Shannon's Reviews > Midnight Rescue

Midnight Rescue by Elle Kennedy

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, romance, audiobook

Ergh. Everything about this book made me angry. Everyone has been abused, suffered some great trauma in their lives, blah blah (and don't get me wrong, I love me some damaged characters, but you've got to handle it well - this felt more like one-upmanship. "Oh, I see your trauma, and I raise you my trauma"). Way too much violence against women, women who survived horrific circumstances but still require men to save them from themselves, men who tell said women that its different with them, even though they're blatantly manipulating the women and NOT LISTENING WHEN THEY SAY NO - GAHHHH!!!

And don't get me started on the women who use sex as a tool/weapon who then get guilt-shamed when they meet THE man. Even though the women in this story are supposedly kickass assassins-for-hire, this book is fundamentally flawed, spouting the same old misogynistic crap in the guise of "strong" women - who actually need men to tell them what to do and reveal to them everything they've done wrong in their lives.

Not sure why I'm giving this two stars, probably only because I managed to finish the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Rescue.

July 13, 2014 – Started Reading