Charlie's Reviews > The Seven Year Bitch

The Seven Year Bitch by Jennifer Belle

Apr 23, 2010

it was ok

East Coast, more specifically upper-class New Yorker humor that relates closely to the dialogue from the Housewives of Manhattan. The keeping up with ‘class’ way of living is ridiculously funny, but sadly true, which makes some moments hysterical.

Frankly, despite my similarities to economics, marriage, working and raising children I could not relate to the main character. I had a hard time with Izzy’s eternal struggle of doing things just because others (in her friend circle) where doing them. Mind you, these were not small decisions, but life decisions turned trendy such as: divorce, having children, getting married and hiring nannies. I contribute my disconnect perhaps to my inexperience with NYC life. However, I depend on the author to relate such differences and create a plot and character that appeals to my sympathy. This fell very short.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Year Bitch.

April 23, 2010 – Shelved
May 2, 2010 – Started Reading
May 4, 2010 –
May 4, 2010 –
page 73
21.73% "This is the second book I've read recently about New Yorkers. I'm realizing I can not relate at all. I must be a west coast girl at heart."
May 7, 2010 –
page 73
21.73% "Since it's prom night and I have to wait up...I will get some good reading done."
May 19, 2010 –
page 73
21.73% "I'm having a tough time wanting to pick this book backup and continue."
May 25, 2010 – Finished Reading