Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

What are U doing today? > Thurs. - Jan. 29, 2009 - What are U doing today?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 29, 2009 08:19AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Today I'm going to venture outdoors and do some shopping. Looks like a nice sunny day right now. Guess which one is me: (g) ====>

Photobucket ~~~~~ Photobucket

Enjoy your day, everyone!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hope you find what you are looking for. I hope to get out too for a little grocery shopping. Bright sunshine but the wind is still gusting here.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I bought the cutest little figurine of a tiny bird at Suttons on Route 9 in Queensbury. He's the shape of a Black-capped Chickadee, but is a different color. He seems to have a little red coloring under his beak. $2.99. At that price, who could resist him!

I also copied down a quote from a plate which was on a shelf. It said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's not what's on the plate that counts. It's what's in the chair."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I love to collect birds too and really need to sell some on eBay if I could ever figure out my digital camera..sigh! That one sounds darling. A chickadee was calling when I came home from the store. He stays right around the bird feeder most days. The wind had died down and it was nice when I got out.
I hang some bird ornaments on my Christmas tree, do you also? I also collect those at National Parks that look kinda like beanie babies about the same size but they sing the song of each bird so you can learn its call.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Yes, Alice, we do have bird ornaments on our Christmas tree. I love them. I wish I could find out where to get the ones that sing the song of each bird. That would be very educational. I have recordings, but they are too much to digest at once. One bird at time would be better.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Alice wrote: "You could probably buy them thru the National Parks site but bet the shipping would be awful. What is the nearest park to you, why don't you call them? Its best for me learning them one at a time..."

Thanks, Alice.

We stopped feeding the birds last year because the seeds were attracting mice. Now that we've stopped feeding the birds in the yard, we have no mice.

We have a bird bath which warms the water, but the birds weren't using it. So we stopped plugging it in. At the beginning of the season, we did see a few birds bathing in the bird bath. That was fun!

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 30, 2009 05:55PM) (new)

We had a terrible problem with mice last year too and even a pack rat got into the house. We were VERY SICK. Now I wonder if we should stop feeding them also. My husband has 4 cats and they do catch mice but.....
Survival of the Sickest says that mice are attracted to cat urine if they have a certain mouse parasite in their brain. Its the most incredible thing a person could ever read. I have read it about 3 times as the info in mind boggling. Survival of the Sickest by Dr. Sharon Moalen. I hope I spelled his name right. He also tells how some people are immune to Black Plague and those tend to be the people who load iron. Hans in Europe told me to read this book so bought my own copy. You will never believe what he says about the French! LOL!

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 30, 2009 07:55PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I felt very bad about discontinuing our feeding of the birds. I do miss my birds, but the mice give me the creeps. Sometimes I'm tempted to go the the town park and sprinkle bird seed around.

The book, _Survival of the Sickest A Medical Maverick Discovers Why We Need Disease_ sounds intriguing. I read the reviews at Amazon.com. One of them said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For example, today we consider diabetes mellitus a serious disease because it raises human blood sugars to dangerous levels that can result in loss of limbs and sight, among other problems. However, in an ice age, when temperatures were significantly lower than they are now, having extra sugar in the blood may have enabled our ancestors to survive the cold because sugar lowers the temperature at which we freeze to death. Similarly, Sickle Cell Anemia may have evolved to help people resist malaria."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Interesting.