The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > So...here I am...

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments *I'm from Ruston, LA.

*I have a BFA in Photography, from LA Tech University. I'm not using it at the moment except on the side.

*I'm getting married May 8, 2010.

*Reading is how I escape when everything gets to be too much.

*My ipod is pretty much attached to me now.

*If I'm not reading, I'm watching a movie.

*If I'm not watching a movie I'm watching Criminal Minds, House, or CSI.

*I am a child of the X-Files. To the point that I can quote scenes for you...

*I work as a secretary for a local governmental type office.

*But I can't wait to get my photo studio up and running at some point.

*Kit Kat's, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Hershey Kisses with Almonds are the best way to cheer me up!

*I'm addicted to the school supply aisle of the superstore.

*My camera is attached to me at all times.

*I have two puppies...and would save the rest of them if I could afford it!!

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah (Ling_Ling) | 226 comments oh wow.. so out of that I'd say we have several things in common.. so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one addicted to the school supply aisle!

message 3: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments I have enough school supplies in my closet to stock an elementary school for at least a year!!

message 4: by Leah (new)

Leah (Ling_Ling) | 226 comments I love sticky notes and highlighters.. and paper.. I always have to get new notepads for work or to have at home.. just incase even though I rarely need to write things down at home.. haha..

I also love CSI and House and Reese's Peanut Butter cups.. mmmm

message 5: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Heaven!!

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Ha... my ipod is also attached to me... and I love the school supply aisles too! Welcome to the group!

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Welcome!

But did you HAVE to say Reese's cups ??

*sigh*

One of my many food addictions. Don't even get me started on cream cheese. Or c.c. as I like to say

;)

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9634 comments Mod
Hey... I loved Xfiles. I couldnt watch those episodes enough..... Mudler is my dream man!

message 9: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Lori wrote: "Hey... I loved Xfiles. I couldnt watch those episodes enough..... Mudler is my dream man!"

Mine too!!!

message 10: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie | 140 comments Okay, sorry everyone but I'm still trying to figure out how to use the site. I'm slow. I'm probably the last person in the world to figure out how to Twitter. It was so great to read all the notes about people who love school supplies, paper stores, pens, notebooks and of course books! In my neighborhood book club, we just read OLD SCHOOL by Tobias Wolff. What a writer!!

message 11: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments oooh I love the school supply aisle too....I thought I was just a sick individual...LOL I also love hershys kisses and reeses peanut butter cups. I also read to escape.

Welcome to the group DevonAlyse I am sure you will fit in just fine. :~)

message 12: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) and there I thought I was the only strange one... is it the smell of the new paper and ink, or is it the shining rows of gadgets and pens all lined up... my dream of working in a Staples is second only to that of working in a mega book store!

Hi DevenAlyse, welcome and happy reading!!

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) Welcome to the group! I get lost in the school supply aisle looking at all the shiny gadgets.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Hey DevonAlyse and welcome to the group! Love the intro! I'm an X-files girl myself...I miss getting my weekly Mulder fix. The new Fox series called Fringe is the closest thing I've found to replace it.

This is a really fun group, which I bet you already know. So jump right in and have fun!

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments Hi DevonAlyse, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, how exciting! I love the school aisle too and love puppies! What kind are yours? Sigh..wish we could save them all!

message 16: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Heather wrote: "Hey DevonAlyse and welcome to the group! Love the intro! I'm an X-files girl myself...I miss getting my weekly Mulder fix. The new Fox series called Fringe is the closest thing I've found to replac..."

I still get mine...I got several of the box sets for Christmas!!

message 17: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Cindy wrote: "Hi DevonAlyse, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, how exciting! I love the school aisle too and love puppies! What kind are yours? Sigh..wish we could save them all! "

My Freckles is a spoiled 10 year old Rat Terrier, and my Sylvia (Sivvy) is a spoiled 10 month old Toy Chihuahua.

message 18: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Jackie wrote: "Welcome to the group! I get lost in the school supply aisle looking at all the shiny gadgets. "

Gadgets are fun...my addiction seems to be notebooks...and the organizer stuff.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Oooooh, I'm SO jealous!!!! I want those boxed sets!

message 20: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Heather wrote: "Oooooh, I'm SO jealous!!!! I want those boxed sets!"

Amazon has all 9 seasons available as one huge box set for $275...The ones that I got were the seperates...I have 1-2 and 6-9, so I'm missing a big chunk of the conspiracy. I know you said you had been watching Fringe, I watch that one too...but it's just not the same.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) No, it's definitely not the same...I loved all the layers in the x-files story. It was so intense and awesome! Have you seen the recent x-files movie? We watched it here recently and thought it felt more like one of the tv episodes versus a movie. But I'm not complaining...It felt good to see Scully and Mulder again.

message 22: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Yes, I went and bought the day it came out, without having seen it! I just wish they had been able to get Dogget and Reyes in it to. I actually came to like those characters as well.

message 23: by Leah (new)

Leah (Ling_Ling) | 226 comments hmm so maybe loving school supplies goes hand in hand with the love of reading maybe? haha.. I don't know but woo..

message 24: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments I'm noticing this. But now I'm wondering if I am the only person that actually liked school, or if everybody with a school supply addiction dd as well...

message 25: by Leah (new)

Leah (Ling_Ling) | 226 comments i liked school.. sometimes.. haha i loved my poli sci courses in college and I've always loved history since I was a kid..so you aren't alone in liking school..

message 26: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments I liked my psych classes. And math, even tho I suck at it!

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah (Ling_Ling) | 226 comments philosophy.. always interesting debates.. heh and thats how I learned CS Lewis wrote more than just about Narnia

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I love paper...just not to eat.

Congrats on getting married!

message 29: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Allison wrote: "I love paper...just not to eat.

Congrats on getting married!
"

Thanks! And me too...I have 50 different kinds of paper, not counting my notebooks...

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Heylo, welcome! Aw, good to meet a fellow dog-lover!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

A big hello & welcome to the group!

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments DevonAlyse Ah, your little Sivvy sounds precious. We have a 10 month old pekingese named Abigail (Abby) and she is so much fun!

I loved school; would be a professional student if I could afford it and had the time!

message 33: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Lori wrote: "Hey... I loved Xfiles. I couldnt watch those episodes enough..... Mudler is my dream man!"

Lori, the pony I used to have was called Scully:-))

message 34: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I hated school, on the other hand. Felt they never taught me anything useful, and when it was useful they never told me what it was useful for!!

I guess that's why I became a teacher... for REVENGE! and also so I can go and buy all those red pens ; )

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments Welcome to the group! MMMmmmmm chocolate!

message 36: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9634 comments Mod
Jeane, wow, you had a pony????

haha... love that you named it after a character on one of my favorite tv shows!

message 37: by Leah (new)

Leah (Ling_Ling) | 226 comments "I guess that's why I became a teacher... for REVENGE! and also so I can go and buy all those red pens ; ) "

Hahahahahahahahahahaha... thats great!

message 38: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Cindy wrote: "DevonAlyse Ah, your little Sivvy sounds precious. We have a 10 month old pekingese named Abigail (Abby) and she is so much fun!

I loved school; would be a professional student if I could afford..."

I could totally be a professional student, if I had money. As it is at the moment, I really wish I did NOT know Sallie Mae!!

message 39: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Lori wrote: "Jeane, wow, you had a pony????

haha... love that you named it after a character on one of my favorite tv shows!"

I ahve another one now too, together with a donkey. It was actually for my mother. She loved the show with us and to have aname that she could remember easily we called her like that. It actually matched her in some way:-)

message 40: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments I'm sorry guys, things have been hectic. I've been trying to get on and update when I can, but internet has been scarce...so have books, unless they have been about weddings or wedding planning...

I hate when my reading gets back burner-ed!