Kayt's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

Apr 20, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from July 06 to 14, 2012

So, I wasn't sure what to expect. Eight years after Graceling, Bitterblue is solidly queen but is still dealing with a country--and herself--reeling from the effects of being ruled by a supernaturally gifted sadistic psychopath. Who was also her father.

I really liked the young Bitterblue of Graceling, but she wasn't there much. I personally had mixed (although ultimately positive) feelings about that book; Katsa just never connected with me, and I wanted more details about the world they lived in.

However, I loved its prequel/companion Fire. Adored it. So obviously Kristin Cashore can write wonderful fantasy. And, luckily, this was also a great book. However, it does lack the fast pace of the previous two: no battle scenes, but a lovely (and deliciously long!) story about a young woman with the burden of a country on her shoulders, trying to figure out what to do and how to do it.

I admit, I had to stop reading initially when Bitterblue starts sneaking out. So cliche! And so ripe for abuse! When I could bring myself to read again, though, it wasn't nearly as bad as I though, and it provided Bitterblue--and us--a chance to learn more about her country and how it's dealing.

...Huh. None of this really sounds like a glowing endorsement, does it? Bitterblue doesn't have the same qualities that Graceling and Fire did, where they immediately transport you to a fantasy land with action and mysteries. And unlike those two, you'd definitely have to read at least one of the other books to understand this one.

But still, it's a great way to expand the world and characters e were introduced to previously, finally giving me some of the answers I wanted, and though it starts slow, it definitely draws you in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.