Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Lauren > Picture It! Most Creative Illustrations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:05PM) (new)

Lauren Pine | 12 comments When a child opens a book, the first thing his eyes travel to are the pictures. "Picture It! The Most Creative Illustrations in a Children's Book," is an award to honor the best illustrator of this crucial literary element. Scott McCloud, author of "Understanding Comics," explains that "all of us perceive the world as a whole through the experience of our senses. When applying that to children's literature, one can easily see that for children to become fully engrossed in a story requires not only strong text but captivating pictures to catch their eyes as they listen to the book. The nominees for this award should exhibit a creative use of different artistic materials and can be literal interpretations of the text or a symbolic representation of the story.

The book should be appropriate for grades K-3.

Nominations are due by March 5th.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Casteel (amanda_casteel) | 16 comments I nominate Oh, the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss. This book has absolutely phenomenal illustrations, but many people do not know the background behind the illustrations. I believe this background is what makes this book truly deserve your award. Theodor Geisel did all the illustrations for his books himself. After he completed illustrating his books he flew to New York and handpicked every color for every page. Oh, the Places You'll Go was Dr. Seuss's last book. He was very ill when he was writing it. He was barely able to finish illustrating it, and he was too ill to fly to pick the colors. Instead of allowing someone else pick the colors and finish the book Dr. Seuss had the colors come to him. He was very ill and dying and Dr. Seuss still handpicked every color for every illustration. This is why this book deserves your award.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean | 16 comments I nominate The Big Cheese of Third Street
by Laurie Halse Anderson and illustrated by David Gordon. the "big cheese" turns out to be the little guy in this children's book, and doesn't even need words to tell the story. the illustrations are so incredible that the reader feels like he/she had to squeeze into a pair of the Tiny Antonelli's shoes to get past the first page.

message 4: by Brittany (last edited Feb 19, 2009 03:43PM) (new)

Brittany Koontz | 13 comments I nominate "Alphabet House" for this Picture It! Most Creative Illustrations award. This book is written and illustrated by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace. This creative book is exciting to look at, because each page is a letter in the alphabet. When looking at the illustrations, the room in the "Alphabet House" is filled with objects that start with that letter of the alphabet. It is creative because the children have to look at the pictures and figure out what they are, knowing what letter it starts with. The book contains a "Can you find" section at the end. This is a great way for children to learn their alphabet and objects that begin with that letter.

message 5: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 13, 2009 07:34PM) (new)

Elizabeth Heuston (luv2shop) | 13 comments I nominate "When Will It Snow?" by Marty Crisp and Illustrated by Viv Eisner. The illustrations in the story are bright and colorful enticing the reader to keep reading to see what happens. Along with being colorful the pictures are very creative, just like Peter Petrosky MacGegor O'Toole. Peter dreams and lives for the deep snow of winter. Not only will students love the story the pictures will be the hook. I plan to keep a copy in my classroom for students to read.

message 6: by Krystal (last edited Feb 22, 2009 03:31PM) (new)

Krystal | 13 comments Wabi Sabi

I nominate the book "Wabi Sabi" which was published in 2008 by the Hachette Book Group. The book was written by Mark Reibstein with magnificent artwork done by Ed Young. Young is a Caldecott Medal-winning artist who uses this book to reveal his breathtaking collages. The book makes it able for the audience to disappear into the the world in the drawings. The artwork is so realistic and unique that you immediately fall in love with it. Each page unmasks a different technique and genre of art. Reibstein uses collages to reveal the story of "Wabi Sabi". Not only does the book have beautiful and creative illustrations, it also tells a wonderful Japanese story. Wabi Sabi is the name of the cat in the book, and she goes out to find out what her name means. Everyone tells her that the definition is complicated to explain. She is finally directed to the monkey who finally tells her that her name means "simple and beautiful". At the end of the story, there is a sub-story about the meaning of Wabi Sabi and why it is important in Japanese culture. This book could be used in the elementary literary classroom grades K-3. The children will not only be actively involved in intriguing text, but will automatically connect with the phenomenal illustrations.

message 7: by Melody (last edited Mar 05, 2009 06:36PM) (new)

Melody Kephart (MelodyKephart) | 14 comments I nominate the book "Tinka" by Rainy Dohaney. Rainy is also the illustrator!
Tinka is the smallest sheep anyone has ever seen, she is the size of a cupcake. This causes some disadvantages for her. However, she has a friend who helps her see that being small isn't all that bad.
This is the best book for you to choose to win the Picture It! Award.
This book is tremendously illustrated. It has soft edges which draws you into the text. The illustrator used watercolor and colored pencils to give a cuddly warmth to the book. This is a must-see book. You will fall in love with the illustrations each time you turn the page. You don't even have to open the pages of this book to know its a winner. The front cover is beautifully illustrated. Please take a look at it and consider it for the award. It will not fail to satisfy you. Once you look it over, you will want to choose it and not look at anymore choices. Its that amazing!
This book is good for a read aloud for preschool to first grade. Readers would need to at least be in the Early Transitional stage.

Tinka Tinka by Rainy Dohaney

message 8: by Bridget (last edited Mar 01, 2009 09:43AM) (new)

Bridget | 13 comments I nominate Nonsense by Edward Lear and pictures by Valorie Fisher. This is a wonderfully fun book, not only with its creative and "nonsense" poems, but the pictures are out of this world! Valorie Fisher does an amazing job fusing together various artistic mediums to depict each poem. She incorporates paintings, cutouts, photographs, and objects for each scene. What I love most about this book, are the vocabulary words that are wrapped in the picture somehow. These decipher words that children may have trouble understanding in the poem. The poems describe a very intrinsic imagination and the pictures do an excellent job of portraying that. I could just sit and analyze each picture forever!

message 9: by Alecia (new)

Alecia | 13 comments For the Picture It! Most Creative Illustrations Award, I nominate Bear Snores On written by Karma Wilson and illustrated by Jane Chapman. The illustrations in this book are fabulous! Chapman uses large, soft-textured acrylic paintings to create Wilson’s cast of friendly critters from the woods. The illustrations keep the reader’s focus on the simplicity of Wilson’s story. The beautiful artwork also places readers’ attention on the contrast between the snowy, blustery winter outside the cave and the warm friendships happening inside. To show the camaraderie and warmth inside of the cave, Chapman uses warm colors. These warm colors also depict the coziness of the cave itself. The illustrations in this book are a perfect supplement to the story, which is about hibernation and friendship. Not only will children love this story, they will be captivated by the incredible illustrations, which is why I nominate Bear Snores On!

Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson

message 10: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 14 comments I nominate, Over the Rainbow written by E.Y. Harburg and Harold Arlen. The illustrations in the book are wonderful. Julia Noonan does an excellent job using soft but bright colors. The illustrations contain lots of amazing details. The children in the book look alive. The illustrator does an awesome job contrasting the text with the pictures. I nominate this book becaue it contains one of the best illustrations I have seen in a children's books.

message 11: by Elissa (last edited Mar 05, 2009 08:17PM) (new)

Elissa | 14 comments I nominate “Plum” by Tony Mitton and Illustrated by Mary GrandPre. The illustrations are done with pastels and toned with printmaking paper, making them crisp and clear. “Plum” is a book of poems that has excellent illustrations. The illustrations include a lot of detail and really go well with the poems. The illustrations are really creative, colorful, inventive, and really catch the reader’s eye.

The illustrations in “Plum” are just amazing, I really recommend looking at this book of poems and their illustrations! Kindergartners through third grade students would really enjoy this book and its illustrations!

Plum by Tony Mitton

message 12: by Brianna (last edited Mar 04, 2009 06:28PM) (new)

Brianna Jones | 13 comments I nominate 'Shadow' by Marcia Brown. She translated this African tale and illustrated it. It is a fantastic book in poem form. It is especially interesting because the story has African themes and children seem to enjoy reading stories from a non-Eurocentric point of view. The illustrations really add to the story, they are not traditional drawings but actually appear to have shadowy images. The pictures appear to be layered images but I am not certain this is how she created the illustrations. I definately think this book has the most creative illustrations and is an excellent candidate for the award. It even won The Caldecott Medal!