Vane J.'s Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

19590155
Jul 18, 2014

bookshelves: classics, 2015, romance, amazing-characters, favourites

Edit (August 4, 2015): I'm upping my rating to 5 and adding this to my all-time favourites. It took me a while to realise this, but it's better late than never. This book is so important and feminist and it really should be read by everyone. Jane Eyre is now a role model for me. I can't believe I couldn't see this before.

...

I am really glad I finally read Jane Eyre. I found about it last year when I was looking for the best gothic books of all time. Wuthering Heights was the first I came up with. I read it and I utterly loved it. Afterwards, an interest for the author was born. I learned she had sisters and that they were writers too. Immediately, I searched what books they had written. I added many of them to my TBR.

It was not until somewhere in May that I remembered about the existence of Jane Eyre. I started it without a moment's delay. It took me long to finish it, but it was not because it was bad, merely because I had no time to read. Now, I've got you should read this if you haven't.

Jane Eyre is not only a romance. It's the story of a girl trying to be herself when others want her other things to do. It's the story of an orphan treated badly by everyone around her. It's a story of overcoming obstacles. It's a story about growth.

The protagonist, Jane, is great. She is honest and independent. Even when others criticize her and tell her how to be, she is still herself. She does not let others influence her choices. She is intelligent and sometimes sarcastic. She is constantly saying things like this:

"I am my own mistress."

What's not to love in a character like that?

The plot might not have been of my enjoyment. However, this book contains some feminist remarks that were impossible to ignore, and that made me love this book even more.

Mr. Rochester is the “love interest.” At first, he didn't like Jane. He talked to her like almost everyone did, or he ignored her completely. It was later after that he started developing feelings for her. I admit I didn't like him. He was so arrogant. He loved listening to himself talk.

I could not understand why Jane would fall for a man like him, but then, who am I to judge? Aren't nowadays heroines in books falling in love with abusive jerks?

Their relationship, at first, felt fake for me, but the more I read, the more I liked them. He was sarcastic to Jane, but she responded him with more sarcastic remarks. She was the one in command in that relationship. As I said, she was an independent woman.

"I don’t think, sir, you have a right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience."

The writing was good as well. It's not too dense and it's actually really easy to follow the story. There are no awkward metaphors and whenever something is easily misunderstood, Jane explains what was intended to be said. Sure, you can see some elements from the writing style of the time in which it was written, but compared to many books, this was light.

If you're doubting whether to give it a try or not, I would say go ahead and read it. If you're not really into classics, I would say, again, read it. You can get some important messages out of this. And if you believe this book requires too much of your attention, then I suggest you read this and something fast-paced. In the end, I would say read it to all cases.

Now, I must read something by Anne Brontë. Which one should it be? I don't know yet, but it's certain I will continue reading books by the Brontë sisters. I understand now why many people love them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Vane Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

July 18, 2014 – Shelved
May 22, 2015 – Started Reading
May 23, 2015 –
page 10
1.97% "Jane :'("
May 23, 2015 –
page 30
5.92% "This has a Dickens-ish feel, but that may be because I met Dickens before the Brontes."
May 28, 2015 –
page 62
12.23% "Is this some preaching I hear?"
June 3, 2015 –
page 78
15.38% "I know I should think well of myself; but that is not enough: if others don’t love me I would rather die than live"
June 15, 2015 –
page 121
23.87% "I *may* have just fallen in love with this book. Reason? This:\n \n "
June 20, 2015 –
page 148
29.19% "I don’t think, sir, you have a right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.\n \n Preach it, Jane. You're the best.\n \n P.S.: As a side note, I hate Rochester. He's such an arrogant dumbfuck."
June 29, 2015 –
page 209
41.22% "Jealous Jane is jealous, but her jealousy, for once, does not make me want to strangle her."
July 16, 2015 – Finished Reading

Elysia Burns I'm reading this now too!

Vane J. Yay! Hope you like it. :)

Elysia Burns I'm really enjoying it, just over half way through. :)

Vane J. I'm not even 30% done, so you've read more than me, but I'm liking it!

Elysia Burns I think you'll enjoy it, ten-year-old Jane reminds me of me today haha. Probably means I should mature but you know haha

♛Tash Glad you liked it. This is one of my all time favorites <3

Carmen I read this book pretty recently for the first time, too, and ended up loving it. So glad you liked it!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Hey, you finally finished! :) Glad you enjoyed it.

Vane J. Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕ wrote: "Hey, you finally finished! :) Glad you enjoyed it."

You make me feel bad for not reading this fast. :(

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Vane wrote: "You make me feel bad for not reading this fast. :("

No, no, that wasn't my intent! I know how life gets in the way sometimes. I'm just glad you finally got to the end and liked it. Nice review too, BTW.

message 11: by Tabetha (new) - added it

Tabetha Great review! I have recently started following your reviews. I loved the book, and I loved the Masterpiece Jane Eyre with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens (2006).

message 12: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Tabetha wrote: "Great review! I have recently started following your reviews. I loved the book, and I loved the Masterpiece Jane Eyre with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens (2006)."

Thank you! I've yet to watch the movie. As I said, I didn't know about the existence of this until last year.

message 13: by Tabetha (new) - added it

Tabetha I found that the Masterpiece Jane Eyre -2006 was better than the 2011 Jane Eyre with Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender. Appreciate your reviews!!

message 14: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Tabetha wrote: "I found that the Masterpiece Jane Eyre -2006 was better than the 2011 Jane Eyre with Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender. Appreciate your reviews!!"

I'll write that! Thanks! :)

Evelyn (devours and digests words) This is one classic book I must read before I turn 20. I watched the film (the one with Mia in it) and thought "well hey, the movie's not so bad. What if the book is better?!"

Love the review, Vane <3

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ I wished I remembered more of my read (I read this when I was your age I think - OMG it makes me feel so old >.<) but I know I liked it as well :) Great review, you certainly made me want to reread it!

message 17: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Evelyn (devours and digests words) wrote: "This is one classic book I must read before I turn 20. I watched the film (the one with Mia in it) and thought "well hey, the movie's not so bad. What if the book is better?!"

Love the review, Van..."

Thank you! I haven't watched any movie, but I have to!

message 18: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘ wrote: "I wished I remembered more of my read (I read this when I was your age I think - OMG it makes me feel so old >.<) but I know I liked it as well :) Great review, you certainly made me want to reread..."

Haha, I'm glad you liked it! :)

♛Tash There's a Jane Eyre movie with Fassbender as Rochester? I must've been living under a rock to not know this. Must watch asap.

message 20: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Tash wrote: "There's a Jane Eyre movie with Fassbender as Rochester? I must've been living under a rock to not know this. Must watch asap."

I've never watched it, but yes! There is one!

♛Tash Vane wrote: "Tash wrote: "There's a Jane Eyre movie with Fassbender as Rochester? I must've been living under a rock to not know this. Must watch asap."

I've never watched it, but yes! There is one!"

We need to watch it because it's a movie about a beloved classic.

GAH

Who am I kidding, I'm watching because of Fassbender <3

message 22: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily Great review, and glad you enjoyed this book! I liked your analysis of Jane.
I've definitely enjoyed reading the Brontës over the years and seeing what each of their voices brings. As for Anne, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is excellent (a bit slow at the start, but once it gets going it was really hard to put down).

message 23: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Lily wrote: "Great review, and glad you enjoyed this book! I liked your analysis of Jane.

Thanks! I've only read this and Wuthering Heights by the Brontës, but I loved them both. And thanks for the rec! I will try that one by her first.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Love your revised rating and reasoning! It took a while for this one to sink deep with me as well.

message 25: by Tabetha (new) - added it

Tabetha Great revised review!!!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hooray for independent women in classic novels! :D

message 27: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽ wrote: "Love your revised rating and reasoning! It took a while for this one to sink deep with me as well."

Thanks! I'm glad that at least I didn't have to reread to realise this.

message 28: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Tabetha wrote: "Great revised review!!!"

Thank you!

message 29: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Dana wrote: "Hooray for independent women in classic novels! :D"

Indeed! There are so few of them! :)

message 30: by Kathe (new)

Kathe L Fantastic review, Vane! I have, have, HAVEE to read this!

message 31: by Vane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vane J. Kathe wrote: "Fantastic review, Vane! I have, have, HAVEE to read this!"

Thanks! And yes, you do! :)