Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽'s Reviews > Half a King

Half a King by Joe Abercrombie

bookshelves: library-has, ya-fantasy, fantasy, science-fiction, young-adult

description

There I was, peacefully reading a decent, interesting YA fantasy, a sort of Viking-flavored coming-of-age story about the adventures of a physically weak, studious 15 year old prince with a crippled hand. Prince Yarvi briefly reigns over the kingdom of Gettland when his father and brother die, but he's betrayed and abruptly descends from the throne to abject slavery. Yarvi, determined to regain the throne and take revenge on those who betrayed him, has to overcome various obstacles (and people) blocking his path, convince others to join him in his quest, and make his way across some killer terrain back to his kingdom.

description

So far, so good. It was a pretty interesting read; it felt a little bit like some other books I've read, but I wasn't throwing it at the wall or picking lint out of my navel or asking my kids if I could help them with their homework.

Then things started happening. Unexpected things. Truly surprising things. And I was all
and
description

What? You think I'm going to spoil the surprise? Go read the book!

This isn't a magical fantasy, but is set either in an imaginary world or a distant past or future of our world.

Final thoughts: This is how you end a book without irritating cliffhangers, but still leave people wanting the sequel. This book is what The False Prince wants to be when it grows up. This is the first book in a trilogy but it works fine as a standalone read.

4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half a King.

July 16, 2014 – Shelved
July 16, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2014 – Shelved as: library-has
October 12, 2014 – Started Reading
page 43
12.8% ""Trying to walk the way his father used to, eager for the fight, even though he was weak-kneed, and sore-throated, and red-eyed, and his heart was crowded with doubts. He could still smell the smoke.""
page 101
30.06% ""Once, after his father had hit him in a rage, Yarvi's mother had found him crying. The fool strikes, she had said. The wise man smiles, and watches, and learns.\n \n Then strikes."
page 216
64.29% ""They looked into each other's faces, he and this man that he had hated, plotted against, seen beaten, then struggled through the wastes beside and come to understand.""
October 13, 2014 –
page 234
69.64% ""I have a plan."\n "Does it involve a sword?"\n A pause. "All my plans do."\n "Do you have a sword?"\n Another. "No."\n "How will your plans work without one?"\n A third. "Death waits for us all.""
October 13, 2014 –
page 300
89.29% "O.o *dies* This book just took a turn from good to awesome."
October 13, 2014 – Shelved as: ya-fantasy
October 13, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 10, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 2, 2016 – Shelved as: science-fiction
August 2, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

ahhh this rating made my heart soar

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I'm understanding your love for Nothing now, Kat. :)

message 3: by Mir (new)

Mir Sounds a bit like A Conspiracy of Kings.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Miriam wrote: "Sounds a bit like A Conspiracy of Kings."

Interesting thought! I probably wouldn't have compared them, but yes, they both have that basic ruler-in-hiding plotline going. The treatment of it is quite different, though. Both great books.

message 5: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula Peloquin Definitely considering picking this up soon!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Paula wrote: "Definitely considering picking this up soon!"

It's definitely worth doing. It's a little on the rough and violent side for YA books, though (Viking type stuff).

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

sounds good. what minimum age would you say?

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ adrian (a slew of snicket) wrote: "sounds good. what minimum age would you say?"

I'd say 14 or 15.

message 9: by George (new) - added it

George Jankovic Cool review, Tadiana!

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Ooh, your images haven't loaded, Tadiana.
A casualty of this new format? : (

message 11: by Matthias (new)

Matthias They load fine here! You need to click on the review.

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ Thanks for the heads up about the kindle sale! Ive been wanting to snag tbis one for awhile!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ wrote: "Thanks for the heads up about the kindle sale! Ive been wanting to snag tbis one for awhile!"

It's a very good book, made extraordinary by an epic ending. :)

message 14: by Sherwood (new) - added it

Sherwood Smith You recommend it? I'd heard that he's all grimdark all the time.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Sherwood wrote: "You recommend it? I'd heard that he's all grimdark all the time."

I think he lightened up for this YA series, though I would say this series gets rather darker as it goes along. I haven't read his adult books -- I don't think I have the heart for it. Grimdark isn't my thing either.

message 16: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy I really liked this series.

message 17: by Bridget (new) - added it

Bridget Vollmer Nice review! Just purchased it on Kindle

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Bridget wrote: "Nice review! Just purchased it on Kindle"

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it! :)

message 19: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona I LOVE when books in a series stand alone; I've been meaning to read this one, so that moves it further up the list :D

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Fiona wrote: "I LOVE when books in a series stand alone; I've been meaning to read this one, so that moves it further up the list :D"

IKR? I'm getting really tired of series where you have to read all of them to get the whole story. Standalone books FTW!

message 21: by A. (new) - added it

A. Dawes Sounds like another ripper from Abercrombie.

message 22: by Julio (new) - added it

Julio thanks for the review! I'm even more curious about it now!

message 23: by Merethe (new) - added it

Merethe Andersen You say it could be set in our world, so no magic etc. Is this true for the whole series?.. and of so, would you still recommend it for me when I always read books with some kind of magic? I read the Graceling books, and even though there is some abilities there and such I found that I missed the magical difference to our world!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Merethe wrote: "You say it could be set in our world, so no magic etc. Is this true for the whole series?.. and of so, would you still recommend it for me when I always read books with some kind of magic? ..."

Yeah, there's actually no magic at all in this series, so if that's something you'd really miss, this probably won't be your thing.

Benji Glaab I hear father Yarvi is a deep and cunning man

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Lol, he gets amazingly devious as the series progresses.

message 27: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie You’re my book whisperer. Do you think I’d like this? How long did it take to get to the part where the plot seized you and wouldn’t let go?

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I have to admit that it was probably only the last, say, 15% that I thought was crazy good because of all the twists. The second book was very good too but I thought the third was a let-down. I’m not sure if you’d like this trilogy or not. It’s not quite grimdark fantasy like his adult books are, but it’s certainly edging that direction.