Brian's Reviews > Atmospheres

Atmospheres by Jon Konrath

1938805

Recommended to Brian by: Arthur Graham

Kon·ra·thi·an adjective \ˈkän-rath-ēən\

: a sentence or phrase used, in caustic hyperbole, to describe the complete meaninglessness of American culture and its icons

I stumbled to Wendy's on a hate bender to fuck sluts and eat chili. I saw Judge Ito, now bald with a huge ZZ Top beard, shoveling in baked potatoes covered in bacon bits and frosty ice cream.

Konra·thian noun \ˈkōnrä-thē-ən\

: Overlord of lower-middle class America. Shrines include mega-malls, dilapidated little league stadiums and the Coney Island midway.

"Hail the dark lord of killer processed cheese food product, motherfuckers!" he yelled, before blacking out in an epileptic seizure.

Kon·rath·ian synecdoche \kin-ˈrath-ēn\

: figure of speech that stands as the final word on a particular metaphor; no better allusion can be made
: the same goes for similes

The blob of a kid looked like pure 99-cent McDonald's hamburgers and high-fructose syrup, the punchline to a joke about the failure of corn subsidies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atmospheres.

Quotes Brian Liked

Jon Konrath
“I go to look up the elevation of the Golden Gate bridge on Wikipedia, and an hour later I’m watching four guys in lucha libre masks fuck a dolphin.”
Jon Konrath, Atmospheres

July 15, 2014 – Started Reading
July 15, 2014 – Shelved
July 15, 2014 –
page 168
July 20, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Arthur Graham Waiting with bated breath.

Brian Arthur wrote: "Waiting with bated breath."

I really, truly, suck. What's worse, I took this out again the other day to read some highlighted sections and started laughing again like I did on the plane when I had to get up and go to the lav to take a moment to compose myself.

Maybe tomorrow I can steal some time away from the gods of commerce...

Nefariousbig Fuckin' A, Brian. Motherfuckin' A+! Those definitions are awesome and completely and totally 1B% accurate.

Brian Frances wrote: "Fuckin' A, Brian. Motherfuckin' A+! Those definitions are awesome and completely and totally 1B% accurate."

Right back at you! I have you and AG to thank for reading Konrath - I'm hoarding the rest of his novels to enjoy during the continual cultural collapse.

And Arthur - it certainly isn't as good as your review, but I finally wrote something (thanks for your reminder).

Nefariousbig You must subscribe to his newsletter. He's an interesting guy, indeed.

message 6: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala What an atmosphere you've created here, Brian with your well-chosen figures of speech!