The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Outlander '09 ***SPOILERS*** - *Warning* High Estrogen Content

Comments Showing 1-50 of 531 (531 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Laura (last edited Jan 30, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) ***********POSTING GUIDELINES FOR THIS THREAD************

We are starting Outlander during the 1/31/09 - 2/1/09 weekend. However, we're not all reading at the same pace. So, when you post here, and your post contains spoilers, please begin your post with a heading which shows the Chapter you are on so people can avoid that post if they choose. Example:

********************SPOILER CHAPTER 3*******************

Any questions, please ask. We don't want to spoil a terrific book for anyone. Thanks!

I can't remember the last time I was so excited to read a book. Especially a long book! Anyway, I thought I'd start the discussion, as it's hard to keep track of each other in the "what are you reading" thread.

Are we agreed that we're gonna wait for the weekend? I think Jeane was gonna be able to get to the library on Saturday and Mary's waiting for hers to arrive too. Is that okay with everyone?

Although, honestly, this isn't the Ministry of Reading Rules, so truly anyone can start whenever the heck they want.

Heather - since you and I started this thing, if you're gonna wait until Saturday I will too. I've got the audiobook and the actual book is coming today.

I listened to the very beginning and it sounds SO right up my alley. I can't wait! I need me some book love !

:)

message 2: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Laura, yes I am going to the library on Saturday but it has to come from anothe rlibrary so don't know when I will get it. But you can all start.

message 3: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments I have the book now...I'll start this weekend if the rest of you are. :~)

message 4: by Beth (last edited Jan 29, 2009 11:01AM) (new)

Beth | 342 comments I'm excited to read the comments of everyone who will be reading this book for the first time.

Reading this book for the first time was a memorable book moment for me--so I'm excited to stand on the sidelines and watch as others experience it for the first time as well!

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments It is by FAR my favorite series of all time so I hope you all enjoy it.

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have my copy, but HAVE NOT looked at the other thread or opened my book! I know there shouldn't be real rules about reading, but I am really excited to read ALONGSIDE everyone else. I wasn't able to get through this month's group read *hangs head* so can't wait for this!!!!
When you guys say start (in this thread) I'll start:)

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) YAY! Okay, then I guess it's on to you Jeane - you'll have to let us know if the library has one for you on Saturday then!

Wow I'm a real cheater. I've read the first page and the first few msgs. of the other thread.

That's why I can't wait! Glad everyone else is cheering us on too!

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think you should quit! I see you have the audio as well. Do you listen and read simultaneously? I always listen to books on my commute, but I just choose the most hours for the least money, never by what I'm reading. Sometimes hearing a book I've already read changes my feelings about it. I think it would confuse me.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I listened to the first page on audio, and skimmed the first few pages on Amazon. My copy is coming home from the library w/my hubby on his way home from work - so should be soon. It's gonna be SO hard to resist.

Guess I'll be like Fiona and become a book hugger and stroker in the meantime.

;)

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ha ha! Like I said, I don't know if they are all like this, but mine is just so PRETTY! I even bought the paperback, instead of the trade...I love pretty books!

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I just got my copy on Thursday from the library. I went to the shelves and it wasn't there, so I asked the librarian to help me. The poor thing searched high and low for it. She finally found me a battered paperback copy. Then as I was about to walk to the check out counter, one of the girls comes rolling a cart. Sure enough the hardback copy was there! So I just want to give a shout out to the librarian for helping me. I did thank her profusely when I was there.

I'm willing to wait till this weekend since I still have to finish my current book. It's been one hell of a busy week. I just want to shut out the world and get lost in a good story!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Fiona, I thought there were only 6 books out, is the 7th already published?? That would require a trip to the bookstore!

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You mean to tell me you guys are getting me started on a BIG series?! Is each installment as large as the first, because that's a brick!?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Kandice,

In all honesty I think the 1st is the shortest. I just started #5, and it is almost 1500 pages. But IT IS SO WORTH IT!!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) haha, okay Fiona-don't fire me up like that!!

:-) I think 7 is supposed to come out either last this year or early next though right?

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Oh my gosh! I have stayed away from thread and reviews, but I know it's about a woman getting transported back in time and falling in love. How in the heck can there be that many thousands of pages about that?! Holy crow! I thought there were 2 or 3. I see more purchases in my future!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I was wary in the beginning...I got the first on bookmooch, but didn't get any others until I started to see if I liked it, immediately ran like the wind and got 2-4...then when I was halfway done with 3 I got 5 and 6...hehe. I am so addicted! I just went on a cruise, I was about 3/4 through 4 (too many numbers in this post! haha) and I made myself leave it at home because I didn't want to be yoked to a book all through my vacation.

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice So, no one has said. Are they all textured? I love that. It's so nice when they make the effort to make a book appealing on the outside. I had to wrap this in the bag and put it in a drawer (with others,haha) to keep from starting. I am especially thankful I got the regular paperback ($7.99) rather than the trade ($14.99) since it seems I may be buying FIVE more!

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice This one isn't bumpy. It's the exact opposite. Instead of the bumps sticking up, they go down. And they aren't round bumps. They are oblongs. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! Good thing I can't get to that book right now.

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I thought you already read it! If you don't know, then how can it? Don't give me doubts! This is a big undertaking.

message 21: by Beth (last edited Jan 29, 2009 02:16PM) (new)

Beth | 342 comments A word of warning for those who are only now embarking... If you love the first one enough to continue (and I hope you all do), do not--I repeat--DO NOT start the second in the series until you are absolutely positive that you have the third on hand.

It ends on a major cliff hanger and you will DIE if you can't start the third one immediately after finishing the second. No joke.

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I appreciate the warning. So, to re-cap, so far we know there are 7, they are HUGE, there's lots, and lots, and lots to say about out of time love, and...there are cliffs in the forseeable future. Like I said, I feel as if this is a big adventure we are embarking on. A committment. It would be like discovering HP now that all the books are out and over. (boohoo :(

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I think the author said something about finishing the series in the year 1800 (like...with the characters in the year 1800 that is, lol)...and then she said maybe two more besides the current 6...I think she has changed her mind several times, it was originally a trilogy.

Beth is so right though-if I had not had Book 3 on hand I would have immedietely run to Barnes and Noble or something even though I usually try not to buy full price books.

Also, if you get a mass market paperback edition of book 2 I would recommend not reading the excerpt of book 3 that it has in the back, you will regret it!

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice So it is basically sweet Jeane we are waiting on? If so, I am checking this periodically throughout the weekend. I tend to mostly watch this site as the kids get ready for school, and at my desk at work, but this weekend...I will be waiting with breathless anticipation.

And yes, Heather, I think it's lovely we are doing it together. We've never met and yet we are having fun together. If our grandma's could have done this...

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) aww Fiona, I'm about 250 pages into TFC and I don't think its boring! I read 1-4 in the span of like a week and a half though...and I was beginning to get burned out a little...then I took a week off now I'm back to TFC and I think that helped.

Of course...250 pages of like 1450 isn't a very good indication of whether or not the book is good either. Maybe I should be quiet for now!

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) OMG I can't believe how many msgs have accumulated in this thread already! My hubby brought the book home and I barely looked at him.

hee hee

OK - Fiona tell me this - is this the kinda book where if you read it you better have your man good and close so that when the urge for a hard body calls ... ??

Cause there's another series I read by J.D. Robb that I don't recommend to single women. It is just too hot and if you're unattached well....it's a sad thing.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) OK, cool....I got a hot feeling from some of the reviews tho. But I could be reading too much into it.

no pun intended

:)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) ...no Laura, its hot, lol.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I found it hotter than the In Death series, actually...

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) alright already

*deleting*

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yeah it's kind of spooky. I can see I'm gonna have to really start cutting down my progesterone dosage...

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Laura wrote: "OMG I can't believe how many msgs have accumulated in this thread already! My hubby brought the book home and I barely looked at him.

hee hee

OK - Fiona tell me this - is this the kinda book..."

LMAO...OMG I'm so happy I was home when I read your question Laura, because I just busted out laughing! I would have been caught out at work.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I'm so glad I'm making everyone laugh! This is how I knew I was going thru early menopause! My sex drive went away, so it was clear something was way wrong. Now that I'm taking way progesterone per Dr's orders, I'm back to normal. But she had to triple my dose to get "me" back.

OMG Fiona I actually thought I had offended you. UGH.

Seriously tho, glad everyone is getting a kick out of my over-sex'd ness.

Should I change the thread to Outlander '09 guys beware? Somebody tell me, cause I am so serious.

Maybe Lori will issue me a citation or something

;)

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Fiona wrote: "Or we could just invite the guys in, as long as they wear kilts and nothing underneath, and have a party."

LOL Fiona !

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Fiona wrote: "And it takes a lot to offend me. Although, seriously Laura... haha! Doesn't your hub mind you thinking about some fictional character... "

Truly? IMO my hub is pretty daggone hot, so... and he knows that (as you can see I'm not real good at keeping things to myself), so nah. I think he's used to it. I've always got my "snout in a book" - his words - so. Books are my first love, always have been.

message 36: by Laura (last edited Jan 29, 2009 03:24PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Maybe I should chg. the thread title to "Outlander - kilts only, guys"

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) These are the times when I really miss Ken. He would get such a laugh out of this thread!

message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) LOL...I think it would be funny if the guys join in. Remember that whole menpause/menstrual cycle convo on the Random Thought thread?? Poor guys didn't say anything, I think with the exception of Ken. hehehe.

BTW Laura, you can pass some of that progesterone over here cuz' since I've been on the pill I've been lacking.

message 39: by Kandice (new)

Kandice If whoever this James ends up being is half as hot as Roarke.... I skip over the smoochin scenes in the In Death series, but Roarke's lead up is always enough anyway!!!
Fiona-Any man jealous of a fictional character should not have a mate!!!!

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Don't even get me started on the pill. I think it's bad news. I went on it in my late teens and started having emotional side effects. Then found out it depletes your B vitamins, which makes you prone to depression, crap like that.

My dau. wants to go on it to regulate her cycle, also to lighten it since she really has issues that way too - but I don't want it to mess her up in other ways.

I tend to lean away from pharmaceuticals in general.

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Kandice wrote: "If whoever this James ends up being is half as hot as Roarke.... I skip over the smoochin scenes in the In Death series, but Roarke's lead up is always enough anyway!!!
Fiona-Any man jealous of a ..."

Wait - skip over the smoochin scenes??? In the In Death series??? How can this be?

And I am SO not a chaser of book sex. I really think it has to have its place, I don't like any gratuitous junk in songs, movies, books - truly.

But skip the smoochin scenes in In Death??? That takes willpower.

Or maybe it's just O.S'd. me again.

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Huh, I didn't know that about the B vitamins. I had side affects from the previous ones I was on so I changed. But these new ones I think are causing me to have skin issues. I was off for one month and my skin was clear. I got back in January and now I'm having horrible breakouts. I think I'm going to have to go back to the doctor again.

message 43: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have read a few books on purpose for ahem... sex scenes. When I read the In Death series, I am looking for a mindless little mystery. I love both characters, but just don't want all that detail. Those scenes are usually less than a page and a half, and like I said, the lead up is usually pretty steamy. Don't worry, I get how perfect Roarke is!!! And, how the hell am I supposed to be pronouncing his name? Is it Rork, or Ro-Ark?

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) That's a good one I have no clue. I think you're supposed to think rock when you think of Roarke

;)

I should say Rock or perhaps even ROCK.

OMG

I need to like get myself a room or something.

message 45: by Kandice (new)

Kandice R rating is right!!! Personally I like Ro-Ark. With a little roll in it. That sounds the sexiest!

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) He is totally my book crush. Him and Mr. Darby of course.

message 47: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) | 432 comments I can't wait to read this! :) I won't be able to start it for a another week and a bit, but I'm excited to chat about it with you all. :)

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) YOu can take a good B Complex - they should have them everywhere - WalMart, any pharmacy, or health food stores.

OK I dont get the "I dont want my period ever again" part. Huh? You don't get your period since you've been on the pill??

message 49: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You can get a shot from your doctor. You usually have to pay out of pocket, but you can get them. They are supposed to help with energy and vitality.

Not my business, (so you can say so) but if you met the right guy 20 years your senior, would you consider dating him? Would that be such a bad thing? You're not a teenager.

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I got on it because I wanted to lighten my period, but also because I don't want to become a mom yet. My depression/mood swings actually got better, but my sex drive took a hit with the first pills I started taking. Now the ones I'm work, but my sex drive is a bit lower than usual and my skin seems to be suffering. I got for a month, because my prescription ran out and my period reminded me why I got on it in the first place. It was horrible! You can take B vitamins in a multivitamin or seperately. You can get them at the drug store.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11