Yasmine Alfouzan's Reviews > Fight Club

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Apr 24, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, general-fiction
Recommended for: People who loved the movie; people who like dark/weird things.
Read from October 14 to 26, 2010

Sometimes, my life is a lot like the story of Fight Club.
Struggle.
Resistance.
Bravery.
Foolishness.
Confusion.
Wanting more.
Cowardice.

I've always been a huge fan of the movie. The idea behind it, and the brilliance it emitted non-stop. I loved it so much, that I decided to read the book even though it's "ruined" now (after watching the movie 3 times).
And I'm absolutely glad I did.

I've always felt that the title of the book/movie didn't quite express what it was all about. But then again, what is it about? It absolutely depends on how you want to read it. You cannot put it in one simple category. You can get some deep thoughts while reading it, or you can think it's absolute crap. You can understand it in a totally different way.

This book is not recommended to people who do not appreciate melancholia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fight Club.

Quotes Yasmine Liked

Chuck Palahniuk
“You are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You are not your fucking khakis. You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“Today is the sort of day where the sun only comes up to humiliate you.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“I’ve met God across his long walnut desk with his diplomas hanging on the wall behind him, and God asks me, “Why?”
Why did I cause so much pain?
Didn’t I realize that each of us is a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness?
Can’t I see how we’re all manifestations of love?
I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God’s got this all wrong.
We are not special.
We are not crap or trash, either.
We just are.
We just are, and what happens just happens.
And God says, “No, that’s not right.”
Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can’t teach God anything.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“For years now, I've wanted to fall asleep. The sort of slipping off, the giving up, the falling part of sleep. Now sleeping is the last thing I want to do.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“If I could wake up in a different place, at a different time, could I wake up as a different person?”

Chuck Palahniuk
“This is your life and its ending one moment at a time.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“Tyler lies back and asks, "If Marilyn Monroe were alive right now, what would she be doing?"

I say, goodnight.

The headliner hangs down in shreds from the ceiling and Tyler says, "Clawing at the lid of her coffin.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“Maybe self-improvement isn't the answer, maybe self-destruction is the answer.”

10/21/2010 page 62
10/25/2010 page 149
68.0% 2 comments

Mustafa Sheikh the best thing is that the book is as strong and engaging as the movie,, if not even more... one of the rarest moments where Hollywood sticks to the script!

i like ur review,,, A LOT!