FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Exercise > February Workouts

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (Angelica221) So last weekend I discovered a new activity that I want to try more in February- rock climbing. I really enjoyed it a lot. So my goal is to go at least once in February. Have you found any new activity that you want to try in the month of February? What are your workout plans for February?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I might try a 5K this spring/summer, so I've got to start running more outside, as long as I don't freeze my ass off...

I also want to try more ab stuff. Crunches are getting boring.

message 3: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I am going to be playing pick up volleyball on Wednesday nights at the Y... I played in High School and College and LOVED it... My goal is to get in shape enough so I can get back into kickboxing too...

Anthony... hubby does something called the bicycle with a weight ball... seems to be more effective than crunches...

mary elizabeth  Williams hi all, i am going to continue running all i can. its hard outside, especially with icy conditions. yesterday, i went out even through it was icy, and ran through a puddle i thought was ice, fell on my butt, and got all wet quite a distance from home. to say the least, it was a cold walk home.
since i don't have enough money to join a gym, i am trying to find free ways to do things. i would love to run on a treadmill!! it would make life so much easier to be able to exercise inside!! i miss warm weather. i keep thinking that when spring comes around it will be so much easier to stay motivated.
my resolution for february is to add strength training back into my routine. i have a video from weight watchers that is pretty good for that. does anyone else have any other ideas?

message 5: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Beth, videos are a great idea and they even have ones for indoor walking so you don't have to brave the weather - kind of marching in place, but with some variations. Check out your local library (if you are not a netflix junkie like me) and online.

Spark People has good routines that don't necessarily require any equiptment. Also, it is easy to add intensity by adding a step. If you don't have stairs in your house/apartment, try a phonebook or something like that.

message 6: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (CHill77) Ok, so since I've had no motivation lately, I'm hoping it will return come February.
I got a Wii Fit for Christmas. I want to start doing that more faithfully.

message 7: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (Angelica221) Beth, I too was going to say Sparkpeople.com. They have a lot of great routines and they break it up. Core, Upper Body and Lower Body.

Cyndi, I have a friend who started Wii fit over the holidays. She started out small and works out a lot now! You can do it Cyndi!!!

message 8: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (CHill77) Thanks, Petunia! I'm starting tonight! And, I started taking my vitamins a couple weeks ago.

message 9: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (Angelica221) Vitamins are absolutely a good start!!! See Cyndi you were already getting geared up and didn't know it!

message 10: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Yep, vitamins are really important...we hardly get what we need even when we are eating right and you need all of those vitamins/minerals to jump/keep our metabolism going!

My February strategy is based on hubby's strategy... He is a monster on the Ellipticle... He's building up to 60 minutes, so I am going to build with him, BUT I am spending my first 30 minutes on the bike. Then I am going to the Ellipticle and finising out his cycle wiht him. By the time he is at 60 minutes, I will have worked my way up to 30 minutes on that and 30 minutes on the Bike!!!

message 11: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) OK - So I am officially up to 15 minutes on the Ellipticle AFTER I do 30 minutes on the Bike... THEN of course hubby discovered this other machine that is like pedaling a bike with your arms... So, we have now added THAT to the rotation... I did 5 minutes the last two nights.

Funny part is after we started doing that arm machine, we saw a hollywood fitness show and that machine and the version of Spin Classes that they do on that machine are now all the rage in CA. lol... who knew I could even BE on the cutting edge of fitness...

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
Oh my god, you guys! These workouts sound awesome! Three cheers for instigating a plan of action!!!!!! Rockin' y'all.

As for me, I'm in a slump. Alas, all should be better next week when I'm less busy.

mary elizabeth  Williams Amanda, Why not start today? Just do something small to get you headed in the right direction-- baby steps. How about a 20 minute walk?

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Beth! You totally called me out! And you're right. Ok, let's see...
Oh, I know! I can walk to the post office!!! :)

message 15: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) That's the spirit, Amanda!!! (nice job Beth)

I played volleyball last night and had a blast!!!
I am not going to the gym tonight because I am practically crippled today (not really, but I do need a break)... lol... I can't wait until next Wednesday!!!

message 16: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (Angelica221) Go Amanda! Sometimes baby steps are the best way to go.

message 17: by GraceAnne (new)

GraceAnne Tremain | 14 comments So far, I have just been doing cardio but I know that I will have to start lifting weights soon. I am just not sure how to use the machines. I walk around that section of the gym, perplexed.
For cardio, I do 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the eliptycal machine.
So far, I have done 5 hours in February.

message 18: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) We do have an expert in the house now, but I wouldn't get too stressed about the weight room GraceAnne... The Cardio machines will help burn fat AND tone your muscles. If they have one of those machines that looks like a bicycle for your arms, I would check that out. We have those in our cardio room and I am now addicted... I can feel my arms tightening up/getting stronger after just a couple of sessions (10 minutes each)...

mary elizabeth  Williams GraceAnne, it might be good to start out with hand weights. those are not as scary as the machines.
does your gym have a trainer that could help you and show you how to use the machines?

message 20: by mary elizabeth (last edited Feb 25, 2009 05:06AM) (new)

mary elizabeth  Williams how are everyone's february workouts working out?

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Horrible--I'm not doing them at all!
I've been behaving really badly lately. Blah.

It's this crappy Catch-22. I've been feeling depressed, so I don't exercise, but not exercising is keeping me depressed. Whine, whine, whine.

mary elizabeth  Williams this is why we need spring! all will be better when it gets warmer Amanda!

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Spring, please come and rescue us!

mary elizabeth  Williams maybe if we think about it long enough we can will it to come. or... maybe not.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

we could try sprouting wings and flying south for winter? maybe?

message 26: by Jenbrandau341 (new)

Jenbrandau341 | 80 comments I am the same way Amanda and one of my friends always tells me I need to go work out because it releases endorphins and I will naturally feel better, but when I get like that I usually dont go.