Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Elizabeth > Shake it! Award for classic stories, with a new twist.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 05, 2009 08:57AM) (new)

Elizabeth Heuston (luv2shop) | 13 comments Shake it!
Fairy tales are a favorite genre among children. The book take them to far away places that only are alive in their minds, just like a daydream.
"I found others who had similar daydreams as children none of us ever believed these theories..."(McCloud) As kids we all read the classic children stories, mostly fairy tales, with mystical creatures, princesses, princes and pirates and daydreamed of what it would like to be in our favorite book. The Shake It! Award is for the classic children stories that have a new, modern twist. The twist could be an added character, told from a different point of view, or a twist on the plot.

The books should be for an elementary age reader, focusing on grades 3 and below.

The nominations are due March 5 or the Thursday before Spring Break.

McCloud,Scott From"the Vocabulary of Comics" and "Blood Gutters: in Understanding Comics. 1993

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Lon Po Po by Ed Young

Lon Po Po is a spin on the traditional tale of "Little Red Riding Hood."

message 3: by Lauren (last edited Feb 08, 2009 09:12PM) (new)

Lauren Pine | 12 comments There are two sides to every story which is why I nominate "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" by Jon Scieszka. This story is an entertaining twist on "The Three Little Pigs." The story is told from the wolf's point of view, and he explains that he simply wanted to borrow some sugar from the pigs and sneezed, accidentally destroying their homes. Alexander T. Wolf claims it was all a misunderstanding and that he is truly innocent. He blames the newspapers for creating a scandal out of a harmless visit to his neighbors. This book is very entertaining and it's not often you get to hear the "villain's" side of the story! This book would be great to use for reader's theater, except it does only have a few characters. Perhaps the rest of the class could be reporters covering the scandal! The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Feb 24, 2009 03:50PM) (new)

Amanda Casteel (amanda_casteel) | 16 comments I nominate The Wolf Who Cried Boy by Bob Hartman. This is a take-off of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. The text of this story is absolutely amazing. The writing draws the reader into the story. The book truly allows the reader to look into the mind of a young, and somewhat selfish, wolf. In addition to amazing text, this book has phenomenal illustrations. Every time I have read this book with children they have absolutely loved it. This book includes references to the original tale; however, it is not essential for a child to know the original fairy tale to enjoy this book. I think this is an important fact because not all children know the story of the boy who cried wolf. This book is truly amazing and if it doesn't win the award the poor little wolf will be very sad.

The Wolf Who Cried Boy Modern Gem  by Bob Hartman

message 5: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Jones | 13 comments I nominate "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales" by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith. It is filled with new twists on fairy tales! There are ten different fairy tales rewritten from the classic story. I think this book would be great to use in the classroom because most children would know the original story and could understand the irony of these new versions. It could be challenging using this book in the classroom if the students are unfamiliar with the original tales. I think by first or second grade though most students know stories like the gingerbread man and the ugly duckling. The pictures are also really funny and make the stories even more enjoyable!

message 6: by Brittany (last edited Feb 19, 2009 04:42PM) (new)

Brittany Koontz | 13 comments I nominate "Pretty Salma" for this Shake It! award. The author and illustrator is Niki Daly. This book is a Little Red Riding Hood Story from Africa. In the story, Salma lives with her grandparents on a quiet side of town. Granny needs her to go to the market with a basket, and has told her not to talk to strangers. On the way back, Salma was singing and decided to take a short route home. On this route, she gets greeted by Mr. Dog. Mr. Dog follows Salma and first carries her basket, then puts on her flip flops, and then takes her scarf and beads. He tells her that she doesn't get anything back until she teaches him the song, and if she doesn't he will bite her in two. Salma runs and finds her grandfather. They hurry together to find granny, because Mr. Dog is attacking her. Granny jumped into her cooking pot, when suddenly Salma and grandfather came home and scared Mr. Dog away. Salma will never talk to strangers again. This is a great twist to "Little Red Riding Hood." This would be funny for children to read, but it would also have a good remember to never talk to strangers.

message 7: by Krystal (last edited Feb 22, 2009 03:16PM) (new)

Krystal | 13 comments How I Became a Pirate

I nominate "How I Became a Pirate" by Melinda Long. David Shannon, a Caldecott Honor illustrator, provided the beautifully mastered artwork for the magnificent text. The book was published in 2003 by Harcourt Books. "How I Became a Pirate" is an amazing picture book that fits the Shake It! Award perfectly. The story mends the old fairy tales about pirates into a modern story. Little Jeremy Jacob was on the beach with his family when he first saw the pirate ship. After he gets to become a pirate himself, he realizes that being a pirate is not that great after all. Pirates do what they want when they want. This meant that Jeremy was not going to hear a good night story, get a good night kiss, or get tucked into bed. Jeremy finds a solution to his problem though. He informs the captain that he can bury his treasure in his back yard. This makes it easier for Jeremy to see his pirate friends, but still be able to do the things that pirates don't do. This book would be an amazing source in the literary classroom grades K-3. Long uses Jeremy as a character that any child is able to connect to.

message 8: by Melody (last edited Mar 05, 2009 06:28PM) (new)

Melody Kephart (MelodyKephart) | 14 comments I nominate "Kate and the Beanstalk" by Mary Pope Osborne with illustrations done by Giselle Potter.
This clever twist on a classic fairy tale stars a smart girl instead of traditionally lazy, not-so-bright Jack. Osborne's telling (aside from the gender switch) remains fairly faithful to the original: the hungry mother sends her child out to sell the cow, the cow is traded for magic beans, the angry mother tosses the beans out the window, a beanstalk grows, the hero climbs it, and vanquishes the evil giant, winning treasure in the process. A surprise ending gives the tale an extra jolt of happily-ever-after.
Potter's remarkable illustrations make this version stand out which automatically makes this the best possible solution out of the award choices. The rich, yet muted tones, invite the eye to linger over the flat pictures of oval-headed Kate. Potter even did an excellent job depicting the creepy looking giant. However, it is a child's book so although she made the giant creepy, it is not scary looking.
Take one look at this amazing book and you will not need to look at another one. Your choice will be made because this book fits your description perfectly and pleasantly. This is a must read and when you do, you will be hooked! Please consider this book to win the Shake-It Award. It is so deserving!

this book was designed for ages 4-8 and can be used as a read aloud or guided reading.

Kate and the Beanstalk by Mary Pope Osborne

message 9: by Alecia (new)

Alecia | 13 comments I have always enjoyed old fairy tales that are told from a different point of view, which is why I nominate Dusty Locks and the Three Bears by Susan Lowell for the Shake It! Award. This book is based on the fairy tale Goldilocks and the Three Bears and it has an added twist from the perspective of the Wild-Wild West. In this story, Dusty Locks is dirty outlaw who is on the run her mom. She puts the neat and orderly bears’ house in complete and total disarray. This book adds humor to the original tale, and I feel that any book that makes children giggle is a great book. To coincide with the text, this book offers colorful illustrations that really catch the reader’s eye. The language that Lowell uses in Dusty Locks and the Three Bears also adds Western flavor to spice up this old fairy tale. The use of western dialect (such as “bean rustler” and “bumfuzzled”) allows readers to put themselves into the western setting of this new age fairy tale. So when all is said and done, and the dust settles, Dusty Locks and the Three Bears is an excellent choice for the Shake It! Award.

Dusty Locks and the Three Bears by Susan Lowell

message 10: by Alyssa (last edited Feb 26, 2009 08:30AM) (new)

Alyssa | 14 comments Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-4th
Title: The Frog Prince Continued
Illustrator:Steve Johnson
Author: Jon Scieszka

I nominate, The Frog Prince Continues because it depicts the primary fairy tale where the princess must kiss the frog to turn him into a handsome prince. In this fairy tale the princess kisses the frog and he did turn into a prince. However, they did not live happily ever after. They were miserable. Because they were miserable during the whole book the prince goes around to all the witches and asks to be turned back into a frog. He was unlucky. However, at the end of the book he realizes how much he loves the princess. This book definatly has a twist. It is a great book for the Shake It! Award.

message 11: by Bridget (last edited Mar 05, 2009 03:47PM) (new)

Bridget | 13 comments I nominate Ruby by Michael Emberley. This offers a modern twist to Little Red Riding Hood, ironically dubbed "Ruby." Ruby is a little mouse who lives in the city and is on her way to deliver some "triple cheese pies" to her grandmother. Along the dangerous and dirty streets she meets a cat who asks her where her grandmother lives. After the cat departs once finding out his information, Ruby calls her grandmother's neighbor to tell her what is about to happen. When Ruby arrives at the door, a bulldog in the same fancy clothes that the cat had on, answers the door and tells Ruby that the cat indeed did show up to eat her grandmother. However, the cat is mysteriously missing and the dog never explicitly states where it is that he went. This is a really cute and smart book, considering that it takes place in a setting that children can now relate to.
This book is for children ages 4 to 8. The illustrations really go well with the text. Even if a child does not know how to read, or is one who would struggle with the text of this book, he or she would be able to tell the story based in the pictures. I would actually rather read this story over the conventional "Little Red Riding Hood."

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 16 comments I nominate "Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter" by Diane Stanley. This rendition of the classic fairy tale twists all over the place. Rumpelstiltskin and the Miller's Daughter have a daughter who may not be able to weave straw into gold, but manages to prove herself quite crafty, as she tricks the king into restoring food and clothing to the people he had previously ravaged in his insatiable pursuit for gold.

message 13: by Sean (new)

Sean | 16 comments Here They Come! by David Costello I nominate "Here They Come!" by David Costello. This picture book, suitable for a K-3 classroom, is Halloween with a twist. The monsters in the night party on Halloween night, dressing up and dancing and singing, but hiding when the human come by... because they're scared! This isn't a fairy tale, but is a timeless American holiday completely flip-flopped. Costello uses his illustration to show our monsters-under-the-bed as they have been trying to be depicted for years. Justify our monsters' feelings, cut them some slack, and use this book to get your kids into your read aloud.

message 14: by Elissa (last edited Mar 05, 2009 08:03PM) (new)

Elissa | 14 comments I nominate “Chickerella” written and illustrated by Mary Jane and Herm Auch. This is definitely a fairy tale with a twist. Instead of Cinderella, there is ‘Chickeralla.’ It’s the same plot as Cinderella, except it centers around a chicken. Chickerella goes to a fowl ball where the “eggsquisite” stranger (Chickerella) charms the prince. As the clock strikes midnight, Chickerella runs out of the doors, and lays a glass egg, which is how the prince eventually finds Chickerella.

This children’s book is very entertaining and is a very different form of the classic fairy tale, Cinderella. “Chickerella” is appropriate for kindergarten to third grade.

Chickerella by Mary Jane Auch

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Heuston (luv2shop) | 13 comments The Winner for the Shake it Award is....Kate and the Beanstalk.
1226 Bloomfield Rd
Roaring Spring, PA 16673

March 26, 2009

Ms. Mary Pope Osborne
c/o Random House, Inc
1745 Broadway
New York, NY 10019

Dear Ms. Osborne,
Congratulations! Your adventurous book Kate and the Beanstalk has been selected as the recipient for the Shake It! Award; for the best classical fairytale with a twist. Kate and the Beanstalk was the first book to receive this award on March 26, 2009 at the Children’s Literature Ceremony.
My name is Elizabeth Heuston and I am currently an Elementary Education major at Penn State University, Altoona, PA. I am currently taking the Language and Literacy Block. As part of my education I was given the opportunity to create and design a Children’s Literature Award. I chose to create an award to honor the best book that took a classic fairytale and added a twist, because children love fairytales about giants, princesses, castle and dragons. My classmates nominated books they felt met this criteria and it was my responsibility to select the winner.
After reading Kate and the Beanstalk, I new instantly that it was the winner. You created an adventurous character and an exciting new storyline to the classic story Jack and the Beanstalk. The language used in the book was wonderful for elementary age students. The pictures in Kate and the Beanstalk are beautiful.
Thank you so much for your contributions to the world of children’s literature. I hope to incorporate your books in my own classroom someday. Enclosed you will find the literature award certificate for the Shake It! Award.
Congratulations Again!

Elizabeth Heuston