Katherine Coble's Reviews > Paladin of Souls

Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold

Jul 16, 2014

bookshelves: favourite-authors, audio-version, tabled-for-later, hobbled-heroes
Read 2 times. Last read June 16, 2018.

I've saved this book for myself as a treat for nearly four years now. I'm glad I did, because it wasn't until now that I was truly ready for it.

Once again, Bujold has crafted a dynamic, real person who moves me, comforts me. I love Ista and her journey but I'll confess a strong preference still for Lupe dy Cazaril.

I'm sorry this is a disjointed, largely aimless review. Please read the book. You'll love it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paladin of Souls.

Quotes Katherine Liked

Lois McMaster Bujold
“All her old thoughts seemed as thin and ragged as a piece of knitting made and ripped out and made and ripped out again until all the threads were frayed, growing ever more worn, but never larger.”

Lois McMaster Bujold
“Anyone who desires to see the gods face-to-face is a great fool,”

Lois McMaster Bujold
“innocence based in ignorance was unfit to protect itself.”

Lois McMaster Bujold
“they would make her own short body look like a dwarf dragging a curtain.”

Lois McMaster Bujold
“The gods give no gifts without hooks embedded.”

Lois McMaster Bujold
“When the man arises who can make you laugh, solemn Ista, angry Ista, iron Ista, then will your heart be healed. You have not prayed for this: it’s a guerdon even the gods cannot give you. We are limited to such simples as redemption from your sins.”

Lois McMaster Bujold
“the gods did not desire flawless souls, but great ones. I think that very darkness is where the greatness grows from, as flowers from the soil. I am not sure, in fact, if greatness can bloom without it.”

Lois McMaster Bujold
“slowing—“in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain’s peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word. In darkness, understanding.” He”

July 16, 2014 – Shelved
May 28, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 24, 2016 – Started Reading
June 16, 2018 – Started Reading
June 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

John I am very curious to hear what you think of this book. It's one of my favorite Bujold titles.