Stephanie's Reviews > French Toast

French Toast by Glynis Astie

bookshelves: chick-lit, romance, reviewed, review-book

French Toast is a direct sequel to French Twist and it picks up almost exactly where French Twist left off. It is the second in a planned trilogy, and I'd say you definitely need to read the first one beforehand.

In this story, Sydney and Louis are now newlyweds whose newly-wedded bliss is slowly wearing off. The couple is enduring massive amounts of stress including Louis being laid off from his job, mounting bills, and the continued pursuit of perfection in the form of their second and third weddings (the first was a town hall quickie, the second will be in Cali and is Sydney’s dream wedding, and the third will be in France for Louis’ family). Sydney is quickly learning that marriage isn’t always easy as the rose-colored glasses come off, and she sometimes questions if she made the right decision in wedding Louis so quickly.

I enjoyed this story just as much as the first, as the first chronicles the whirlwind romance and the accompanying excitement, and this second installment covers real life and learning to become a wife after the wedding. Sydney and Louis face many real life obstacles that many people can relate to, but also many joys such as a new niece being born (being that I’m pregnant, I could totally relate to the hormonal pregnant sister, by the way – haha!), and the continued love and support from family and friends, but most importantly, from each other. As with the first, the dialogue was a little stiff and formal and the editing was not perfect, but as a whole, I really, really enjoyed it! The narrator, Sydney, is very casual and conversational, pulling you right into the story.

I highly recommend this series, and am anxiously awaiting book three. I feel like I really know these characters and their families, and I am dying to see where life takes them next!

Note: I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Toast.

July 15, 2014 – Shelved