Diane Holcomb's Reviews > The Rosie Project

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

I was attending a book trade show with a coworker, chatting with the rep from Simon & Schuster, when another bookseller strolled by and said, "You must read The Rosie Project. I know it's not the right genre for your store, but read it anyway. Quick...give them a copy!"

The rep gave us the last available copy. My coworker read it first. I had to purchase my own copy because she wouldn't let it go. It's that good.

A lovely story with an original premise: Don, a genetic scientist with Asperger Syndrome, decides it's time to get married. So he writes an elaborate questionnaire to screen potential wives. Then along comes Rosie, a highly unqualified candidate, who he thinks is responding to his quest, but in fact she is on a quest of her own: to locate her biological father. The two team up for The Rosie Project, surreptitiously gathering the DNA of all the men who might possibly be Rosie's father.

I hear that the book is going to be made into a film, but I'm not sure how it will translate to the screen. The most intriguing aspect of the novel is that the reader is privy to Don's thought processes. His methodical take on other people's behavior and social interactions are, to my mind, hilariously logical. You can't help but fall in love with Don, a loner desperate for love who is unable to connect to another human--until Rosie comes along, and pushes all his buttons.

A modern-day romance with great heart, sensitivity and wit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rosie Project.

Finished Reading