Sophia Sardothien's Reviews > Zodiac

Zodiac by Romina Russell

it was ok
bookshelves: post-apocalyptic, yet-to-finish, romance, scifi

OKAY *Takes deep breath* here we go *sniff*

I always found horoscopes, astrology and similar stuff interesting but I never really get a chance to read much about it, therefore I'm utmost excited when I heard about this book before BEA which I never get a chance to go cries anyway it was in my MOST ANTICIPATED BOOKS OF 2014 I was dying to read this I even set up a count down to the day it release.

Note to future self
Do not hold high expectations with books, sometimes it will end up disappointing you like hell

IT WAS SO SAD WHEN I HAD TO DNF THIS BOOK IN 67%
I I THOUGHT I COULD MAKE IT THROUGH I REALLY REALLY DID
IT WAS ONLY 33% TO GO AND I CANNOT MAKE IT
I'M SO SHAMED OF MYSELF

This book is about a girl name Rhoma Grace who's a sixteen year old from the the "house cancer"
Astrology the fourth sign of the zodiac. in biology also known as a disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body While her classmates use measurements to make accurate astrological predictions aka logical nerds. Our lovely Rho is unique, special, one of a kind looks at the stars to make up stories bla bla bla. One day a typical situations occur- her house being attacked. DUN DUN DUN But, a true Cancerian who loves her home fiercely and will protect her people no matter what, Rho accepts.

*Slow claps* INTERESTING RIGHT (no sarcasm intended)

Okay I'll start of with the ONE thing I remembered why I like about this book; the world building. Using the astrology we already know the author added a lot of different and interesting elements, which made this book captivating and new to read about.

OKAY NOW THE THINGS I DID NOT ENJOY IN THIS BOOK
The writing style was difficult for me to adapted, for some reasons I just did not like it maybe because the author used present tense? Anyway is really not her problem. But I do know one thing I CANCERIOUSLY HATE THE TERMINOLOGIES I guess is just a personal thing, okay so every house there's a guardian the keeper of the house? something like that. And they're called holy mother . REALLY???
I'm not one to often use examples from the book but god IT'S SO WEIRD AND ANNOYING

"We're running out of familiar faces. I'm only asking for your help. And... if you can spare your friendship."
He bows. "As you wish, Holy M-"
"What I wish," I said loudly, before he can finish, "Is that you use my name. Rho." If Mathias ever call me mother, I will die.

Now perfect example why I hated the terminology in this book, aha and it's not only me who doesn't like it even our darling Rho doesn't like it. Another reason why I DNF this book is that the plot was just pure boring, it seems like nothing really happens. I could deal with weird terminology and not so great writing style (In my perspective) but I just could not stand a sic-fi novel that nothing really has happen in the freaking 60% of the book.

Speaking of our darling Rho, I did not like any of the other character either JUST ANYONE name it and I'll tell you I hate them. Rho our protagonist is special AHAHA TO ME she's just another annoying, brainless and stupid protagonist to me. Note to authors, stubborn female leads are so last year okay that was a bit harsh, but really no one like stubborn and stupid and reckless female protagonist who thinks they are so mighty. One thing about Rho is that she wanted to save the entire universe *claps* here's the thing don't dream big until you accomplish small, she can't even save her own house how the hell is she going to she save the universe galaxy "sighs". She's not brave people, she's stupid. I'm sorry but I just did not like Rho at all in fact I hated her. Hmm, as the holy mother did she do anything productive? I guess she did but I must have missed it because I was falling asleep and wasn't paying attention.

OH HERE WE GO Rho's other two love interest, ahaha both of them are so boring I'm just going to skip them. But I am going to talk about the crappy romance. Okay normally I don't mind love triangles, I'm not one to hate it if appropriately used and severed a purpose. BUT IN THIS BOOK I know I have no right to judge, but there is really no use of another shitty love triangle. The beauty in YA sci-fi or fantasy novels is that the romance is not like typical NA novels. The romance feels real and it connects with the readers emotions. BUT NO I ONLY FELT EMPTINESS AND BORINGNESS. The romance in this novel is extremely forced, sometimes I think there is no immediate need of romance in the beginning of the page, it could be slowly developed in.

Anyhow I'm pretty disappointed with this book, I really did want to like this book, the author herself is a really nice person :) I really hope the second one will be better then this one :D

Recommend to people who
- want to try something new
- adore love triangles
- umm weird terminology
- go on a adventure that serve no purpose to the world, just only to feel the romance?

HOPE THIS REVIEW HELPS :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zodiac.

July 17, 2014 – Shelved
July 17, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 9, 2014 – Started Reading
December 9, 2014 –
46.0% "No doubt this book is really unique and unlike anything I read. However I'm still having a hard time to connect with the characters."
December 10, 2014 – Finished Reading
December 23, 2014 – Shelved as: post-apocalyptic
December 23, 2014 – Shelved as: yet-to-finish
December 23, 2014 – Shelved as: romance
December 23, 2014 – Shelved as: scifi

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Sophia Sardothien DNF on 67% I really really want to love this book but I can't. Review to come

Erica Ravenclaw Oh boy, I had forgotten most of the details of this book. I really enjoyed reading your review, I remembered all the things I hated!

Sophia Sardothien Erica Ravenclaw wrote: "Oh boy, I had forgotten most of the details of this book. I really enjoyed reading your review, I remembered all the things I hated!"

Oh my god haha thank you! I just re-read my review and there were so many grammatical errors is embarrassing xD