City of Elua - A Jacqueline Carey Fan Group discussion

Naamah's Kiss

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca Naamah's Kiss comes out this June. Ready to return to the universe with a new character's story?

message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda | 1 comments When I realized that Carey had returned to the universe for the Imriel trilogy , i was afraid she would not have an interesting story to tell. I feared Carey, like so many authors, returned to a series to make money, not tell a new story.

I was so wrong. The last three book were, if anything, more majical then the first three. I hope Naamah's Kiss is as beautiful!

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (Bethbell) | 3 comments I just about crapped my pants when I saw another one was coming out!!!

I might have to take the day off work =)

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 3 comments The plot summary sounds a little... peculiar... to me. On the other hand, one of the things I wondered about reading the books was what it's like to be a Priestess of Naamah, and I think this book may answer that question. But I'm not as interested in Alba as I am in Elua, so we will see. I'm still hesitant. The sixth book was so awesome, though!

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna | 1 comments Just checked in on her website to see that she was writing a 7th novel.. and I'm DYING to see it this summer!

I've read the first 6.. still need to purchase half of them to round out my personal collection.

message 6: by A (new)

A (demimonde77) | 3 comments Mod
mlady_rebecca wrote: "Naamah's Kiss comes out this June. Ready to return to the universe with a new charact..."

I for one am totally ready. I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy the Imeriel books (since I am very attracted to the darker aspects of the Phedre story), so I have high hopes for this new series.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 1 comments It was a great book. Her new set of characters is very interesting. She really leaves the old set behind. I thought it was a great beginning to another epic!

message 8: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (RLB_Creations) | 2 comments I enjoyed Naamah's kiss far more than I expected I would. Carey has a wonderful gift for pulling the reader in and before you know it you care about what happens next

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 1 comments I am really enjoying Naamah's Kiss. I love how Ms. Carey keeps expanding the universe. It's nice that she started out with new characters - keeping the series fresh. Some writers just keep using the same characters for 7,8,9, 10 books and there's just no sense of resolution or ending. I'm excited to see what Moirin will do. There are a lot of dropped hints about what could happen in the future.

message 10: by Penny (last edited Dec 03, 2009 04:16PM) (new)

Penny I was extremely disappointed in this book. I found Moirin to be incredibly naive and lacking in depth. To me, it read a little too close to a fantasy world bodice-ripper for comfort. The sexual encounters really lacked the spiritual context of the other six books - I didn't get the sense that the character was truly connected to Namaah in the way I think the author would have wanted me to feel.

message 11: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Cook Kolbek (audreykol) I too really enjoyed Naamah's Kiss! At first, I was not sure that I would like it since none of the old charaters were not in it and it is set 100 years after them, but I was so wrong. I can't wait to read want happens next to Moirin on her many jouneys.

message 12: by Klehmenteen (new)

Klehmenteen (Kanni) | 6 comments I love Bao.
This book also seemed to me to be more emotionally rooted. Phedre was not as much of a feeling sharer, beyond the crimson vision and sound of bronze wings, and I was able to connect more with Moirin.
Her desire is more easily understood, and her motivation more clear.
Phedre is much more of a hero, just because of the nature of her heroics, but Moirin is human while still having connection to her goddesses.

message 13: by Gothicladybug (new)

Gothicladybug | 4 comments Klehmenteen wrote: "I love Bao.
This book also seemed to me to be more emotionally rooted. Phedre was not as much of a feeling sharer, beyond the crimson vision and sound of bronze wings, and I was able to connect m..."

omg i just finished i agree i love bao since she 1st met him i was like go with the sexy tatar guy. im hooked again. i like her more them imriel and sioned i didnt like their romance much but i love morwin and bao and master lo

message 14: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (MeredithReads) | 1 comments I just finished Naamah's Kiss about a week ago and was pleasantly surprised. I liked that Carey alluded to characters from the past two trilogies often, easing the reader into this new trilogy. I love Bao, too!

message 15: by Ammre (last edited Jun 28, 2010 07:19PM) (new)

Ammre Ulrich | 1 comments I liked this book, but I kinda wish there was a little less phallus holding and naamah's pearl touching and a little more butt kicking, plot untangling, and intelligence wielding. I'm not into sex stories so I groaned and skimmed the sex scenes.

With phedre it was at least central to her being as a lypiphera. With morin it's more like, I'm young, hot, and like to hump like a rabbit.

message 16: by Trae (new)

Trae | 16 comments Phèdre nó Delaunay de Montrève was not just a courtesan of the Night Court, but Kushiel's own, an anguissette, the first in living memory, marked by him to experience pain and pleasure as one. Within the initial Kushiel Trilogy, we readers enjoyed her experiences (from a very young age by present-day standards) with many a Patron (whether s/he treated her brutally, seductively or with indulgence). We were also made well aware of her weakness to succumbing to her gift and particularly so to the Mahrkagir of Drujan in Daršanga and his nubbed, iron sheath.

(The only other instance in which I've experienced such a scene was in the movie, Seven. For those of you who may have seen it and will recall, the horrified perpetrator was hysterical and terrified by that which he'd been forced to do.)

Moirin mac Fainche of the Maghuin Dhonn, by comparison, is gifted by Naamah with desire. Not only does she honor this within herself, but she also inspires and recognizes this within others. Just as Phèdre at times succumbed to her own gift (and at other times willingly gave of herself), so too has Moirin done in the first two novels of the Naamah Trilogy. Nonetheless, her gift is expressed through sexual desire; the giving expression and satisfaction of it - in and of itself - rather than through its painful extraction.

message 17: by Klehmenteen (new)

Klehmenteen (Kanni) | 6 comments I love Moirin. She isn't Phedre, certainly, but her gift is more like love than like the release of our sins through violence.

Phedre was, to me, a vessel into which the world could pour their sins and their darkest dreams and desires. Moirin is almost the opposite in that she brings light to love and to sex.

I also think that Naamaah's Kiss and Naamah's Curse had sufficient plot twisting and intelligence using to keep the reader entertained. I certainly was surprised by how the Vralia thing worked itself out in Naamah's Curse.

message 18: by Trae (new)

Trae | 16 comments Even after having read the unbelievably malicious course of events in Kushiel's Dart and how everything within the amazing tale was played out, I never would have suspected that JC could so successfully piss me off and make me instantly despise a set of characters that war with my own beliefs! Gods and angels, I was so very angry, though not at our esteemed author actually; in the course she chose within Vralia, she delivered the story magnificently! Dammit, I was pissed though ... and crying!

message 19: by Klehmenteen (new)

Klehmenteen (Kanni) | 6 comments Vralia was one of the worst things I have ever read! I grew up in the Christian faith, and it just rang so true with the ideals and the wrongness of the teachings, and I thought it was amazingly done and well written and I love Jacqueline Carey.

message 20: by Trae (new)

Trae | 16 comments With this I couldn't agree more, Klehmenteen!

message 21: by Klehmenteen (new)

Klehmenteen (Kanni) | 6 comments I was thinking the other day about truly epic stories, and I think that Jacqueline Carey has written the single most epic series I have ever read. Like not in the "Dude, what an epic fart" sense of the word, but like in a sweepingly epic portrayal of the darkness that is humanity.

message 22: by Trae (new)

Trae | 16 comments In other words, the darkness that is oft either misrepresented within our humanity or looked down upon or outright ignored willfully by those who do not partake of, approve of, or acknowledge it as valid and acceptable. Such darkness has been a staple within humanity for centuries. Simply, there are those who choose to demonize it.

City of Elua - A Jacqueline Carey Fan Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Naamah's Kiss (other topics)