Jurgen_i's Reviews > Children of Dune

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

Apr 23, 2010

bookshelves: classics-of-sci-fi, favorites
Read from April 23 to May 31, 2010

I post this review for three first books of the Dune series, since i cannot divide my impressions and comments among these novels. I want to write regarding Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune as a whole. No spoiling.

The main assessment is GREAT, it's must to read for everyone!

There were few small weaknesses, globally i can remember only one - sometimes the text looks monotonous: intrigues, conversations, reflections, intrigues, conversations, reflections... but they were almost all interesting. And philosophy in this book rescued me from rare boredom.
Anyway, plot is really interesting, and after the first half of every book it becomes so catchy, that it is difficult to stop reading. I may say that the plot was able to amaze me not once. For me Dune and Dune Messiah aren't two novels, but one. The second completes the first. So, it's a great idea to read further.

Now characters. Really vivid, original, and different. I liked much that they are not one-sided. Worthy to be highly praised, Herbert didn't lapse into manicheanism. Heh, there are no good, but there are some bad. I like this great realism. Central characters are sufficiently depicted to understand them very well. One also moment to emphasize - characters are developing and changing. There are some extremely interesting changes, especially in Children of Dune.

The best feature of the first book is culture. Herbert has minutely depicted how the absence of water affects the society.
But the strongest aspect of all three books is philosophical. There is a plenty of profound, sagacious, and very interesting ideas. First of all, political and social issues. As a theorist of power and politics, i may say that Herberts' thoughts about power are noteworthy. And all his philosophical contemplations can be useful - mostly as a source of further reflections.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Dune.

05/07/2010 page 110