Melissa 's Reviews > Firelight

Apr 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012, teen-action-adventure, teen-fantasy, with-reviews
Read from March 13 to 20, 2012

Jacinda is a draki, a decendant of dragons who can take human form. When Jacinda breaks one of her pride’s rules, her mother smuggles both Jacinda and her sister Tamra out of the pride to protect Jacinda from the consequences of her actions. Her mother hopes moving Jacinda to a desert town, away from the environment where the draki thrive, will both hide Jacinda from the pride and cause her draki to die, allowing Jacinda to live a normal human life. Jacinda loves being draki and does not wish to change that, she fears losing her draki, until she sees Will, the one person who can bring her draki, back to life, and the one person who could destroy her.

I have seen so many wonderful recommendations for this book, so many of my blogging friends really loved this one. I feel a little disappointed that I couldn’t get that excited by it. I think my major problem with this book is my own fault entirely. The descriptions didn’t prepare me for the novel and it wasn’t what I was expecting. I don’t know what I was expecting exactly, but the novel caught me off guard in the beginning and I think that might have prevented me from settling into the story.

I loved the originality of this book. This was a story about mythological beings we haven’t heard yet. When so much of teen lit these days are vampires, werewolves, and mermaids, it was refreshing to see a new twist on the paranormal genre. I would have loved to learn more about Jacinda’s pride and her species before we left her village, because I think that part of the story was so wonderfully original.

While the writing is wonderful, though sometimes I felt like Jacinda eternal thoughts were too repetitive. I know she was stuck between a rock and a hard place, but I wish she didn’t feel the need to mention it quite so often. With the repetition and the pity part Jacinda had going for herself, there were times when I was having some Twilight flashes (especially New Moon, though Jordan’s writing and eloquence exceeds that comparison.

In the end, I found myself really interested in the story that Jordan was telling, and though I wish the pacing were quicker, the conclusion was outstanding. Jordan’s conclusion had me definitely wanting to read the next installment because I have to know what is happening next.

I did listen to the audiobook version of this novel. It is produced by Brilliance Audio and read by Therese Plummer. Plummer does an adequate job with the narration, but her voice might have been a bit too soothing, or perhaps lacking enough emotion to keep me invested in the production. As the recording goes on though, I did adapt to her voice and adjusted to the narration. This might have been a fault of the story too, and my own loss of interest at the beginning so I would want to listen to more of Plummer's narration before I make a judgment call. The recording is 8 discs long and about 582 minutes in length.

Overall, this was a good book, but I just didn’t connect to it the way I wish I had. I am blaming myself with this one, but sometimes there are books that you want to love that just don’t reach you. This one was that for me. I do however, think I want to read the sequel, so perhaps it will get a second chance after I read Vanish

Cautions for sensitive readers: Some violence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.