K~Terror's Reviews > Closed Hearts

Closed Hearts by Susan Kaye Quinn

liked it
bookshelves: 2014-book-challenge, buddy-reads, ss-team

Closed Hearts starts in a time period shortly after Open Minds ended. Kira and her Father are working together to mind-guard a rich client. I thought the first book of the Mindjack series was a decent start and laid a good foundation for an interesting trilogy so I was anxious to read the second book in the series. However, even though I’d read the first book just a couple of months ago, I felt completely lost through the first few chapters. Once I finally figured out Kira was working with her father and what they were doing, I felt more comfortable forging ahead with the story.

The story itself seemed to be fairly fluid and action-packed, so I’m unsure why it fell flat with me. I don’t know if I had my expectations built too high for the sequel, if it was the over-use of the word "mesh" - or if it just seemed like I was reading something partially written in a foreign language with the mind-jacking terminology more familiar to me 2 months ago, but something prevented this story from resonating with me until the last few chapters. Kira, who was an average girl in the last book, evolved into a real kick-ass heroine in Open Minds. However, in this sequel, Closed Hearts, Kira seemed like she did not resemble the same strong person and wanted to run from any challenge coming her way. This was both confusing and disappointing.

I mostly listened to this on audio but also had the ebook which I would switch too at times. The narrator spoke fast and monotone which also didn’t help. At times I found myself listening for her to take a breath rather than concentrating on the story and would have to rewind.

Without giving too much away, there were some twists and turns towards the end of the story that increased the enjoyment value of this book. However, the very end lost me again as I could not follow Kira’s reasoning which lead to her actions at the conclusion. (view spoiler) I was just left scratching my head, thinking, ‘huh?’ when all was said and done.

Book Rating: ☆☆☆
Narration Rating: ☆☆

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Closed Hearts.

July 16, 2014 – Shelved