Nancy's Reviews > Humor Me: An Anthology of Funny Contemporary Writing

Humor Me by Ian Frazier

Apr 20, 2010

bookshelves: first-reads, short-stories, did-not-finish
Read in April, 2010

The introduction to this book seemed sort of silly and kind of put me off, but some of the stories are well worth the read.

My husband couldn't sleep one night. He picked up this book which I had left on the couch. He found parts so funny he couldn't stop laughing. He insisted on reading me sections the next morning. He particularly liked "Lamentations of the Father" which is a set of biblical style instructions to children on table manners. It is by Ian Frazer who edited the book and wrote the introduction I found silly. A month later he saw the book on the dining room table and again opened to "Lamentations of the Father" and started laughing and reading me sections.

If my husband were a Goodreads member, he'd surely give this book 5 stars. He rarely gets this excited about a book.

I might never finish it but my take is that the rest of the stories are uneven. On my own, I'd give it 3 stars. I've given the book 4 stars to show the "average" between the two of us. Humor can be quite personal. Clearly some people REALLY like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Humor Me.