tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > A Neoist Research Project

A Neoist Research Project by N. O. Cantsin

bookshelves: author-tentatively-a-convenience, neoism, philosophy

There are at least 8 major published bks of neoist history & philosophy: "The Neoist Network's First European Training Camp" (June, 1982), "Neoism Now" (1986), "The Assault on Culture" (1988), "The Art Strike Papers" (1991), "Neoism, Plagiarism & Praxis" (1995), "The House of Nine Squares" (1997), "Neoismus" (1997), & "A NEOIST RESEARCH PROJECT" (no publishing date given).

Of all of these, this one is probably by far my favorite. It's printed in stark black & white, the text is mostly in CAPITALS & has the look of having originated using a dot matrix printer - perhaps seemingly dating it from a 'poor' man's computer usage of the 1980s & 1990s. The images are in such high contrast that it's often difficult to 'read' them & they'd probably be generally incomprehensible to just about anyone but me & a very few others.

In fact, that characterizes the whole bk. WHO WD READ THIS?! Pondering, it occurs to me that only the bk's editor & myself wd read it cover-to-cover. It even seems possible that NO woman will EVER read it. & that even includes women who've participated in neoist festivals such as Gail Litfin, Casandra Von Rinteln, Eugenie Vincent, Sin-Dee Heidel, Nancy Andrews, Laure Drogoul, & etta cetera. The 1st 2 being dead is no excuse: a dedicated neoist &/or anti-neoist wd read this bk even post-mortem.

WHO ON EARTH WD GIVE A FLYING FUCK-A-DOODLE-DOO-DOO ABOUT THESE PSYCHOTIC LOSERS?! Or even understand what they're talking about?! The bk's divided into 5 sections: "ACTIVATIONS", "APT FESTS", "LANGUAGE", "NEOISM", & "REPLICATION". I'm not even sure that it's even always clear what the differences between the sections are. It's all so damned abstruse & obtuse. That, of course, is exactly why this is the most important bk on philosophy ever published. After all, "TRANSGRESSION RECOGNIZING ITSELF A LAW", right?

Have to admit, though, that the language is quite sophisticated & that advanced readers seeking opacity need not even open the cover of the bk to get the idea. Sortof. If you read no other section, make sure you read the "APT 81 TIM(NN) LAPS(NN) M(NN)MORY KRONOLOGY" for wch you'll need, unless you're about 14 yrs old w/ great eyesight (or hindsight), a magnifying lens. For that matter, read the rest of it w/ a magnifying lens - preferably outside on a very sunny day.

You cd look at this bk every day for the rest of yr life & still not be sure if the shoe's buttered on the other ft or not or if the "Blaster" & "Oz" are just figments of each other's imaginations. Personally, I support the theory in paragraph 8.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Neoist Research Project.

Started Reading
April 20, 2010 – Finished Reading
April 22, 2010 – Shelved
April 22, 2010 – Shelved as: author-tentatively-a-convenience
April 22, 2010 – Shelved as: neoism
April 22, 2010 – Shelved as: philosophy

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Moss Oh my god, challenge taken! I will buy it and read it.

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE If you can't find it at Normal's you can get it online.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Moss I can't go to Normal's because my ex-boyfriend works there, but I just bought it online.

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE Uh oh! Dare I ask who that is?! I'm one of Normal's' founders!

message 5: by Heather (last edited Apr 23, 2011 11:58AM) (new)

Heather Moss I'd rather not say, but I have always loved Normal's and was deeply dismayed to carry up my stack of books to buy about 2 years ago and find the ex standing there behind the counter. Maybe he doesn't work there anymore... but I doubt it.

message 6: by tENTATIVELY, (last edited Apr 23, 2011 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE 2 yrs ago & you're still avoiding the place?! Ha ha! I was lovers w/ (another unnamed) girl in B-More for 3&1/2 yrs & when we broke up we were still so passionate about it that over the next 17 mnths when we were in the same space w/ each other we acted as if the other wasn't there. I, at least, developed a way of looking around in wch it was as if my eyes glazed over whenever they passed where she was - as if I had a filter that prevented me from seeing her. Then, one nite at a party, I went up to her & kissed her. That was a turning point. We cd've gotten together again immediately if I'd chosen to go that way. I didn't.