Kristan's Reviews > Where Willows Won't Grow

Where Willows Won't Grow by Lia Black

bookshelves: dark, hurt-comfort, law-enforcement, loves-landscapes, sci-fi, memorable

I had to force myself to push through this book. This was dark; I'm not one for dub-con and rape, and I don't often venture into sci-fi, but I'm happy I did. I'm shocked (in a really good way) over how much I ended up liking this story.

The world building was very well done and I especially appreciate that there where no large pieces of info dump. The attention to detail was excellent and the setting, as a result, was a rich, and unique alien environment that felt authentic.

I loved the two MCs and their struggle and I enjoyed the way in which the story conflict was resolved. My only complaint would be that the ending chapters read more like an epilogue. There was a gap in between the story and those chapters where I would have liked to see more (even if it was just one scene). It felt a little rushed where the rest of the story had wonderful pacing.

My small niggle aside, this was very well written, with excellent characters (good and bad) and I'm really happy I gave this a try.

Thanks to the author for their time and participation in this event.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Willows Won't Grow.

July 9, 2014 – Started Reading
July 10, 2014 – Shelved as: loves-landscapes
July 10, 2014 – Shelved as: sci-fi
July 10, 2014 – Shelved as: memorable
July 10, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sunny Great review!

I wish I'd written this in mine :)

Kristan Thank you :)