Shy's Reviews > Foundation

Apr 20, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: misty
Read from May 09 to 11, 2010 , read count: 1

I hope that this is the start of a trilogy, or at least a duology, and not a standalone book in the Valdemar series because the whole book feels very much like a build up to something bigger. It reads ninety percent character development and setting and a very teeny weeny bit of action at the end. Also, it leaves quite a few issues unresolved. (Ok, since posting this I've learned this book is the start of the Chronicles series so perhaps this book is more kindly viewed as a set up to "Intrigues" coming out later this year.) Like some of her more recent Valdemar novels, it's targeted at younger readers and has young characters with reassuring adults in the background as supports. I miss her portrayal of do-good adults with deep flaws that nevertheless prevail over their hardships. Having said that, I am a self-confessed Misty junkie and I am happy to feed my addiction by diving into the Valdemar universe at any time and relive the romantic escape from my teenage angst-ridden years. If rereading the whole series in its chronological sequence I would most certainly reread this in its proper place, though the simplified writing would, I suspect, be a bit of a downer between the excellently written Last Herald Mage trilogy and Vows and Honor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation.

05/09/2010 page 1