Echo's Reviews > Ice

Ice by M.S. Watson

Jul 14, 2014

it was ok

My first impressions of Ice were not particularly favourable. Having studied Classics, I found the characterisation of the Greek gods to be lacking, especially when the mighty Poseidon forgot to change his clothes and needed to hide in the bushes to avoid detection.

The storyline was interesting enough that I read on to see what would happen, but ultimately, the writing style had me less immersed in the story as bemused about the odd wording and inconsistencies (especially chronological ones). For example, at one point the MC went from worried that torrential rain will soak her to shaking off the light mist. Another phrase I found particularly strange: ‘Freedom so close I could taste its toxicity.’ This could be a poetic turn of phrase about the liberties of those who fate cannot control, but I doubt it.

Both the main characters had some serious temper issues that I just could not identify with, so that made it hard for me to get involved with them and their story. Characters I would have thought were important to earlier scenes suddenly turned up a third of the way through - like best friends who hadn’t been around for the previous week of turmoil or 18th birthday party's.

Lastly, the characters seemed to switch temperaments at the end, the reasoning for which I didn't understand or see explained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ice.

Started Reading
July 12, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 14, 2014 – Shelved

message 1: by Holly DeSouza (new)

Holly DeSouza I totally agree, writing style killed it for me. I knew this was going to more or less be a YA read, but it reads like a 5th grader wrote it. Both the rain and the hiding in bushes thing bugged the $hit outta me, and a handful of times "finned women" was used instead of mermaids. I gave it my best shot, but ended up bailing after only an hour. Killed my reading buzz lol. Lame sauce