Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Brittany > Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, This book has it all!!!!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Feb 05, 2009 10:21AM) (new)

Brittany Koontz | 13 comments Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, This book has it all!!!!!
This award is for the best seasonal book! It should include either holiday or seasonal settings and or seasonal objects, like snowmen. The book must be a picture book. As Lehr mentioned in his article, a picture book is any book which pictures carry a heavy responsibility for conveying meaning and eliciting an aesthetic response from the reader. The book needs to present a clear meaning just by looking at the pictures. Although words are important, they are not as important as the pictures.
This should be for the early elementary age group, Kindergarten - Third grade. Many books like this one are out there, so have fun searching for the "best" one!

The seasonal book nominations are due by March 5, 2009!
Thanks...Enjoy Reading!

Works Cited
Lehr, S. (2008). Shattering the Looking Glass. Norwood, MA.

message 2: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:00PM) (new)

Elizabeth Heuston (luv2shop) | 13 comments Stranger in the Woods A Photographic Fantasy (Nature) by Carl R. Sams I nominate Stranger in the Woods because of the beautiful winter photographs of wildlife. Not only are the photographs amazing the story itself is adorable. It is about a snowman that children have made in the snow for the animals. The animals are unsure of the creature at first then realize that it is food. Kids would love this for a read aloud. Plus there's a recipe for a snowman!

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Feb 23, 2009 12:21PM) (new)

Amanda Casteel (amanda_casteel) | 16 comments I nominate The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons. This is an adorable picture book that tells the tale of Arnold and his apple tree. This book deserves the award because it includes all four seasons; many seasonal books focus on only one. Every season mentioned shows a change in Arnold's tree. This helps children to understand the seasons, and this makes it an appropriate read in any season. The illustrations in The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree show the age of the book; however, I do not think that this is a negative. The illustrations are still great today. I view illustrations as something that can't lose their value over time unless they become inappropriate. This book has survived the trial of time and still is good for children.

The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons

message 4: by Lauren (last edited Feb 22, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

Lauren Pine | 12 comments I nominate "The Grumpy Easter Bunny," by Justine Korman, because of its cute story and adorable illustrations. The book is about an Easter bunny with a very bad attitude. Instead of hiding candy and eggs for other animals to find on Easter, he takes them home and eats them himself. The next morning he sees how much fun the animals are having while they search for their candy, and he also sees how sad the animals who don't find anything are. He learns the importance of sharing and becomes a happy bunny and enjoys Easter. This book would be great for a read-aloud and would be appropriate for kindergarten to third grade.

The Grumpy Easter Bunny by Justine Korman

message 5: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Jones | 13 comments I nominate "The Fourteen Bears Summer and Winter" by Evelyn Scott. It is written as two seperate stories, the first is about the bears and all the activities they enjoy in the summer. The second shows the bear family in the winter. The illustrations really add to the story. Virginia Parsons illustrated the book, she does an excellent job depicting the bears enjoying both summer and winter. This book would be excellent to use in the classroom because children could relate to the bears and it could allow for great discussions.

message 6: by Alyssa (last edited Feb 26, 2009 08:31AM) (new)

Alyssa | 14 comments Genre: Picture Book
Audience: Age 4-8
Author: Janice May Udry
Title: A Tree is Nice
Illustrator:Marc Simont

I nominate "A Tree is Nice" by Janice May Udry. It is a Caldecott award winning book in the year 1957. It is a very positive and uplifting book from start to finish. It is an older book but it is a book that children can relate their experiences too. One of the things that I really enjoy about this book is that it includes diversity. It is a simple book about the spring season when trees are being planted, when kids are going fishing, building fires, climbing trees, swinging from trees, and even dogs chasing cats into trees. The whole book is centered on trees and the many uses of trees. The book does an excellent job showing spring fever, fall, winter and summer. This book would be an excellent book to have in the classroom or to even use in a read aloud. The children can relate to spring and the many fun things that happen during all the seasons.

message 7: by Krystal (last edited Feb 22, 2009 02:53PM) (new)

Krystal | 13 comments The Snowy Day

I nominate "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats. The book was published in 1976 by the Puffin Books in New York, New York. This narrative is a Caldecott winner. The book is easy for anyone to relate to. The story gives the world view of a middle class African American in the United States. The book reveals the differences among different age groups. The little boy wants to snow fight with the the older children, but he knows that he is not yet old enough to play with them. You could use this book in various courses in your elementary classroom. The one part of the book discusses the transformation of the snowball into water when he leaves it in his pocket. You could use this in an early elementary grade science lesson to discuss the three phases of water. There could be a mini-lesson on the meteorology behind snow formation. The book is very interactive and easy to connect with. This book would obviously be used in the winter season. The pictures in the book are very astonishing and are easy to identify with. They are not necessarily so depicted that it is difficult to connect with. The illustrations are almost malleable that you can connect yourself to that snowy day back in first grade when you were six years old. This book would be a must during a read aloud during the winter on a snowy day!

message 8: by Melody (last edited Mar 05, 2009 06:09PM) (new)

Melody Kephart (MelodyKephart) | 14 comments I nominate "A Perfect Snowman" by Preston McDaniels. He is also the illustrator of this fabulous book! This book is about a snowman who receives the most perfect gifts of all: humility, compassion, and love.
This book is a great seasonal book and allows the children to place themselves into the book. The boy in the story wakes up to find out that snow has fallen so he heads outside to make a snowman. The snowman comes to life and is not very nice to the animal friends that live around him. As the story progresses, the snowman finds himself learning how to be humble, to have compassion, and to love.
This book should win the award because a teacher could use this book to teach a lesson on any of the three things that the Snowman finds in himself.
The illustrations in this book are amazing. There are only two colors used throughout the book which allows the reader to focus on the facial expressions and the details rather than getting lost in color. With such ingenuity, this author/illustrator deserves this award.
This book would be great for preschool thru third grade. Readers would need to be Transitional to Fluent level.
A Perfect Snowman by Preston McDaniels

message 9: by Alecia (new)

Alecia | 13 comments For the Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, This Book Has It All Award, I nominate The Seasons and Someone by Virginia Kroll. This picture book relates Eskimo culture to the changing seasons of the northernmost parts of the Earth using nonfictional facts. This book accurately depicts what happens to the landscape during the winter and summer seasons in Alaska. The Seasons and Someone also has brilliant illustrations that go hand-in-hand with the text to tell a wonderful story. This book is an excellent nominee because it is teeming with the diversity of traditional Eskimo culture. Children should be introduced to as many diverse cultures as possible to gain better understanding and acceptance for people that are different from them. Not only does this book do a good job depicting seasonal aspects, it introduces diversity to our children. The Seasons and Someone is an amazing choice for this award!

The Seasons and Someone by Virginia L. Kroll

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Amici | 16 comments Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons by Agnes Rosenstiehl

I nominate "Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons" by Agnes Rosentiehl. This book is best used for early readers. Lilly who is about four years old, enjoys simple and familiar activities through the four seasons. In the spring, she plays in the park; in the summer, she's goes to the beach; in the fall, she picks and eats apples; in the winter, she plays in the snow. Lilly is a character with a childlike appearance who children could relate to. The illustration colors are warm and bright according to the seasons. This book has the potential to excite children about the seasons and get them reading more books.

message 11: by Bridget (last edited Mar 05, 2009 03:35PM) (new)

Bridget | 13 comments I nominate When the Root Children Wake Up by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Ned Bittinger. This is a delightful masterpiece of a magically enchanting change of seasons. As spring begins to blossom, Mother Earth wakes the Root Children from their long winter's nap, to paint the bugs and wake up Aunt Spring. They play in the meadows and streams together with the birds and butterflies, until the days become longer and Aunt Spring becomes to tired from the heat. Cousin Summer splashes his way onto the scene and they continue to play until Uncle Fall arrives to quiet the land. He is very studious and loves to read and write at his desk. As the air becomes colder, Mother Earth calls her Root Children back home to her, where she tucks them into bed to sleep out the long winter. This book is for children ages 9 to 12.
The illustrations of this book are amazing! They are all oil paintings and the colors are very rich and vibrant, to correlate well with the text. The pictures are my favorite part! They clearly show the differences between each season, and all of the wonderful things you can do during each one. At the end of the story is a lullaby, "Root Children Sleep," which you can sing to.
Children will want to read this book again and again, even if it is just to see the pictures.
When The Root Children Wake Up by Audrey Wood

message 12: by Lori (last edited Feb 27, 2009 06:11PM) (new)

Lori | 19 comments Snowflake Bentley (Caldecott Medal Book) by Jacqueline Briggs Martin I nominate "Snowflake Bentley" by Jacqueline Briggs Martin. This picture book, written for Grades K-4, tells the story of Wilson Bentley, the self-taught scientist who discovered, using an old microscope given to him by his mother, that no two snowflake patterns are alike. This book not only focuses on the winter season, but on a fascinating element of the season: snowflakes. This book is a Caldecott Medal winner.

message 13: by Elissa (last edited Mar 05, 2009 08:07PM) (new)

Elissa | 14 comments I nominate “What Makes the Seasons?” by Megan Montague Cash. The illustrations can be read from just looking at the pictures; but the writing and the illustrations compliment each other really well. The book is all about what makes, spring, summer, fall, and winter. Throughout the story it talks about what is going on during each season. What the rain does in the spring to make the flowers grow; how plants grow so well in the summer sun; then into summer leaves turning into pretty fall colors and what happens to the leaves; and how winter time is a time for sleep for trees, seeds, and different animals. Towards the end of the book, it answers the question, what makes the seasons?

This is an easy read for students in grades kindergarten through third. It has easy rhyming text, which makes it fun to read!!

What Makes the Seasons? by Megan Montague Cash

message 14: by Sean (new)

Sean | 16 comments Over the Hills & Far Away by Chris Conover by Chris Conover. The musical tail tells of Tommy the Piper, who plays "Over the Hills and Far Away", through all four seasons, no matter the snow or sun. For any grade K-5, I would use this musical piece to make an artsy lesson.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Koontz | 13 comments 2074 Raystown Road.
Everett, PA 15537

Date: March 26, 2009

Carl R. Sams II Photography
2675 General Motors Road.
Milford, MI 48380

Dear Mr. Carl R. Sams II & Mrs. Jean Stoick,
This letter is to inform you that your book, Stranger in the Woods, won the first ever recipient of the Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, This Book has it all Award, at the March 26, 2009 award ceremony. This award is for the best seasonal children’s book. In order to win this award, the book nominated had to be an outstanding children’s picture book, with seasonal objects or seasonal settings. As I read in an educational article by Lehr, he stated that a picture book is any book which pictures carry a heavy responsibility for conveying meaning and eliciting an aesthetic response from the reader. The book needed to present a clear meaning by just looking at the pictures. Although, words are important, they are not as important as the pictures. The winning book needed to be for the early elementary age group, or Kindergarten through Third grade. I feel that it is quite an honor to receive an award for a book like this, because of the popularity in children’s seasonal books.
When going through the books that were nominated for this award, I narrowed it down to four books. The wonderful pictures in the Stranger in the Woods are beautiful and helped in making my final decision. Every time I read this book, I feel as though I am out in the woods, trying to figure out who the stranger is, too. The illustrations are very breathtaking and would make a child engaged in reading the story, just so that they could look at all of them. The book is great for children to read, in order to teach them about nature and all of its surroundings.
This award was created for the Penn State Altoona Language and Literacy Education Program. Since I am a student at this college, majoring in Elementary Education, I was asked to nominate books for particular awards and create my own award.
Thank you for your contributions into the world of children’s literature. I hope to use your books in my own classroom someday. Enclosed you will find the literature award certificate for the best seasonal book.
Enjoy & Congratulations on a tremendous book!

Sincerely,

Brittany T. Koontz
Penn State Altoona Student