Bonnie Watchko's Reviews > Fires of Man

Fires of Man by Dan Levinson

F 50x66

A page turner-- can't wait for the next installment! As a "Trekkie" (from the original 1960s Star Trek series, not the other "generations"), this was a great read for me. Unlike the simplistic, monochromatic extra terrestrial cultures of many sci-fi stories, Levinson has crafted a complex, multi-cultural world in The Fires of Man. However, it should be noted... this is present day Earth, somehow familiar-- yet an alien, alternate world nonetheless.
The book is beautifully written with characters that are fully fleshed out and true to life--psionic powers not withstanding. Levinson does an excellent job of portraying female characters who, like their male counterparts, feel the ravages of war. Characters-- and countries-- for that matter, are neither evil nor good; but rather shades of gray along the spectrum of good and evil.
I did enjoy the literary device of chapters devoted to single characters. Although the thread that connects the characters is not fully explored in the first book of the series, I suspect the thread will be tighten in the next two installments.
This is an imaginative, well written novel that would translate well to the big screen, in my opinion. Until that happens, I'm eagerly awaiting Book 2 of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fires of Man.

Started Reading