Maryann's Reviews > The Imperfectionists

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

Apr 24, 2010

it was ok
Read in April, 2010

The first reviews of this book made me eager to plunge in, but I was so disappointed that I withdrew my suggestion to nominate it for our book club! I said to myself at least twice while reading this, "I hate this book." In the last 50 pages, I found some enjoyable sequences, especially the air plane ride between Abbey and the man she had just fired. Other than that story, it was not very enjoyable reading, unless perhaps one works for a newspaper and enjoys the personalities in that trade.

Overall, I could not relate to the characters or the plot, which was presented in such a disjointed manner. It was especially hard to follow for a neophyte Kindle user. Kind of like listening to the audio book of Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin without seeing the chapter headings or the table of contents. The chapter headings are deceptively timely and clever, but the plot did not live up to them.

There are so many new books out now that are SO much better.... The Infinities, Banville, The Surrendered, Lee, The Lake Shore Limited, Sue Miller, A Week in December, Faulk, the new Ian McEwan With so much superb fiction out there, this was a waste of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imperfectionists.

12/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by MFC (new) - rated it 1 star

MFC Same!!! - The reviews made me reserve it immediately and put it on the Book Club list - which I also withdrew (which is unprecedented) and before I read your review!

Maurice Conchis Hi Maryann, I respect your review, just a quick question that made me wonder, since i had the same grade as you. (Always read the same grade people, to see why they tought so)

You say the book was a waste of time, ad much of that time, you hated the book. Why do you give it three stars then? Three stars is - 'liked it'. This makes no sense to me, and wonder why.

All the best

Maryann HMMM maybe because everyone else said it was so good? Peer pressure? I may have to downgrade it to 2!

Maurice Conchis Haha, I know that feeling. I have a hard time giving Hemingway less than three, even though I don't like it that much. Stupid peer pressure :-)

Thanks for the answer.

Lars huh. so weird--i don't work for a newspaper--and i'm astonished at how great this novel is. i resisted reading it for awhile, because it struck me as one of those books that may not deserve the hype for some reason. ("age of miracles is the current book that is striking me that way.) i find myself wishing my public trans. rides to work were twice the time! haha...

Lars (while i do not subscribe to the notion that a "novel" must be a certain form, i do think this book is more of a collection of linked stories than it is a novel--as was olive kitteridge, a visit from the goon squad, etc.--but i'm loving it nevertheless.)

Stephanie I agree with you about the plane ride. In fact if just that section had ended the way I wanted it to, I might have given the book 3 stars. ;) I was already quite unhappy after the section with Craig and Annika.

Lauri Linnamäe Guess you just have to be an (ex)journalist for "The Imperfectionists" to touch you. For those who are, it gets as sweet, bitter and personal as a novel can.

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire I loved this book, recommend it to everyone all the time