Suzana Vuksanovic's Reviews > The Gap Into Madness: Chaos and Order

The Gap Into Madness by Stephen R. Donaldson

Apr 22, 2010

Read in April, 2010

This series is every bit as good as Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and (for me) the even better Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
Stephen Donaldson's writing style is most suited to the epic novel (or novels). As he progresses through intricately woven plots he builds empathy and antipathy for characters whose roles relative to eachother he gradually reverses over time - almost leaving the reader unawares - until we find that we are rooting for the ones we started off hating and booing the ones we thought were heroes at the start. The emotive implications are deep and involved for each character, plumbing the depths of a particular human being's virtues and degradation to their ultimate conclusion, both in and of themselves, and in relation to the other character's as they swap roles in the story.
From victim to oppressor to savior and round about and back again, Stephen Donaldson keeps you guessing and surprised throughout each novel in the series again and gain both in plot and character (which of course are intricately linked) - and he does it with the consummate finesse of a master.
I have just started the fifth book, which I am luxuriously equipped to read in the original hardcover release (the previous four I own are all in paperback). I have raced through this epic, sometimes far into the night - it has been that compelling. But something holds me back from rushing it now otherwise the pleasure and suspense and consummation will be over to quick...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gap Into Madness.

07/18/2017 marked as: read