Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Mysteries by Era > Ancient times (pre-500 AD)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Sep 06, 2009 08:27PM) (new)

Julie | 18 comments I'd like to compile a reference list of books/series set in various eras. I think most of us have "favorite" eras, so this might make things easier when it comes to choosing a new book.

(If you spy any mistakes, please holler!)

Ancient Rome

Steven Saylor's Gordianus the Finder books, starting with Roman Blood

Lindsey Davis's Marcus Didius Falco books, starting with The Silver Pigs

John Maddox Roberts's SPQR books, starting with The King's Gambit

David Wishart's Marcus Corvinus books, starting with Ovid

Albert Bell's Pliny the Younger books, starting with All Roads Lead to Murder

Ancient Roman Britain

Rosemary Rowe's Libertus books, starting with The Germanicus Mosaic

Ruth Downie's books, starting with Medicus A Novel of the Roman Empire

Jane Finnis's Aurelia Marcella books, starting with Get Out or Die

Ancient Egypt

Brad Geagley's Year of the Hyenas

Lauren Haney's books, starting with The Right Hand of Amon

PC Doherty's Lord Amerotke books, starting with The Mask of Ra

Lynda S Robinson's Lord Meren books, starting with Murder in the Place of Anubis

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 354 comments Ancient Roman Britain: Ruth Downie's books, starting with Medicus A Novel of the Roman Empire (There would currently seem to be four novels.)

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 18 comments Thanks, Susanna! I added that one and added links like yours to make things easier. :)

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary Corby (GaryCorby) | 10 comments Classical Greece:

Margaret Doody: The Aristotle Detective stories

and, I am very happy to say...

Gary Corby: my own series! First book out from St Martin's Press next year, starring Nicolaos, the elder brother of Socrates. (We haven't decided the title of the first book yet.)

message 5: by Spuddie (last edited Sep 05, 2009 05:46AM) (new)

Spuddie | 27 comments Mod
I would also add Jane Finnis to the list, with her Aurelia Marcella series, set in 91 A.D. Roman Britain. I've only read the first (Get Out or Die) but really enjoyed it.

I should also add, there is a wonderful online reference out there already at the Crime Thru Time website...if you go here and click on "Timeline" it lists historical mysteries by era.

http://www.crimethrutime.com/

Cheryl

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 354 comments Nice site!

I also like The Detective and the Toga: http://histmyst.org/ .

message 7: by Melani (new)

Melani These are great!

I tend to go through phases where I like to read mysteries from certain periods (yes I'm a freak like that). I like looking at Stop You're Killing Me at the historical index for different books. http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/His...

message 8: by Hafiza (new)

Hafiza | 2 comments Hi Priestess Iliona series by Marilyn Todd
Set in Ancient Sparta

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (bamabluestocking) | 17 comments Add Nox Dormienda (A Long Night for Sleeping) by Kelli Stanley (Arcturus #1) to the Roman Britain list!

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline | 61 comments Marilyn Todd also has a series set in Rome featuring Claudia Seferius. The first one is I, Claudia. The early ones are hard to find in my library system, unfortunately. I think it's because they were published in England.

message 11: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (Charlotte-) | 19 comments Spuddie wrote: "I would also add Jane Finnis to the list, with her Aurelia Marcella series, set in 91 A.D. Roman Britain. I've only read the first (Get Out or Die) but really enjoyed it.

I should also add, there ..."

Unfortunately the site is currently offline - sounds like a difference of opinion between those who were running it. stopyourekillingme looks useful - some series I have not heard of.

message 12: by happy (last edited May 25, 2012 08:01AM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 145 comments Paul Doherty also has a mystery series set in the court of Alexander the Great

The House of Death (Mystery of Alexander the Great, #3) by Paul Doherty
The Godless Man (Mystery of Alexander the Great, #4) by Paul Doherty
The Gates of Hell (Mystery of Alexander the Great, #5) by Paul Doherty

not bad