Katherine Coble's Reviews > The Book of Life

The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness

Jul 16, 2014

bookshelves: favourite-authors, hobbled-heroes, currently-reading
Read from October 20 to 22, 2014

These are some of my alltime favourite books, moreso now that they've concluded so beautifully.

I'm not one to love paranormal romance as a general rule. Yet this series, culminating in this lovely, enthralling book, is in my top 3.

Yes. Top 3. It ranks right up there with Harry Potter and Miles Vorkosigan. These are all books where you have a sense of kinship with the characters, where the ad hoc families become a part of your world. Or do you become part of theirs? I'm not sure which it is, to be honest.

I'm not going to recap what happens because no listing of detail can capture the experience of becoming enfolded in this universe. I'll leave you the treat of experiencing that for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Life.

Quotes Katherine Liked

Deborah Harkness
“I have a master’s degree in medieval literature. Wyverns—or firedrakes, if you prefer—were once common in European mythology and legends.” “But you . . . you’re my accountant,” Sarah sputtered. “Do you have any idea how many English majors are accountants?” Vivian asked with raised eyebrows.”

Deborah Harkness
“Baldwin had never grasped the concept of atonement. His view of Matthew’s faith was purely transactional—you went to church, confessed, and walked out a clean man. But salvation was more complicated. Philippe had come to understand that in the end, although he had long found Matthew’s constant search for forgiveness irritating and irrational.”

Deborah Harkness
“Blue had always struck her as such a serene, soothing color, yet all social media offered was endless agitation and posturing. It was worse than the court of Versailles.”

Deborah Harkness
“Malachi Smith. Crispin Jones. Suzette Boudrot. Claude Le Breton.” Matthew paused as Ransome searched the ledger’s entries for the names. “You should have kept them in chronological order instead of alphabetical. That’s how I remember them.” Ransome”

07/16 marked as: to-read