Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Amanda > The Napoleon Bonaparte Award

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Feb 02, 2009 08:09AM) (new)

Amanda Casteel (amanda_casteel) | 16 comments Napoleon Bonaparte once said, "Un bon croquis vaut mieux qu'un long discours." This translates to "a sketch is better than a long speech." This award will go to the best wordless children's book.

Remember that McCloud defines pictures as images designed to actually resemble their subjects, but as resemblance varies, so does the level of iconic content (1993). In other words, pictures in these books should represent something and should act as icons for young and older readers.

To be considered for nomination a book must be appropriate for grades kindergarten through fifth. The book must also be a wordless children's book and still tell a story. Consider storyline as well as illustration when you are nominating a book.

Nominations are due on or before March fifth. This is the Thursday before Spring break.

Works Cited: McCloud, S. (1993). Understanding comics. New York, NY: Harper Paperbacks.

message 2: by Lori (last edited Feb 27, 2009 05:41PM) (new)

Lori | 19 comments The Boy, the Bear, the Baron, the Bard (Neal Porter Books) by Gregory Rogers

I nominate "The Boy, The Bear, The Baron, The Bard" by Gregory Rogers. Written for Grades 1-4 and set in Shakespeare's London, this book is beautifully illustrated and offers glimpses of the theater, adventure, magic, and friendship. It is inventive and fun, and very different from many other wordless books on the shelves today.

message 3: by Brianna (last edited Feb 26, 2009 08:34AM) (new)

Brianna Jones | 13 comments I nominate "Chicken and Cat" by Sara Varon as the best wordless picture book. It shows two friends, a chicken and a cat, enjoying a day together. They spend the day doing all kinds of activities in the city together. The illustrations do a great job showing the characters emotions. It is very sweet to watch the two characters interact because you can tell they are really good friends. I think children would enjoy looking at this book and creating their own narrative.

message 4: by Brittany (last edited Feb 19, 2009 03:28PM) (new)

Brittany Koontz | 13 comments I am nominating "Do You Want to be My Friend for the best wordless picture book." This is written and illustrated by the very popular author, Eric Carle. On each page, the book shows an animal going to another animal, asking the question "Do you want to be my friend?" The illustrations are wonderful, because on each page it shows a tiny part of the next animal, and the child has to guess which animal would be next. This is a great book for learning different types of animals.

message 5: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 26, 2009 03:21PM) (new)

Elizabeth Heuston (luv2shop) | 13 comments I nominate "Little Turtle" by Valerie Sommerville as the best wordless picture book. The pictures in "Little Turtle" tell a story of a turtle of his hatching and all the adventures he encounters. He survives a curious dog finding him and children playing with him. The pictures offer enough details students could easily create their own story. The pictures are very bright and colorful. Great book for shared writing or shared reading. The book is excellent for nonreaders or emergent readers. Enjoy looking at the pictures!

message 6: by Alyssa (last edited Feb 26, 2009 08:34AM) (new)

Alyssa | 14 comments Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-4th
Topic: One frog too many
Illustrator:Mercer and Marianna Mayer

I nominate "One frog too many" by Mercer and Marianna Mayer. This book is a wordless picture book about an overly jealous frog. A little boy from the previous book "frog on his own" finds a pet frog and keeps him. So when the little boy finds another frog in "one frog too many" the old frog becomes jealous. You can tell this by the original frogs facial expressions as well as the original and new frog fighting. The little boy gets annoyed that the original frog is fighting with the new frog. So the boy scolds the original frog. The whole time the two frogs are feuding, but when the new frog gets lost they all panic. After looking for a long time the original frog and the new frog become friends. This book has great illustrations as well as content. However, the illustrations are in black and white. This book was made in 2003 with a series of other books that follow. I would definatly have this book in my classroom because it gives children a chance to explore the use of their imaginations through a picture book.

message 7: by Lauren (last edited Feb 22, 2009 02:53PM) (new)

Lauren Pine | 12 comments I nominate "A Fright for Max" by Hanne Turk. We've all had the experience of being frightened by something that turns out to be nothing. Perhaps it was a shadow on the wall or the way your coat is slung over the chair. In this book, a little mouse named Max gets ready for bed and then falls asleep. When he wakes up, he thinks he sees a monster in his room but it turns out to be a pile of his stuff. Then when he goes to the kitchen, he sees another monster. This time, its a hanging plant in the corner of the room. Max then takes his toy cat to bed with him and sleeps peacefully. This is an adorable wordless picture book and the illustrations are simple, yet effective enough to tell the story. This is a great book for emergent readers and will foster the use of their imagination.

A Fright for Max by Hanna Turk

message 8: by Krystal (last edited Feb 22, 2009 01:45PM) (new)

Krystal | 13 comments Pancakes for Breakfast

I nominate "Pancakes for Breakfast" by Tomie DePaola. The wordless non-fictional literature was published in 1978 by Voyager Books Harcourt, Inc.. This book is about a woman wanting to make pancakes for breakfast. Because of the wonderful and intriguing illustrations, there is no need for words in this book. Through the woman's experiences trying to make a recipe for pancakes, there are various learning tools in the symbolism. The woman needs milk and eggs and goes to the barn to receive them. This book could be used as an introductory book in the kindergarden classroom about farm animals and their importance in the food market. The book also introduces the importance of friends. The lady tried to make her pancakes, but when she returned with the syrup the dog destroyed the pancakes. She then caught a whiff of her neighbor's pancakes seeping through the doorway. She was still able to eat her pancakes that morning because of her nice friends. The only writing throughout the whole book was the pancake recipe in the recipe book and a plaque on the wall that read "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again". The text was also an important literary learning tool throughout the picture book. Even without written text to be read, there is still text surrounding your everyday life. I think that DePaola used this element in this book to reveal that there will always be an important attribute of text. This book would be a phenomenal tool in the literary classroom because it actively engages the students. They would be able to "insert" themselves into the story. This is an important aspect of "expressive engagement" according to Sipe's. I think that the children would enjoy creating their own wordless picture book that tells a story. You could use this concept as a symbolism lesson in the literary elementary classroom!

Sipe, L.R. (2002).Talking back and taking over: Young children's expressive
engagement during storybook read-alouds. The Reading Teacher. 55, 476-

message 9: by Melody (last edited Mar 05, 2009 06:55PM) (new)

Melody Kephart (MelodyKephart) | 14 comments I nominate "Magpie Magic" by April Wilson. This is a tale of colorful mischief. In this wordless picture book, a child's two hands open a packet of colored pencils and get down to work drawing a magpie that is visible through a window. The child draws red cherries to entice the magpie down, but the bird soon makes itself a nuisance by popping a balloon and then, with powers of creation equal to the child's, gets down to a little drawing of its own. This is a great book, a must see!
This book would be great for any age but is targeted toward preschool to second grade. The best reason to choose this book for the award is that students will pick it up again and again while teachers will use it to introduce colors or creativity.
Please consider this terrific wordless book for the Napoleon Bonaparte award because it not only is a great picture book but it also tells an interesting story. It fits your description well and should be chosen!

Magpie Magic A Tale of Colorful MischiefApril Wilson Magpie Magic A Tale of Colorful Mischief by April Wilson

message 10: by Alecia (new)

Alecia | 13 comments Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and Girls! Step right up to hear my nomination for the Napoleon Bonaparte Award! I nominate Sidewalk Circus by Paul Fleischman for best wordless children’s book. The illustrations in this book depict the storyline of children’s imaginations running wild when they see advertisements for an upcoming circus coming to town. This wordless picture book is an amazing way to allow children to use their train of thought and imagination to tell a story using the gorgeous illustrations. Many wordless picture books have simplistic drawings to get the author’s point across, but this book uses intricate illustrations that draw the reader in and makes the reader feel like they could be part of the story. The illustrations also invite the reader to stretch their minds and create their own text. Also, I like how the illustrator uses circus pictures to draw the reader’s attention to how actual street happenings can be seen as spectacular circus events through eyes of a child. Sidewalk Circus is definitely deserving of the Napoleon Bonaparte Award!

Sidewalk Circus by Paul Fleischman

message 11: by Bridget (last edited Mar 05, 2009 03:31PM) (new)

Bridget | 13 comments I nominate Aunt Possum and the Pumpkin Man, by Bruce Degen. This is an adorable book that clearly shows the story, yet it still allows diverse interpretations to be made. It's all about Aunt Possum, who has just baked a pie and is letting it cool on the windowsill. The door suddenly opens and a pumpkin phantom appears. At first Aunt Possum is scared, until she realizes that it is just a few animal children trying to scare her to get the pumpkin pie. This is a wonderful story about forgiveness and compassion. The pictures are very detailed and do an excellent job displaying the story. I give this a two thumbs up!

Aunt Possum and the pumpkin man by Bruce Degen

message 12: by Sean (new)

Sean | 16 comments You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum (Picture Puffins) by Jacqueline Preiss Weitzman by Jacqueline Preiss Weitzman. The all-picture book is age appropriate for early elementary, and fun to read for all ages. The "world view" is white, but hopefully everyone can enjoy this "read". The pictures are funny and ironic, between the doorman's chase and the little girl's stroll through the metropolitan, and deserves to win your award for the best wordless children's book.

message 13: by Elissa (last edited Mar 04, 2009 08:19PM) (new)

Elissa | 14 comments I nominate “Friendship Max” by Hanne Turk because the illustrations are clear and tell a clear story; although, children could really use their imagination to tell the story. “Friendship Max” is about a mouse that is very close with his toy. Max sees a spot on the globe to where he would like to travel too. He builds and a paints a boat, and as he sails off he realizes he forgot his friend. He swims back to retrieve his friend as his boat floats away. This is a short read and is appropriate for kindergarten through fifth grade.

Friendship Max (Max the Mouse Book, No 15) by Hanne Turk

message 14: by Amanda (last edited Mar 27, 2009 07:20AM) (new)

Amanda Casteel (amanda_casteel) | 16 comments ...and the winner is...

SIDEWALK CIRCUS

Paul Fleischman
c/o Candlewick Press
99 Dover Street
Somerville, MA 02144

Dear Mr. Fleischman,
Congratulations! Sidewalk Circus has won the Napoleon Bonaparte award for the best wordless picture book. This award is not as glamorous as a Caldecott award, but it is very special. Your book is the first ever to receive this award, and Sidewalk Circus will be the last book to receive the award. Napoleon once said, “A sketch is better than a long speech.” I believe this quote to be true, and I based my award on it.

Let me introduce myself. I am a junior at Penn State University’s Altoona, Pennsylvania campus. Elementary education is my major. I am currently in the language and literacy part of my education endeavor. Our class created award categories and posted them. My fellow classmates nominated many books for this award, and it was my job to pick a winner. This is where your book comes in.

I absolutely loved Sidewalk Circus from the first moment I read it. I never would have thought that a wordless story could tell so much! This is the best wordless picture books I have ever read, and I plan on using it in my future classroom. I know you are very busy; however, it would be great to hear back from you.

Sincerely,

Amanda Casteel

message 15: by Cjlampwick (new)

Cjlampwick | 1 comments I just wanted to share with everyone a great website I discovered the other day. They offer downloads of classic fairy tales with fantastic images and entertaining narration and character acting. Not only do my kids love them, but I find them enjoyable as well. These timeless stories can be downloaded to computer or mobile device and they are very inexpensive. They gave me a coupon code to be shared. Enter 10off at download.
http://www.knowledgeworksco.com/