Allison's Reviews > O, Juliet

O, Juliet by Robin Maxwell

Apr 20, 2010

This version of Romeo and Juliet is similar to the original in so many ways, but vastly different in others. The basic story is there, but the location (Florence, this time), supporting characters, most names, and overall feel have been changed.

Shakespeare's original is centered upon the meeting and short romance of the two main characters; lovers who try to overcome insurmountable obstacles while we watch from the outside. Robin Maxwell turns it inward, where we get to really know this Romeo and Juliet. She is smart, educated in a time when most women weren't. He is unexpectedly funny, while still being sensitive and romantic. Both are devoted fans of Dante and strive to write lines as beautiful as his.

O, Juliet falls into cliche at times, making it superficial when it could have been deep. And even though there were a few cringe inducing changes, overall I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. When you're in the mood for a romance that you know will bring on the tears, this is a good go-to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read O, Juliet.