Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Melody > Stop, Think, & Speak Award

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melody (last edited Feb 20, 2009 04:00PM) (new)

Melody Kephart (MelodyKephart) | 14 comments For this award, the book needs to be based on children with speech, hearing, or mental problems. The book should be geared for Kindergarten thru third grade students. The book can deal with various speech problems as in stuttering, pronunciation, or speech impairment;It can deal with any type of mental disorder but would prefer it be a child with the disability; or, you can choose a book dealing with hearing impairment of any kind.
As Graff & Birkenstein say in their book, "They Say I Say," this book can summarize a point that is not "directly stated in what they say but is implied or assumed"(23). An example of that statement is a book that has a child with a speech problem yet does not necessarily discuss the problem. The book could have a character that has an impairment with a comment or two about that character but not be the basis of the story.

The deadline for this Award is March 5, 2009

This Award is dedicated to one of my best friends who had a stuttering problem throughout his school life.

Resource:Graff & Birkenstein. 2006. "They Say I Say." The Moves that Matter in Academic Writing. New York, NY:Matrix Publishing Services, Inc. p.23.

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Feb 21, 2009 02:17AM) (new)

Amanda Casteel (amanda_casteel) | 16 comments I nominate Stuttering Stan takes a Stand by Artie Knapp. In this book Stan, a squirrel, stutters, and it affects his life. He learns about friendship and acceptance throughout the book. Stan gets made fun of for his speech impediment and gets very upset, but he meets someone else with a disability and learns acceptance and inner strength. It is a picture book and is appropriate for many different grades. The illustrations are wonderful; however, there are not very many of them.. This book was published by the Cincinati Children's Hospital, and I think the fact that this book was published by a hospital speaks towards its helpfulness with speech disorders. This book deserves the award because children with speech disorders can relate to the main character, but children without disorders can learn acceptance and understanding of speech impediments.

Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand by Artie Knapp

message 3: by Brianna (last edited Feb 27, 2009 09:30PM) (new)

Brianna Jones | 13 comments I nominate "Hooway for Wodney Wat" by Helen Lester. This book depicts a mouse who cannot pronounce his R's. He has trouble at school because all the other students pick on him. A new student comes to the school and Wodney ends up saving the day when he leads a game of simon says. This story would be great to use in the classroom because it shows that anyone can be the hero, even the student who used to get picked on. The illustrations are fantastic! Lynn Munsinger created drawings of cute little animals that will really draw children into the book.

message 4: by Alyssa (last edited Mar 06, 2009 06:12AM) (new)

Alyssa | 14 comments I nominate, "Henry the Stuttering Hero" written by aaron hubble. This book is absoltuley wonderful. Little Henry Chicken wants to be just like his dad and grandfather. They are crowing champions. However, he holds a secret and that is he has a stuttering problem. In the book Henry has a lot of challenges to overcome. Out of all of the books I found i think this book deseves the Stop, Think, & Speak Award.

message 5: by Brittany (last edited Feb 19, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

Brittany Koontz | 13 comments I nominate "Gerald McBoing Boing" for this Stop, Think, & Speak award. The author is based on the Academy Award-winning motion picture by, Dr. Seuss. This book is about a boy named Gerald McCloy, that can only say the words Boing Boing, ever since he started to talk. The doctor said that there was nothing he could do about it, so his parents sent him to school. On the first day of school, the teacher sent home a letter that said, he was a hopeless boy and couldn't go to that school. As he was nicknamed, Gerald McBoing Boing, he became very upset and decided to disappear. As he was walking, a voice called out that said, "I need you for my BONG-BONG-BONG radio station." From that moment on, everything in Gerald's life was better. This is great for children to read in order to make them aware of people that have speaking problems. If a child reads this book, it may help them in the future to understand a person's problem and to not make fun of them.

message 6: by Krystal (last edited Feb 22, 2009 03:41PM) (new)

Krystal | 13 comments I nominate "Who was Helen Keller?" by Gare Thompson. The illustrations were done by Nancy Harrison. The book was published in 2003 by the Grosset & Dunlap. This book is a biographical chapter book that reveals the life of the infamous Helen Keller through her eyes. This book could be used as a resource in the elementary classroom grades 3-6. "Who was Helen Keller?" is a perfect nominee for this award because she was both blind and deaf. This would help to reveal the severity of impairments. This book does a wonderful job of putting the impairment into perspective. "Imagine that your ears are stuffed with cotton". The children would be able to see how an impairment can limit you. The book is written in a way that is easy to get drawn into. I like that it reveals her life from early childhood up to her adult life. This immediately makes the children feel correlated with the woman. She was a young child in elementary school as well. You could even show the children what it would be like to have an hearing or vision impairment. You could blindfold them and give them a cane and see how easy it is to get around. This book would be any amazing story to reveal to the children that even with limitations, a person is still able to strive for success.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Pine | 12 comments I nominate "Cookie" be Linda Kneeland and illustrated by Todd Fargo. "Cookie" is about a little girl named Molly who is mentally handicapped. She can understand what people say to her, but she is unable to verbalize a response. Her mother invites Susan to their home, and Susan teaches the family some sign language. After her visit, Molly is able to tell her mother what she wants which alleviates some of Molly's frustrations. The last page of the book has some signs that readers can study and learn as well. This book would be beneficial for students with and without disabilities because it will foster an understanding and provide the ability to discuss such difficult topics. Because of mainstreaming in the classroom, this book would be an important tool for every teacher and would be excellent for read-aloud due to the ability for important discussions.

Cookie

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Heuston (luv2shop) | 13 comments We'll Paint the Octopus Red by S.A. Bodeen/Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen I nominate "We'll Paint the Octopus Red" by Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen for the Stop, Think, & Speak Award. "We'll Paint the Octopus Red" is a touching story about a young girl, Emma, who finds out she will soon be a big sister. She is upset to find this out, but after a talk with her father she thinks of millions of activities for her and her future sibling to do together. When Isaac is born, the family finds out he has down syndrome. Emma is disappointed, but her father explains Isaac will soon be able to do everything just slower. This story would be excellent to read to children to show that everyone can do anything, no matter what may be wrong with them. Also good for parents to read to children who may have a sibling with a disability. A very touching story!

message 9: by Bridget (last edited Mar 05, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Bridget | 13 comments Buddy's Shadow (Turtle Books) by Shirley Becker I nominate Buddy's Shadow by Shirley Becker and illustrated by Todd Fargo. This book is about a little boy who has Down Syndrome and who has been saving up his money from all of the chores that he does for other people, to buy his own puppy. When he brings the little dog home, they instantly become best friends. This is a very easy read for children to understand, and it represents children with disabilities from their point of view. This is great book to reach out to all children. It promotes acceptance for everyone, regardless of their abilities.

message 10: by Alecia (last edited Mar 01, 2009 04:21PM) (new)

Alecia | 13 comments I nominate Sarah’s Surprise by Nan Holcomb for the Stop, Think, & Speak Award. This book revolves around Sarah, a 6 year old who is not able to speak and has to use assistive technology devices to communicate. Sarah really wants to be able to sing Happy Birthday for her mother’s birthday party, and she becomes very upset when she cannot do so. Sarah is able to overcome this problem with the help of her speech therapist and a new augmentative communication device. The great story and wonderful illustrations do an excellent job of captures the challenges, exploration, and sensitivities of a child with a communication disability. This book is a great source to use for helping children become more understanding and accepting of children with disabilities. The excellent emotional storyline and great illustrations make this an exceptional choice for the Stop, Think, & Speak Award!

message 11: by Elissa (last edited Mar 05, 2009 08:04PM) (new)

Elissa | 14 comments I nominate “I’m Not So Different: A Book About Handicaps” by Barbara Seuling and illustrated by Pat Schories. This book tells a story of a young girl who was born with a birth defect and is not able to walk. She lives her life in a wheelchair and realizes throughout the story that she is not so different. She talks about her day, getting up and dressed for school, the bus ride to school, and what happens at school. She also plays sports, swims, and attends a concert with her friend and her dad.

“I’m Not So Different” has illustrations that really go well with the text in the story. The illustrator did a really good job portraying the emotions of the young girl and the tone of the story. This has a very powerful lesson in the story, everyone is unique, and not one person is the same. Just because someone has a handicap, it does not make them any different than you and I.

This is a really good book that explains the thoughts of a young handicap girl. This book is appropriate for grades kindergarten through third.

I'm Not So Different A Book about Handicaps (Owl Magazine/Golden Press Book) by Barbara Seuling

message 12: by Sean (new)

Sean | 16 comments Hi! Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold by Tedd Arnold Ted Arnold. This chapter/picture book would be great for assisting a 3rd or 4th grader who is struggling to keep up. They would feel comfortable, that they are raeding chapter books like the rest of the class, but "Hi! Fly Guy" is filled with sight words and repetition, making it easier for the reader to understand. The book is structured and in order, good for using semantics while reading, and the incorporation of grapho-phonics isn't a challenge because of the repetition and occasional rhyming. This book isn't specifically geared towards students with reading problems, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great tool to use in the classroom.

message 13: by Melody (new)

Melody Kephart (MelodyKephart) | 14 comments THE WINNER OF THE "STOP, THINK, & SPEAK AWARD is.....STUTTERING STAN TAKES A STAND by Artie Knapp.

Artie Knapp
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
3333 Burnet Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45229-3039

Dear Sir:
Congratulations on winning the award, “Stop, Think, & Speak.” This award was given to the author who portrayed speech, hearing, or mental impairment in a book designed for children from Kindergarten through third grade. Your book, Stuttering Stan takes a Stand has won this award.

First let me start with a little background on this award. I, Melody Kephart, made this award. I am a junior at Penn State University majoring in Elementary Education. For my language and literacy course, I needed to make an award and give information about the qualifications that I expected to receive in a book. My eleven classmates were then to find a book with my specifications and nominate them for this award. Out of all the books nominated, I chose your book.

My reasons for making this award were due to my best friend in school who had a stuttering problem and would get mercifully picked on. When I read your book, I knew it was the winner because it described what my friend went through and the challenges he faced.

In order to better understand my award and possibly clear up any misunderstanding that you may have, you can view the award and the nominations on www.goodreads.com. The group to look for is Spring 09 LLED, Altoona.

We had an awards ceremony on Thursday, March 26 at the Altoona Public Library, Altoona, PA, where I presented the “Stop, Think, & Speak” award to the student who nominated the book for you. Her name is Amanda Casteel, also a junior in Elementary Education at Penn State University.

Please accept this award for your outstanding performance in writing on speech impairments. I am deeply thankful for your time and effort in researching and writing this book. God Bless.

Sincerely,
Melody Kephart