C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

bookshelves: read-2014, young-adult, paranormal, 5-star

Oh wow. I haven't read a lot of vampire books, but this is completely different to what I've tried. I adored this! At times I was dubious...there were sections that made me think I wasn't going to rate it high. But then -- BOOM -- the beautiful writing, the epic ending, the horrible backstory. I'M SOLD. But in all honesty: this needs be a movie. It would be fabulous.

I admit! I was pretty dubious for the first 50%. I didn't understand a lot of the reasonsings behind the plot. So it felt weak to me, and I also worried that I'd misread things because they didn't make sense. BUT DON'T WORRY. That aaaall sorts out. I got my answers. It became crystal clear. It's turning into the kind of book that grows on you. The more I think about it, the more I realise I loved it. Just get past the initial, "So you wanna run the plot be me again, luv?" feeling.

The writing is gorgeous. It really reminds me of Cassandra Clare's writing actually. It's HUGE on the details, but they're make the world real and you can see and taste it. Which is a bit scary in this book, because everything is covered in blood. Blood everywhere. Yay. Vampires. But seriously, if you're dubious about vampires but LOVE epic world-building, then this is for you. I'd say the writing style is the strongest part.

The characters? I wasn't so keen on. Our narrator is Tana. I liked her. But I struggle to describe her character to you. She was tugged along by circumstances, but definitely brave and capable. Just maybe a little unrelatable to me. (Totally could be just me though.) Gavriel is the psycho vampire she rescues. (That actually confused me SO much why she helped him. Why was he tied up? Why would she help him? What the --??!) I guess to sum Tana up you'd say: rescuer. And what I loved about her is she could rescue herself. Gav took a while to grow on me, but he was insane. I like insane characters.

I also loved the death quotes (omg, that sounds bad) at the beginning of each chapter. I'm not sadistic! I swear! I just...they were interesting, okay?

I feel really inspired after reading this! Like I want to go write something epic and urban fantasy! Or I want to make my own writing worlds strong and more detailed. That's how I know I've read a good book. It makes me want to improve my own storytelling abilities.

What I had a problem with, though was (view spoiler)

Also: The last chapter is my very, very favourite. This quote is. the. best: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Holly Black
“He reached into the bag and drew out an odd array of manga, ripped paperbacks of books both classic and modern, and a small stack of crumpled magazines. "See, I even brought some things to read aloud. I wasn't sure what you'd like, so there's a bit of everything.”

Holly Black
“Every hero is the villain of his own story.”

Holly Black
“If she was going to die, she might as well die sarcastic.”

Holly Black
“Clever girl. You play with fire because you want to be burnt.”

Holly Black
“We all wind up drawn to what we're afraid of, drawn to try to find a way to make ourselves safe from a thing by crawling inside of it, by loving it, by becoming it.”

Holly Black
“Even from the beginning, that was the problem. People liked pretty things. People even liked pretty things that wanted to kill and eat them.”

Holly Black
“But if you didn't believe in monsters, then how were you going to be able to keep safe from them?”

Holly Black
“Death has his favorites, like anyone. Those who are beloved of Death will not die.”
tags: death

July 12, 2014 – Started Reading
July 12, 2014 – Shelved
July 12, 2014 –
page 160
38.19% "I like , but certain aspects are confusing. Like what's this whole Thorn thing with Gavriel? And how long, out of Midnight and Winter, till I remember which is which?"
July 13, 2014 –
page 285
68.02% "Still good but waiting for it to escalate to awesome..."
July 13, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
July 13, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 13, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
July 13, 2014 – Finished Reading
October 24, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Finn Longman I loved this book.

C.G. Drews I know! I can't remember why...but it came up in a FB conversation and that's why I got it from the library. Your recs are obviously the best. ;)

Mutmainna The beginning was a little slow and confusing for me too, but apart from that it's one of my most favorite paranormal-vampire reads so far xD

Finn Longman I feel strongly about books, so I guess if you have similar taste to me I'm good at recommending books... :)

My review explains what it is that I liked: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

C.G. Drews Mutmainna: You and me both then!! I was dubious and then BOOM all the awesomeness set in. I couldn't put it down for the last 200 pages.

Miriam: I'm off to read it!

message 6: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland I'm not such a fan of scary vampire books but I love Holly Black's work and I really liked this :)

C.G. Drews @Jen: I hadn't come across vampires that were done....differently. You know? I think Holly Black did an amazingly fresh and fabulous spin! I'm a fan. xD

Selena How do you get the sentences bolded?

message 9: by C.G. (last edited Apr 26, 2015 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Selena: If you look above, say, this comment box there's words like "add book/author" and "(some html is ok)". If you click the HTML one it comes up with a list of html you can use. :-) So to bold you go < b > (without the spaces) and then to close the bold tags you go < / b >.

Selena Where do u see that?

helen❣️ OHMYGOD I LOVED THIS NOVEL TOO BECAUSE THIS IS THE TYPE OF VAMPIRES I LIKE. AND IT NEEDS TO BE A MOVIE ASAP!