Diane Holcomb's Reviews > The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles

The War of Art by Steven Pressfield

My mother sent me this book. A wise woman, my mother. She knows I face Resistance big time.

It wears many disguises, Resistance. This book rips off the masks. Ack...you again! Now I recognize the bugger. Why am I stuck? Resistance. Why can't I find time to write? Resistance. Why am I so critical, afraid, doubtful of my work? Well, you get the picture.

"To yield to Resistance deforms our spirit," says Pressfield. I've experienced that stunting. I've allowed Resistance to beat me down, to stop my creative flow.

Recently, when I was moaning about just such a fate, a friend marched to her desk and pulled out her copy of The War of Art and opened it to the last entry and shoved it in my face. "Read this," she said. My gaze focused on the last paragraph:

"Creative work is not a selfish act or a bid for attention on the part of the actor. It's a gift to the world and every being in it. Don't cheat us of your contribution. Give us what you've got."

Just the pep talk I needed.

This book is a series of pep talks for creative artists of any stripe.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War of Art.

Finished Reading