Sarah's Reviews > Storm Front

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Apr 22, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, chicago, paranormal, novel, urban-fantasy
Read in July, 2008

I finally caved and started reading The Dresden Files. I just couldn't avoid it any longer. My husband had raved about them. He got our roommate to read them and she started raving about them. He borrowed the TV series from a friend and we quickly devoured that.

The series chronicles the adventures of Harry Dresden, the only Wizard listed in the phone book in Chicago. While he has private clients, Dresden primarily earns his keep as a consultant for the Chicago Police Department on unusual cases. In this installment it's a mysterious double murder.

Butcher sets such an intriguing tone, telling his stories like a classic noir detective tale. Then there's our hero who is clearly a reluctant one, but also clearly interested in doing the right thing. Plus Butcher has a great sense of comic timing, managing to sprinkle his dry humor throughout his suspenseful tales in just the right parts to bring the biggest laugh.

This is one of those genre-specific series that I don't mind recomending to a wider audience. The noir feel really makes me think that mystery lovers would find this series just as compelling as sci-fi/fantasy readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Front.