Sandy's Reviews > A Matter of Sin

A Matter of Sin by Jess Michaels

The widowed Lady Isabel Avenbury has decided to take a lover after seeing her single younger sister get marry. For this to happen, she and her sister Serena agrees to go to a house party hosted by the Marquis of Lyndham and his mother. Having married at a young age so that she can provided for her younger sisters since her parent's death, she has lost her youth basically. The happiness and pleasure that she have lost, she intends to achieve it with a lover in a sense. What she didn't expect was to encounter the notorious book, Ladies Book of Pleasure which she and her friends were talking about before coming to the party.

Seth Rowland, Marquis of Lyndham, has recently come into title after his older brother's death and needs to take a young bride to get an heir hence the house party. His friend, Jason, who is also at the party brought the Ladies Book of Pleasure with him and gives it to Seth. Jason leaves the book in the library but neither he or Seth would think that someone would take the book. The culprit, Isabel, happens upon the book when she wanted to get a book that will help her sleep but it was the opposite. Both Seth and Isabel are attracted to each other and have decide to embark on an affair during the time at the house party. They both know that marriage between them is impossible because of Seth's duty for an heir. Since Isabel could not provide an heir for her late husband, she considers herself barren (I really hope not) and thinks herself not suited for Seth who needs an heir.

I really love this book. The sneaking around at night to be in each other's arm to trying to contain the growing attraction they have for each other was sweet. They knew that they were falling in love with each other but the duty of having an heir stands in their way. Seth's friend, Jason, does a good job at speaking the truth to Seth. I love his character and can't wait for his own book. Jason could tell that Seth was struggling between his duty and happiness. We didn't see much of Jacinda in this book but Grace was a delight. During the party, she knew about the affair between Isabel and Seth but didn't care as she wanted Isabel to be happy. Although I can tell that she has a bit wickedness to herself from her personality. Isabel's sisters are a delight as well. Serena, I didn't like her as much during half of the book but at the end, I love her! I hope she finds someone who cares and loves her.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Matter of Sin.

July 10, 2014 – Shelved