Angela's Reviews > Adult Onset

Adult Onset by Ann-Marie MacDonald

Jul 17, 2014

liked it

Adult Onset is described by the author as the third in a trilogy (consisting of Fall on Your Knees and The Way the Crow Flies) and I found it a bit distracting to look for the proof of that. I can see what she's talking about in terms of chronology. And there are some story elements that are the same: (view spoiler)

I'm one of those readers who loved A.M.M.'s first two novels SOOOOO much that expectations were a bit high. But I was aware of that as I began to read Adult Onset. It's hard not to compare. My opinion is that her first two novels are closer to perfect than this one is in terms of characterization, plot structure, and all the novel type things. However, the reason I'm still glad that I read Adult Onset is that I really enjoy the writing style of Anne Marie MacDonald. I've said elsewhere that I'd be willing to read a dishwasher repair manual if she's the one who wrote it. She's that good. So for fans, I'd recommend this novel certainly. But for someone who's never read her work, I'd say to start with Fall on Your Knees.

The subject material was in my range of experience and I thought the imagery was bang-on. I remember how difficult it was being the primary at-home parent and how you can feel a little crazy for lack of adult interaction. Children really do take over your life and they do not apologize or thank you. The difficulties in navigating a marriage relationship in terms of shifting roles were admirably described in my opinion. But I didn't find the characters themselves very convincing, the children in particular. Perhaps the best depicted relationship in the novel was the one between the main character, Mister, and her father. I really felt the distance between them as they tried to reach out to each other. The mother was more of an elusive figure, which is probably intentional as the mother/daughter relationship is the central "problem" of the story.

I gave it only 3 stars but I did like it. Adult Onset is not a poorly written novel by any means. It's good; it just doesn't come up to the expectations raised by the two previous novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adult Onset.

July 17, 2014 – Shelved
page 192
November 22, 2014 –
page 256
November 30, 2014 – Finished Reading

Buried In Print If you go into "Edit Review" for your review, there is a spot next to the stars in that screen which has greyed-out letters spelling "clear" and that will wipe the stars for you.

Angela Thx!