that the first automobile was actually constructed in 1885 or 1886 by Karl Friedrich Benz in Germany. Many candidates have been suggested, but no inventor is yet identified as the true creator of the automobile.

Since the introduction of the Ford Model T, the first truly affordable, peoples' car, in 1907, the number of cars driven has increased considerably. "There are over 600 million motor vehicles in the world today. If present trends continue the number of cars on Earth will double in the next 30 years."- 'Cars Emit Carbon Dioxide, Global Warming, Focus On The Future, 1997'. Everyday, new technologies are created and used to improve the quality of life, by making tasks easier. Automobiles in today's world are of great significance, and are commonly used in transportation. Transportation can often be difficult, expensive, time consuming, and sometimes even impossible. Cars make traveling easy, quick, affordable, and possible. Cars are mainly a luxury, but because cars are so common, your job or career may depend on it. A promotion in a different town is useless if you can't travel there on a daily basis.

I can't imagine life without automobiles, and ecspecially when automobiles are so prevalent in society. Honestly, my life would really suck if i couldn't get hauled around in my dad's car to where ever i needed to go. I'm just extremely lazy, and I absolutely despise doing anything that requires effort. Walking or riding a bicycle are two activities that require way too much effort. So i prefer to sit in my dad's air conditioned VW Beetle, than ride a bicycle in Texas, where most of the time, its 95 degrees in the shade. In my opinion, automobiles aren't a luxury, but a necessity.

message 29: by * jordan * (new)

* jordan * (jmoon) | 2 comments Jordan H.
2/1/09

The one thing I could probably have trouble living without, would be the computer, or at least mine. It has music, internet, and everything really. If the computer was the only electronic I owned, I would be satisfied.
One of the reasons I picked the computer is because it has/can hold music. Music is a big part of my life, I love it! I almost always have at least one song stuck in my head that I'm humming. Also, my computer doesn't just download music, you can make it. Since my laptop is a Mac, it comes with Garage Band. Garage Band is an application that you can create your own music. You can either create a tune on the electronic piano, or put together a lot of different instrument sounds.
Another thing that is cool about the computer is the internet. I like to get on my email and chat/communicate with my friends. Me and my friends have already made several play-dates together over email. The internet also supplies me lots of info. Anything I need to know I can find.
I picked the computer because it's basically all the other electronics in one. You want T.V.? Go on YouTube or look up your show or movie. You want music? Go to itunes or make your own on Garage Band. Want games? Look them up, there everywhere! Want social/communication? Email. Why waste money on little electronics when the computer has them all. That is why I picked the computer.

P.S.- this was done on a computer
see how we use it?

message 30: by * jordan * (new)

* jordan * (jmoon) | 2 comments grrrr....
it cut of my paragrphs...
here it is again

The one thing I could probably have trouble living without, would be the computer, or at least mine. It has music, internet, and everything really. If the computer was the only electronic I owned, I would be satisfied.

One of the reasons I picked the computer is because it has/can hold music. Music is a big part of my life, I love it! I almost always have at least one song stuck in my head that I'm humming. Also, my computer doesn't just download music, you can make it. Since my laptop is a Mac, it comes with Garage Band. Garage Band is an application that you can create your own music. You can either create a tune on the electronic piano, or put together a lot of different instrument sounds.

Another thing that is cool about the computer is the internet. I like to get on my email and chat/communicate with my friends. Me and my friends have already made several play-dates together over email. The internet also supplies me lots of info. Anything I need to know I can find.

I picked the computer because it's basically all the other electronics in one. You want T.V.? Go on YouTube or look up your show or movie. You want music? Go to itunes or make your own on Garage Band. Want games? Look them up, there everywhere! Want social/communication? Email. Why waste money on little electronics when the computer has them all. That is why I picked the computer.

P.S.- this was done on a computer
see how we use it?

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie (treehuga) | 1 comments What is one piece of technology you couldn't live without?

"Mom, I need some new earphones!!," I yelled from my bedroom,"can we please go to Best Buy TODAY?!" "Fine," she said. Yes! I had reeled her in, all I needed was an exuse to go to Best Buy's cell phone section. Ah, technology at it's finest in my mind. All my friends had on, and I wasn't going to be talking on my home phone much longer. I was in middle school, with stuff on my mind that I would rather text than talk about with my parental units around.

Once we got to Best Buy I casually walked past the cell phones and came to a stop. I picked up one after another, until I saw "the one." Was it just me or was there a shiney beakon of hope from god surronding it, probably not, but it was definetly there in my mind. It was the Verizon Wireless Chocolate. It was perfect, green, just like I wanted. They were $9.99 each, and this time it wasn't my imagination. My mom was as impressed as I was, and somehow I knew I was getting a phone! But, of course my mom always was a worry wart. "Honey, I think we should go to the verizon wireless store, just to be sure," she said.

As soon as we got there she started asking Phil, the manager, a bazillion questions. Well, it turned out the phones at Best Buy were the old versions of the phone, that were discontinued. I was knid of glad my mom was a worry wart. After a bazzillion more questions, I got my phone! It wasn't green, but blue's close enough.

Now that I think about it, I really couldn't have lived much longer without a cell. I thank god for that spontaneous day, because a cell phone is a piece of technology I really can't live without.

message 32: by Alexander Curtis (new)

Alexander Curtis (wwwgoodreadscomprofilealex) | 1 comments What One Piece Of Technology Can I Not Live Without?
6th Period Harris

Brainstorm:Television, Xbox 360, or Computer

Draft: If I had to chose a piece of technology I could not live without, it would have to be my Xbox 360.I love my Xbox because I can go online to play people across the entire world. I've even met a British man and a Canadian woman while playing.Over millions of people play on the Xbox 360. I would die if I couldn't use or play with the console anymore. This is the piece of technolgy I have chosen to the the Prompt on.

Final Draft:
What piece of technolgy could I not live without? If I had to chose one it would have to be my Xbox 360. I treasure video games dearly because some involve just pure imagination. If I didn't have my 360 I would probaly die from boredom. The Xbox is so addictive it some how tells your brain to keep playin. I swear I have probaly spent over25 hrs. a week playin video hames such as Gears Of War. It's like it controls your mind.

There are many reasons I would never give up my 360. First of all I can go online a challenge other gamers form around teh world. This is a reason because I can kick someones butt in a game from across the Atlantic Ocean if I wanted to.Another reason is because it has some of the greatest graphics you can find today. Some games such as GTA 4 are so well designed that it seems that the characters are real. The third reason is that you can chat and send text to people around the Country,Continent or even World.

All these reasons add up to why I would couldn't live without my Xbox. I wouldn't trade it in for a million dollars. Well okay maybe i would , but then I could buy hundreds of 360's. this is the piece of ttechnology I can not live without. I if I did lose it I would go crazy.

message 33: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 4 comments Kendall G.
Per. 8
Weekend Homework #19
What piece of technology could you not live without?

Part 1- Brainstorming
What technology could I not live without? Hmm...TV? I could live without it. It'd be sad, yes, but I could do it. Wii? See above. I don't have a cell phone, so I can obviously live with out it. Telephone? Very helpful indeed. Consider. Computer. Jackpot! Yes. How on earth did people survive without this life-saving piece of technology? Specifically the internet. How did they do it???
Thing: Computer. Why can't I live without it? Connects me to the world. Provides entertainment and means of communication. YAY!!!!!

Part 2: Rough Draft
The one piece of modern technology I cannot live without would have to be overwhelmingly the computer. The computer provides me with entertainment, a means of communication faster than others, provides information, and connects me to the world in a way that no previous piece of technology has ever succeeded in doing. The computer, specifically the Internet, is tremendously useful, and in our society, almost vital to our existence. For instance, if I had not had a computer, I would not have been able to do this assignment or many others from school. My grades would be poor, and that would impact my job and career later in life. Perhaps that is stretching it a bit, but I think you'll agree that the computer is a very helpful and fun gadget. It can help you learn and gather information and research. Granted, you must take certain precautions and be wary of the sites not to be trusted, but if you are careful, you can find a lot of true and reliable information on the Internet. The helpfulness of a computer doesn't stop there. Once you have gotten your information, you can put it into graphs, charts, and documents with certain applications. The internet can also be used to communicate and even make friends with people. With email, it is easier, faster and quicker to write to people, and it costs nothing. With Instant Messaging or Chat, you can get a reply in a split second! It is like talking to someone. With webcams and applications such as Skype, you can see the person you are talking to and hear them speak. This is especially delightful for long distance relatives, such as my cousins who live in Serbia. Phone service can be a hassle, but it is easy to get on Skype and really talk to someone.
As you can see, there are billions of things computers can be used for, and that is why, in my opinion, I cannot live without my computer and internet.

Final Draft to be posted....

message 34: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 4 comments With a few minor changes and additions, I present to you, my Final Draft.

Part 3: The Final Draft
The one piece of modern technology I cannot live without would have to be, overwhelmingly, the computer. The computer provides me with entertainment, information, a means of communication faster than others, and connects me to the world in a way that no previous piece of technology has ever succeeded in doing. The computer, specifically the Internet, is tremendously useful, and in our society, almost vital to our existence. For instance, if I had not had a computer, I would not have been able to do this assignment or many others from school. My grades would be poor, and that would impact my job and career later in life. Perhaps that is stretching it a bit, but I think you'll agree that the computer is a very helpful and fun gadget. It can help you learn and gather information and research. Granted, you must take certain precautions and be wary of the sites not to be trusted, but if you are careful, you can find a lot of true and reliable information on the Internet. The helpfulness of a computer doesn't stop there. Once you have gotten your information, you can put it into graphs, charts, and documents with certain applications. The internet can also be used to communicate and even make friends with people. With email, it is easier, faster and quicker to write to people, and it costs nothing. With Instant Messaging or Chat, you can get a reply in a split second! It is like talking to someone. With webcams and applications such as Skype, you can see the person you are talking to and hear them speak. This is especially delightful for long distance relatives, such as my cousins who live in Serbia. Phone service can be a hassle, but it is easy to get on Skype and really talk to someone.
Computers have everything you could possibly want, from videos to email, social networking sites to documents, photos to calculators, music to books. With a computer, you can buy almost anything, play games, read things, hear music, interviews, recordings, and radio, and even draw.
As you can see, there are billions of things computers can be used for, and that is why, in my opinion, I cannot live without my computer and internet.

message 35: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 4 comments Oh, also Mr. Harris, I am sick and will probably be out most of the week. :(
FYI

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 01, 2009 03:39PM) (new)

Adriana, you are right, that it says to do brainstorming and a rough draft, but it also says that we will turn it in on monday.

message 37: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (Adriana_rambo) | 4 comments ♥Miniature Disaster♥ wrote: "Adriana, you are right, that it says to do brainstorming and a rough draft, but it also says that we will turn it in on monday."

who is this!?!?!?!?!?!? i demand your identity!!!
yes i know its due on monday but many people didnt even do their brainstorm or rough draft! and it says to turn those in by monday!!!

message 38: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (Adriana_rambo) | 4 comments SO HA!

message 39: by ♫♥ashylynlyn♥♫ (last edited Feb 01, 2009 04:31PM) (new)

♫♥ashylynlyn♥♫ (goodreadscomprofileashlyne) | 4 comments Ashlyn E.
8th Period
Harris

What modern piece of technology would you have trouble without?

Brainstorm:
computer(my life!) tv (pretty important,) cell phone (barely use it) camera (don't have one), ipod (i could live without it)

Rough Draft
Technology is an amazingly large part of my life. I get almost all my information from the computer, tv and conversations on my cell phone. But the most important one to me is the computer.

The computer is my everything. I can talk to people across the world, look at any news information, and go on many different websites to get rid of boredom.

Without the compute my life just wouldn't be complete. It provides me with all the information I need to know, ever.

Final Draft
Technology is amazingly important in my life, and almost everyone else's. I learn everything I need to know from technology. One of the most important to me is the computer. The computer is my love.

My computer provides me with information, news, connections to even the farthest people away and entertainment. The computer is technically a combination of a cell phone, television and an ipod. This is because you can email, chat and even make calls online, watch old or new television shows and play all of your music online for free. The computer gives you everything you need to keep up with gossip, talk to friends and even read a book. I may sound like a geek for all of this but it is the truth.

Although I am obsessed with books and other things that don't require technology, the computer is a way to connect all of those things. Without the computer I don't know what I would do.

message 40: by Esteban (new)

Esteban | 2 comments Esteban S.

Hello everyone. This is my final draft and I will be turning in my Brainstorm and Rough Draft on Monday.

Final Draft!

I can't live without my PS3 because it does almost everything for me. I can go on to the internet. Listen to music in times of boredom and when company comes over. Of course the original purpose has come a long way and that is to play games. It almost replaces my computer (there are still a few features that they have failed to include on the PS3).

From the internet I can do many things, like check my email, download music, and do things like my Weekend Homework. Checking my email is big and it is a nice thing to be able to play your game then check your email to see if your teacher put up the latest homework or if your friend has replied to that funny chain mail. Downloading music is also fun because you don't have to go to the store, buy a CD, then leave the CD to get dirty and old. Things like checking forums and blogs are slightly new and a cool feature to the internet (the Playstation company has made it to where you have the ability to do this with online friends while playing a game or not and it is on the main page) so being able to do it on the PS3 is AWESOME!!

Another great feature of the PS3 (and PSP) is the media that you can have. My favorite is the music because you can easily listen to it, its great for if your having company, and fun to listen to when your bored. Its easy to get because of the options like downloading it from the internet or copying it from a CD. What would be better than having some awesome music while you and your friend are playing games or doing something fun, so being able to do that on a PS3 is great. If your bored maybe you like to listen to some music, I do so I turn on the PS3 and start jamming away.

Of course the most advanced part of the PS3 is playing games because that was the original purpose of the game console, and it keeps getting better. Games are cool because, there are limitless types of games like action, sports, and racing, they're always a great pick-me-up, and are a fun alternative to playing board games. The limitless types of games for the newer game consoles are great for everyone, depending on what you like you can build a great collection. When your down, its raining outside, and you and your friend don't have anything to do, video games are there for your comfort and leisure. Playing board games getting too easy? Then set your difficulty on hard and start playing fun and exciting new games on your PS3. Race, play guitar, or fight terrorism throughout the world, better yet play with a complete stranger without even meeting him/her in person. Then play some more!!

These are only a few of the reasons why I can't live without my PS3. Games, music, and the internet are some major features on the PS3 that make entertainment easy to get. Its like buying all of your entertainment pieces in one.

Esteban S.

message 41: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 4 comments Adriana---Miniature Disaster is Mayrose, fyi. (I hope I didn't blow your identity, Mayrose....heh heh )

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KENDALL BLEW MY IDENTITY!!!!! Miniature Disasters is a song.

message 43: by ♣Corina (new)

♣Corina (sand-toes) | 1 comments Technology in general is fascinating. The idea that a machine could be programmed to do what a human can, but in half the time, is an aspect of humanity that will always amaze us.

Though all of the technology is endearing and complicated, the thing that is most appealing to me--and probably many others--is the computer.

Even before we had high speed, or even Internet at all, people would gather to see just what a computer could do. Now, as we're in the 21st century, dial-up has been almost completely obscured, and you can access almost anything within 15 seconds or less. You can capture images, watch your favorite TV show, and record and buy songs. If you have a good hard-drive, the storage could be almost endless, and the best part is, it can organize your stuff!

In the near future, just as in The Veldt, computers could and probably will run our lives--cooking, hemming and cleaning. By then, we may be wary of them, but in the present day, this is the way I live. Whether it's reading books or watching CSI Miami, the computer does it all.

♫♥ashylynlyn♥♫ (goodreadscomprofileashlyne) | 4 comments corina, you didn't put your brainstorm or rough draft

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

you don't have to though!!!!

♫♥ashylynlyn♥♫ (goodreadscomprofileashlyne) | 4 comments what? yeah you do, mr harris said the homework won't count without the brainstorm or rough draft

message 47: by JeAnAi (last edited Feb 01, 2009 08:02PM) (new)

JeAnAi | 1 comments What one piece of modern technology would you have trouble living without?
Final Draft
The one piece of modern technology i would have a trouble living without would have to be my cell phone. Because if you need help you can call somebody to come help you. Also because my cell phone helps me stay in touch with my mom and my friends. If my mom needs to tell me something really imporant she could just text me, but without my phone she would have to call the school and send a message to me while im in class which i probably would throw away and forget but with my phone i can just look in my phone to remeber what it is.

What my life would be like without my phone it would be lonely, boring and exposed. i say it would be lonely because that is the only way i can talk to my friends after school and the only way i can talk to my friends that go to other schools. I say my life would be boring because i wouldn't have anthing to do but with my phone i could text people. I say exposed because i wouldn't be able to tell people secrets because if you tell someone a secret at school someone else might hear it and tell the whole school.

This is why the one piece of modern technology i would have trouble living without is my cell phone. even though some people can't live without t.v , i-pod, or a computer i think all of these things are in a phone and thats why i can't live without my phone.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

yes, but you don't have to POST it. You turn it in on monday.
"-On Monday, your brainstorm and rough draft is due. Without a brainstorm and rough draft, your Weekend Homework assignment will not be counted."

message 49: by **Midnight Angel** (last edited Feb 08, 2009 01:57PM) (new)

**Midnight Angel** | 2 comments Kiaya s.
Rough Draft

Technology

The one piece of technology that I could not live without would with no hesitation be the computer. The computer is amazing. It is amazing how much you can do with one device. Whomever invented the computer was a genius. With the computer you can do homework, meet new people, and have fun all at the same time! I feel very bad for the people before us who were not able to experience the awesomeness of the magnificent COMPUTER!
The computer is important in my life because most of the things I do revolve or can be done with the computer. For example at my school it is required to have access to a computer, because many things we do require a computer. For example my homework, my social life, and my free fun time all revolve around the computer. As a human I am very social and like to interact with friends and family, and the computer makes this possible. When I am on the computer I can email friends, do homework, play games, even watch television.
Life without my computer in one word would be: “Possibiladoom” (in case your wondering this means doom with little possibility.) without my computer I would probably not be doing well in my classes. Also I would probably not be as educated as I am today, because I would not be able to look up definitions, or find out information I didn’t know, or look up anything I had a question about. (The list goes on and on.) Without my computer I think I would be kind of dumb! I need my computer and I love it no matter how slow it goes.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Mayrose P.
8th period
Final Draft

I think I would have trouble living without my computer because of all different uses it has. Computers are great for finding information, doing school work, and having fun. Computers are great for doing almost anything and everything.

The first reason why I would have trouble without my computer is because of all the information I find on it. One thing I use my computer for is finding directions. Whenever I need to get somewhere, I don't have to spend forever on the phone getting directions. I just have to write down the address then look it up on map quest to find the directions. You can also find recipes much quicker. My parents find so many healthy recipes online for us to eat. It's so much quicker than looking through all the cookbooks we have. You can also find random information on the internet. Sometimes I'll hear a song that I like, so I'll go look up the lyrics. Or sometimes I have a question I just don't know the answer to, and the computer makes it so easy to find the answer.
You can find information at the touch of a button with the computer.

I also would have trouble without my computer because of all the school information online. Because of the computer, it's so much easier to do projects. Instead of looking through encyclopedias and bookshelves for the information, I can Google my topic. It's so much easier. Textbooks are online now too. Whenever I don't finish an assignment that requires the textbook, I can easily finish it at home. And then there's homework (ugh). I couldn't do this homework without my computer! (So on second thought, I could live without my computer.)
School is so much easier when you have a computer.

And lastly, the computer makes life more fun! Shopping online is fun for some people. You can buy things quickly and easily from the comfort of your own home (like pizza). You can also play games on your computer. There are so many games that you can download and play with one click. And my personal favorite, you can talk to friends online!!!!! You can keep in touch by email, IM, or message boards and forums like on GoodReads!
So not only can you use the computer for school and information, you can use it jsut to have fun.

Some people say that they would have trouble without their phones. I say I barely ever use my phone, and I'm fine (maybe...). Some people say it's their iPods and MP3 players (which I would have a hard time without also). But you can listen to music on the computer! Some people have trouble without their TVs. DVDs are perfectly playable with the computer and you can download TV shows! The computer is everything in one.

« previous 1