Catch-22 discussion

the book

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

to start something, what do you think about the Catch?

THE SPANISH INQUISITION | 1 comments the catch itself or the book all together?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

the book.

message 4: by Count (new)

Count Jared It was love at first sight.

I'd had a few people recommend it to me, but a buddy gave it to me as a Christmas present, a second-printing paperback copy (now much-taped and mended) and I dug it from the first page.

The deep irony of military "voluntary" service; the sense of the absurd which (having been a member of the all-volunteer military) I can attest helps to get one through even the most boring, drudging, and humiliating of experiences...everything about the book refuses to reduce war to anything but high farce in the comic-opera trsdition. It takes quite a modern author to really understand satire the way the ancient Greeks did, but Joe Heller really pulled it off in spades. It's one of those few I try to read at least once a year, just to maintain my sense of humor.

Ou sont les Neigedens d'antan?

message 5: by Summer (new)

Summer Vanslager | 1 comments I agree with the need to reread this novel. I laugh at the difficulty that everything comes in life including to a hedonist as the main character, and to what end?

message 6: by Count (new)

Count Jared Summer wrote: "I agree with the need to reread this novel. I laugh at the difficulty that everything comes in life including to a hedonist as the main character, and to what end?"

To an absurd end, which of course makes sense. Besides, Orr and his apple cheeks made it; why not Yossarian?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I keep a copy around and just read random sections all the time. I figure if the books not in order, I can read what I want when I want.

And it never stops being amazing.

message 8: by Amara (new)

Amara | 1 comments Robert wrote: "I keep a copy around and just read random sections all the time. I figure if the books not in order, I can read what I want when I want.

And it never stops being amazing."

I like that idea